Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Clone?  (Read 69093 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Clone?
« Reply #195 on: February 13, 2011, 09:55:12 am »

ugh, i used the wrong term, he hasn't stolen the code he's just taken the game and modded it, theres no way a single person could have reverse engineered so much of DF in a few months, even toady needed more than that to get the 2d version to the point of open beta
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 13, 2011, 09:57:14 am »

Thing is, this probably doesn't yet include all the features or intricacies of DF, and much of the work that goes into DF isn't implementation, but design. It's a whole lot easier to copy a design and implement it yourself than it is to design from the ground up, especially in this case, as Toady is known for his skill in design rather than implementation in the first place.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 13, 2011, 10:06:35 am »

i bet it does include all the featires because he's just taken the whole game and written a front end for it, then made a few minor changes like being able to dig statues out of the side of a mountain =/
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 13, 2011, 10:34:57 am »

you're overestimating the difficulty of implementing features that were already designed and tested by others, he knows how the end product is supposed to work, so it's easier for him to get there and avoid the pitfalls of his predecessor

also, toady didn't start by implementing features, he first created a world generator that models complex geography, ecosystems, history... i'll put it this way, imagine two painters are painting a portrait, the first has no reference, so he started by painting the skeleton, then the muscles over the bones, then the skin over the muscles, then the hairs over the skin, etc. the second looked at the first painter's finished painting and reproduced it

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 13, 2011, 10:52:53 am »

you're overestimating the difficulty of implementing features that were already designed and tested by others, he knows how the end product is supposed to work, so it's easier for him to get there and avoid the pitfalls of his predecessor

also, toady didn't start by implementing features, he first created a world generator that models complex geography, ecosystems, history... i'll put it this way, imagine two painters are painting a portrait, the first has no reference, so he started by painting the skeleton, then the muscles over the bones, then the skin over the muscles, then the hairs over the skin, etc. the second looked at the first painter's finished painting and reproduced it

And then proceeds to add more shading, or puts a background around the image, and goes "Look at my art!"

When most people do that, they call it a tribute. He's calling it his own work.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 13, 2011, 10:53:25 am »

Maybe i was jumping to conclusions, from reading the devlog he seems to be actually writing stuff.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 13, 2011, 11:13:34 am »

He's calling it his own work.

no, he's not.
please take a look at his blog, he's been nothing but complimentary of df
am i the only one who thinks that it'd be worse if he tried to hide he was copying df? he's planting references to his source of inspiration literally everywhere on his work, he didn't tried to hide his actions behind a more creative name for plump helmets, and for fuck's sake, he didn't publish anything yet!

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 13, 2011, 12:18:01 pm »

When most people do that, they call it a tribute.

You'd be surprised with what you can get away with if you call it a tribute.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 13, 2011, 12:19:13 pm »

You guys act like you've played this game and can verify that he's re-implemented all that Toady has done.

Care to post me a link to the game so I can see it too?  So far... all we've seen are videos showing minor parts.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 13, 2011, 12:21:42 pm »

Who are you referring to when you say "you guys"?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 13, 2011, 12:25:07 pm »

Who are you referring to when you say "you guys"?
Those that claim he has completely rewritten DF and copied every aspect of it.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 13, 2011, 01:34:51 pm »

Show me the actual game that's not just random pieces of DF hacked off and grafted to his own work? Mmmm yeah. We're at an impasse.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 13, 2011, 01:57:29 pm »

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 13, 2011, 02:32:18 pm »

Show me the actual game that's not just random pieces of DF hacked off and grafted to his own work? Mmmm yeah. We're at an impasse.
Not seeing what's wrong here... maybe you can clarify?

How many other games have grafted things from Rogue and placed it in their own game?
How many other games have grafted things from Sim City and placed it in their own game?
How many other games have grafted things from The Sims and placed it in their own game?
How many other games have grafted things from Dungeon Keeper and placed is in their own game?
How many other games have grafted things from Tolkien and placed it in their own game?
How many other games have grafted things from Ultima and placed it in their own games?

I can tell you at least one...

I don't think I need to start pointing out other games that were copied and copied from each other.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 13, 2011, 02:55:47 pm »

I don't think they generally copy the entire list of items and replicate the game mechanics exactly, though.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25