Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364887 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!
« Reply #5010 on: June 19, 2014, 03:29:21 pm »

We knew those were there the entire time.

Really, the war was about undeclared WMD's, because apparently it's fine as long as you're not hiding them from anyone.

((TBF, these are leftovers from the Iran-Iraq war, I don't think they're going to work.))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5011 on: June 19, 2014, 04:11:04 pm »

As long as they've got the chemical they're fine. When the Murricans found 500 corroded leftovers from the Iran-Iraq war they still destroyed them because the chemicals could still be used in spite of the aged condition of their delivery. If they could work then, they could work now.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: June 19, 2014, 04:17:34 pm »

I thought we invaded because we thought Saddam had nukes (according to Bush)?

Still, if the terrorists actually did get their hands on some chemical weapons (old and of questionable quality or not), then that's bad.

The terrorists stealing and using chemical weapons isn't going to start WWIII, if anything, it's just going to make Iraq get invaded again. Though possibly by other Arab countries or Iran since we tried once already and screwed up, we'd just screw it up further if we invaded again.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:29:47 pm by smjjames »

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: June 19, 2014, 04:34:00 pm »

I don't think even Bush was rude enough to imply saddam had nukes.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: June 19, 2014, 04:38:39 pm »

We invade because of this little silly thing about Saddam Gassing the Kurds, So it's slightly possible there might be a canister or two out in the desert with stuff in it, but that close to impossible
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: June 19, 2014, 04:58:58 pm »

I don't think even Bush was rude enough to imply saddam had nukes.
"The problem here is that there will always be some uncertainty about how quickly Saddam can acquire nuclear weapons. But we don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud."
--Condoleeza Rice

So yeah, they were implying that. Or at least implying that if we didn't invade, he'd get them.

C'mon, am I the only that remembers the kerfluffle over aluminum tubes? They were totes implying that he was on the way to building nukes.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: June 19, 2014, 05:07:46 pm »

Really?! heh  :)

And i was naively thinking they at least had the decency to imply only possible lies.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: June 19, 2014, 08:44:36 pm »

I do distinctly remember the war being about WMDs, ones that never existed, but people were damn sure it did.
Every other reason was a drop in the bucket, media-wise anyways...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: June 19, 2014, 09:13:11 pm »

I do distinctly remember the war being about WMDs, ones that never existed, but people were damn sure it did.

Yeah, it was something about WMDs that Saddam never had. We know he used chemical weapons, but we never found any working WMDs, or at least the ones that Bush and his crew expected to find.

I think there was also an anti-terrorism angle to it though.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: June 19, 2014, 09:18:26 pm »

Yeah, it was something about WMDs that Saddam never had. We know he used chemical weapons, but we never found any working WMDs, or at least the ones that Bush and his crew expected to find.

I think there was also an anti-terrorism angle to it though.
That was sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy addition that got added in circa 2005 or 2006.

"We think Saddam is connected to al-Qaeda" (despite the fact that he regularly jailed and killed Islamists, just like Gaddafi and Assad, and that al-Qaeda communications denigrated Hussein)

*invades Iraq*

*Jihadists flock to Iraq to get a chance to kill American troops*

"See! We were right! Just look at all these terrorists here! And that's why we had to invade. If you were against the war, you're retroactively supporting terrorists."
(since we can't find those pesky WMDs that we said we knew where they were.....)

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: June 19, 2014, 10:19:29 pm »

You know, I wonder why we didn't destroy the chemical weapons complex, which is now in extremist hands. It'd be Al Quaedas dream come true to own a chemical weapons complex.

If we're gonna bomb anything, that's the one place we should absolutely bomb.

Also, how much effort would it have taken to destroy the chemical weapons complex in the first place? :P (nevermind the chemical decontamination and release issues)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 10:22:30 pm by smjjames »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: June 19, 2014, 11:15:27 pm »

There are people around who sadly still believe it, too...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: June 19, 2014, 11:51:03 pm »

And some of them are in Congress.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: June 19, 2014, 11:56:49 pm »

And some of them are in Congress.

Makes me want to gibber and cry.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: June 20, 2014, 01:10:36 am »

You know, I wonder why we didn't destroy the chemical weapons complex, which is now in extremist hands. It'd be Al Quaedas dream come true to own a chemical weapons complex.

If we're gonna bomb anything, that's the one place we should absolutely bomb.

Also, how much effort would it have taken to destroy the chemical weapons complex in the first place? :P (nevermind the chemical decontamination and release issues)
It's largely underground, so It'd be rather hard. Then again, the facility itself has been mostly dismantled, it's merely still used to store the old weaponry.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:27:23 am by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 416