Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Real dungeon keeper successor wanted.  (Read 3247 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
A Real dungeon keeper successor wanted.
« on: January 31, 2011, 06:47:23 am »

ok i have been trying so hard to find another dungeon keeper game or something like that and well there have been a few going round for a while now, and one in particular is Dungeon's. But im expecting it to be shit from what i have seen this have just destroyed what dungeon keeper was...

i mean come on has no developer thought about remaking it??!! i mean a true remake which did not make the game a pile of crap and kept to the main core mechanics of DK: you own your dungeon you have to stop the hero's from taking your loot while fighting off another dungeon keeper who is also trying to mine the gold from the walls. a multiplayer mechanic would have been nice for DK aswell :/.

and dungeon's really did kill its self i mean what where they thinking when they put in a area of influence, and monsters were just generic spawns now and not sometihng which could come and leave your dungeon when ever it wanted. and hero needs?! i would prefer just to slaughter them ¬¬.

i mean i would kill for a Real dungeon keeper successor be it a Indy game, a rouge like.

He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Real dungeon keeper successor wanted.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 06:54:26 am »

I wouldn't make it 'rouge-like' in the ascii graphics or turnbased sense. What way did you mean.

The original dungeon keeper concept isn't actually that complex to make, the hardest parts, from what I can see, would be the story lines and the comical creatures. The base engine behind it and the limited ai set are pretty simple.

If I was looking at doing something like this I'd grab the ogre3d engine and knock up a quick crappily drawn tile based map with walls and some basic blobby creatures, the get someone to do some simple concept art while we worked on the creature behaviours. I probably wouldn't bother with the story line, despite how fun it was, and just go with a sandbox. For the first version at least.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 06:59:25 am »

I wouldn't make it 'rouge-like' in the ascii graphics or turnbased sense. What way did you mean.

The original dungeon keeper concept isn't actually that complex to make, the hardest parts, from what I can see, would be the story lines and the comical creatures. The base engine behind it and the limited ai set are pretty simple.

If I was looking at doing something like this I'd grab the ogre3d engine and knock up a quick crappily drawn tile based map with walls and some basic blobby creatures, the get someone to do some simple concept art while we worked on the creature behaviors. I probably wouldn't bother with the story line, despite how fun it was, and just go with a sandbox. For the first version at least.

i meant ASCII graphics and stuff for rouge like. I know its not that hard so i don't see why someone, anyone has not gone and made a really decent effort at remaking this game !! :'(. and i would try and make it my self, but i don't have the time or the skills :(.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 07:05:38 am »

.... Dwarf Fortress? :p

Jokes aside, there are a couple. Only two pages back in this forum, there was one that was a blatant rip off. Also, other games like "Evil Genius" and whatnot. I am sure you can find others  around that are at least reminiscent.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 07:10:59 am »

Only two pages back in this forum, there was one that was a blatant rip off.

Where? want :)
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 07:13:40 am »

Only two pages back in this forum, there was one that was a blatant rip off.

Where? want :)

i think he's on about dungeon's and its on this page. but really the games utter shit ¬¬ its nothing like dungeon keeper, i complained about it in the OP

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 07:17:09 am »

Yeah, instead of being a Dungeon Master who uses his minions to get him more gold, kill unwanted adventures looking for loot and other DM's who want it it's more of a Theme Park Dungeon >.>
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 07:22:22 am »

Yeah, instead of being a Dungeon Master who uses his minions to get him more gold, kill unwanted adventures looking for loot and other DM's who want it it's more of a Theme Park Dungeon >.>
I can see it now, because of this post we will have a remake of the Theme Park games but in the Dungeons of Fantasy. You have doomed us all to this. And when it arises, we will all know who to point our angry fingers and pitchforks at...

But in all seriousness. I would love to see another TRUE Dungeon Keeper game. Evil Genius did sate my evil ways for a bit, but it only had two true missions, and they played exactly the same in both...

Hmmm, if I ever learn how to make a game, this is one of the things I would try...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 07:24:25 am »

I can see it now, because of this post we will have a remake of the Theme Park games but in the Dungeons of Fantasy. You have doomed us all to this. And when it arises, we will all know who to point our angry fingers and pitchforks at...

I thought they already did? that's why I don't like the new game as it's not even origianl in that respect.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 07:34:45 am »

That game has it's own thread to rant in, please lets get back on topic.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 07:37:40 am »

True, sorry.

I'd have a go at making an ASCII roguelike but my skills are not near good enough.

Out of interet, what would people like in the possible remake? A list of items that you want would be good.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 07:44:46 am »

True, sorry.

I'd have a go at making an ASCII roguelike but my skills are not near good enough.

Out of interet, what would people like in the possible remake? A list of items that you want would be good.

well stick true to DK 1..
would also like multilayer, more rooms, more monsters and stuff monsters have personality's and stuff

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 07:46:54 am »

So DK1 but more basically?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 07:48:28 am »

But if you where actually going to build it I'd start with the imps, a single creature and a hero type in a fairly generic mineable area then build on that.

You'd need to include the standard room types of course but that is simple enough and limited creature set means easier ai to start with.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 08:21:16 am »

Hmm, the way I would like to see the artwork would be like the 2d characters in a 3d world that DK1 did, but with proper pixelart instead of 3d renders.

stearing away from DK universe content wise might be a good call though, I CALL FUNGUSSMEN :D
Pages: [1] 2