Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: dealing with tantrum spirals  (Read 1958 times)

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dealing with tantrum spirals
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 05:46:22 pm »

Then, they just huddle in their room and wait.  If someone in the fort dies, no one cares because no one is friends with anyone.
Welcome to fort EMO!  :D

Psst... Beware the dogs... they're everywhere and they're always watching...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 05:47:18 pm »

btw, no dogs.  Mod wolves, [COMMON_DOMESTIC] and [TRAINABLE].

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 07:21:57 pm »

I say you just kill any tantrumers. Eventually you'll kill everyone who had friends.

Or just not abandon. Y'know ya might pull through.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 07:44:57 pm »

Statue garden does the trick for me :P
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 08:18:03 pm »

Keep your dwarves happy.  REALLY happy.  One of my personal goals is an entire fort with every dwarf perma-ecstatic.  For most of them, it doesn't even drop below ecstatic when their child dies.

Make sure your brewers and cooks are legendary, and when they eat some of their ¤1250 ¤quarry bush leaf roast¤ in their legendary dining room after sleeping in their royal bedrooms and drink some of their prefered alcohol type, they get some absurd 500 happiness bonus that is enough to counteract almost any negative thought.

I also look at their preferences screen, and try to put dwarves on something where they would see their preferences quite a bit, like dwarves who like green glass become glass blowers.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 08:24:22 pm »

Is there an easy way to check preferences?  Like, Dwarf Therapist can search up skills and attributes (like empathy and such) but is there a way to easily find preferences?

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 03:43:57 am »

btw, no dogs.  Mod wolves, [COMMON_DOMESTIC] and [TRAINABLE].

What about elephants?
This would be hilarious.
I like elephants...

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 05:41:18 am »

I've been experimenting with dining-room-less forts to cut down on friendship. They get a (LARGE) zoned meeting area with nothing in it so they don't go wandering off all over the map, and then every dwarf gets a 3x3 bedroom with bed, cabinet, table and chair so they can eat in their own rooms. Then they tend to go and hang out there (on their own) instead of the meeting area. They definitely make fewer friends although it's a bit of a depressing work camp scenario. With that and keeping everyone busy all the time in a megaproject fort with big stone stockpiles, I didn't have a single marriage for three years (I usually get at least two romance/marriages over the first winter).

Are you providing cooked food and a variety of booze? As NW_Kohaku says good food is a huge morale booster for dwarves. I pretty much always cook lavish meals right from the start, I bring a proficient cook and brewer.

Apparently having a jail and justice system helps with a tantrum spiral in progress, because the fortress guard will haul off tantrumers straightaway and then they can't hurt anyone else. This of course implies that you still have a functioning fortress guard by that point.

One other thing that you can do is make an emergency bunker with a farm and a few bits of furniture ready-made. If the fort does get overrun or the tantrum spiral is unstoppable, you'll surely have at least a few dwarves with "doesn't really care about anything any more". Those dwarves are extremely unlikely to go nutso. Get those guys into the bunker with a burrow, then close up and let the rest of the fort sink or swim. Also known as the Headshoots Solution. Worst case scenario your survivors can wait until migrants arrive, then open up again.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 07:34:10 am »

The bomb shelter is actually a very valid design.  Used best, you make a small self-sustained area, with a still, modest farm plot (think 3x3) a bed, and lots of levers.  Then lock someone inside it as soon as they migrate over.  Not even lock in, but wall them in.  They must have zero contact with the outside world.  The benefits of this are twofold.  1) Someone is always there to pull your levers.  No matter what, your gates will close and your magma will flow.  And 2) Someone will always survive.  You will never lose your fort.  Even if everyone is slaughtered, their corpses rotting in the sun while your fort gurgles in the magma of its broken traps, like a dying animal poisoned by its own ruptured intestines, there will still be one survivor, and there will still be migrants.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 07:42:06 am »

The bomb shelter is actually a very valid design.  Used best, you make a small self-sustained area, with a still, modest farm plot (think 3x3) a bed, and lots of levers.  Then lock someone inside it as soon as they migrate over.  Not even lock in, but wall them in.  They must have zero contact with the outside world.  The benefits of this are twofold.  1) Someone is always there to pull your levers.  No matter what, your gates will close and your magma will flow.  And 2) Someone will always survive.  You will never lose your fort.  Even if everyone is slaughtered, their corpses rotting in the sun while your fort gurgles in the magma of its broken traps, like a dying animal poisoned by its own ruptured intestines, there will still be one survivor, and there will still be migrants.

their corpses rotting in the sun while your fort gurgles in the magma of its broken traps, like a dying animal poisoned by its own ruptured intestines,

like a dying animal poisoned by its own ruptured intestines,

Nice whay to think of it?  ???

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 07:47:19 am »

I'm feeling poetic, and also sadistic.  Coincidentally this means I feel like toying with DF raws.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 07:56:06 am »

You will never lose your fort.  Even if everyone is slaughtered, their corpses rotting in the sun while your fort gurgles in the magma of its broken traps, like a dying animal poisoned by its own ruptured intestines, there will still be one survivor, and there will still be migrants.
Ad slabs for berserk-ghost removal.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 08:06:51 am »

For efficient slabbing, quantum stockpile stone for the hermit to utilize.  Alternatively, leave the burial process for the next migrant wave, and let them inherit the mess.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 08:23:40 am »

- or pick (place to build slabs is also important)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 08:28:07 am »

Ah, just for the records... In every ambush that I got, the goblins were leaded by a human leader. Is this normal?

I think either the human is from a civilization alied with the goblins , either there were snatched into there childhood , either there outlaws (forget it , i don't relly on the last one)
Desu
Pages: 1 [2] 3