Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Personal mods?  (Read 6295 times)

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Personal mods?
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2011, 03:39:28 am »

Actually I just had an idea.

What if there was a workshop where a dwarf could muse about everything, and come up with ideas.

Then you could take the ideas, try to put them together, and maybe come up with an innovation.

And then, that innovation would be a reagent (with the reserve reagent tag) in all the ultra cool stuff we want to add, but dont because it seems a little too good.

Or maybe you take the innovation, several ideas, and some 'stuff' and turn it into a blueprint, and that becomes your non-expended reagent - giving you the ability to choose where your innovations go first.

It should even be possible to create a full on tech tree, where later branches of the tree need innovations and blue prints from earlier parts of the tree.

Aww fuck it - I gotta go do some modding now - kkthanksbai

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2011, 04:11:42 am »

Sounds like you want to do actual industry, with the development stage and all.  As in, an armorsmith does not make weapons.  Instead, they sit in a library and draw pieces of armor, which becomes a Blueprint item.  That blueprint is then used at an actual forge to produce the needed equipment.  Interesting idea, to be sure, especially if the blueprint had a chance of being consumed during use (can't just make a stock and then store them away!)  This would essentially take crafting out of the apprentice/trade era and into the industrial era.  Of course, some things are simple, after all a helmet is just an upside down bowl, but a padded, ventilated helmet with maximum coverage and lightweight frame.  That would be a bit more complex.  As an added bonus, some specialized factories could come about, like the Armor Forge, which requires something fire-safe, maybe a few pipes, an anvil, and a metal box for good measure, and also requires the blueprints for each piece of armor to be included in the actual construction, effectively turning these loose pieces of paper into a centralized location to streamline productivity.

The only issue I can see, is the product's end value.  A masterwork helmet blueprint may produce a no-quality helmet, because the factory worker has no significant skill.  This may be mod-able within the regent area though.  I feel though, that the literature side of things could use work.  If there were reactions to change mood, that would be wonderful.

Urist has been happy lately.  He read a good book lately.  He visited the mermaid brothel zoo lately.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2011, 05:14:15 am »

For a moment their I thought he was going to suggest Inception. Like the idea though.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2011, 10:27:05 pm »

So, what's with these "rock" layers, and how do I get rid of them?
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2011, 09:12:57 am »

I mod in gems that the game and some mods don't already include (lavrakite, hematite as a workable stone as well as iron ore, labradorite, kambaba jasper, etc.) and once I tried adding new decorations for artifacts but couldn't quite figure out where to put them in the raws.  Also different items such as diadems, goggles, etc.

Given my fetish for science, I must include goggles for my next re-gen.  Care to share that raw snip for goggles?

If you're talking about decorations like "Menacing with spaces of..." and "adorned with hanging rings of..." that's in the entity file.  Particularly at... "[ITEM_IMPROVEMENT_MODIFIER:SPIKES:384]"  This is a subjective number, much like POP_RATIO for creatures, it determines how frequently this type of decoration will be used.  As for how to add new ones or modify the text, well, ask on the modding forums :P

Alas, that version of DF died when I had a computer mishap. But I can tell you that all I did was copy a RAW for helmets, then replace helmet with goggles and make appropriate changes in the racial raws so the dorfs would make them....I think. Been a while back, and I don't fully recall. :(
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Elu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2011, 11:08:25 am »

Actually I just had an idea.

What if there was a workshop where a dwarf could muse about everything, and come up with ideas.

Then you could take the ideas, try to put them together, and maybe come up with an innovation.

And then, that innovation would be a reagent (with the reserve reagent tag) in all the ultra cool stuff we want to add, but dont because it seems a little too good.

Or maybe you take the innovation, several ideas, and some 'stuff' and turn it into a blueprint, and that becomes your non-expended reagent - giving you the ability to choose where your innovations go first.

It should even be possible to create a full on tech tree, where later branches of the tree need innovations and blue prints from earlier parts of the tree.

Aww fuck it - I gotta go do some modding now - kkthanksbai

"Lord Urist mcMayor! the Overseer has sent some new migrant, they are strange, wear glass thing on eyes and bring sumthing they call 'tech tree' "
"what?! a tech tree in my fortress? a TREE? in  MY FORTRESS? evacuate the fortress immediately and pull the magma armageddon lever. i'll stay here and lock myself in with those cursed tree-lover abomination"
"but"
"do as i ordered at once. overseer's will or not no tree will enter CandlePlate and survive when i'm the mayor"
/bad jokes

it will be awesome! maybe not just for armor but also extend the research to other buildings like "multi-ballista", a ballista that require ballista and mechanic II techs or something like that...
also "researching" will be a nice work for nobles, i mean make a laboratory, put a DAS in it for "scientific" purposes and nobles that "disappear" will be remembered as scientist who give their life for science, instead of useless babbling booze-consumer tragically crushed by a bridge... however, i don't have any modding knowledge, but isn't this thing so much big and tied with the game itself that is in Toady's own sphere
Dwarf Fortress, a game which learning curve is a Himalayan trail covered in blood. and alcohol. on fire.

English is not my mother tongue, please point out my mistakes and help me improve it : )

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2011, 06:50:29 pm »

The moment Dwarf Fortress gets a tech-tree, I'm modding it out. :P

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2011, 07:21:08 pm »

I experimented with a 'no stupid bullshit' mod for 40d, modding out all clothes and armor other than a single overall 'clothes' and one single all-covering suit of armor, reducing the number of available weapons to 1 per category, modding out cats, and so forth, removing all toy-types and replacing them with the one type 'toy', all cups etc, just basically all the stupid bullshit.  Because making socks and trying to figure out how many more high boots and greaves I need just doesn't add to the fun-factor.

But then the new version came along and I've just been too lazy to redo it all since then.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2011, 07:48:35 pm »

The moment Dwarf Fortress gets a tech-tree, I'm modding it out. :P
An actual defined tech-tree, or a more formal version of the 'you have to make this before you can make that' system that's only really present in vanilla for longer processes like soap and steel? The wizard mod in particular requires several steps to unlock (so to speak) the philosopher's stone, but there's no one thing that's used as currency to spend on advancing your reaction options.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2011, 10:02:37 pm »

There will likely never been a traditional tech tree, where something is impossible until you do a certain thing, but tech trees are already in place to an extent, like the entire production of steel, and plant-thread-yarn-dye-clothes, not to mention soap and various forms of glass.  Production lines will, and do, happen, but not really a tech tree.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2011, 10:23:10 pm »

Orcs. That is all.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Syraine

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORGOTTEN_MERCY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2011, 11:31:36 pm »

Hostile horses with stealth and embark spiders, tamable Forgotten Beasts. Artifacts that menace with spikes of owl.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 11:34:51 pm by Syraine »
All games contain tamable spiders.

All spiders can set traps.

One of my fortresses contains a troll made of flame. http://www.nineplanets.org/pluto.html

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2011, 12:14:53 pm »

There will likely never been a traditional tech tree, where something is impossible until you do a certain thing, but tech trees are already in place to an extent, like the entire production of steel, and plant-thread-yarn-dye-clothes, not to mention soap and various forms of glass.  Production lines will, and do, happen, but not really a tech tree.

Production chains are fine, but tech-trees tend to have research and arbitrary things going on that make no sense in the timescale of DF.
Having dwarves try and breed different strains of crops is fine, but researching better weapons and armour is not, IMO.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2011, 12:37:33 pm »

I've considered placing Creepers from Minecraft into my games. Maybe have them appear in savage Grasslands.

But I have no idea how I would code them, or even if explosions are possible.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2011, 01:40:13 pm »

I've modded the game to remove aquifers, because fuck aquifers. I also modded the game with tons of my own custom creatures for fun. I don't claim that they're any good, it's just that it's fun to see something you made walking around in the game. Not so much when it's killing your dwarves though.

I've considered placing Creepers from Minecraft into my games. Maybe have them appear in savage Grasslands.

But I have no idea how I would code them, or even if explosions are possible.

I recall there being an entire thread dedicated to this in the modding forums once. Try looking there.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7