Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 416

Author Topic: Egypt and the world and Libya - Now without Ukraine!  (Read 364133 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt and the world and Libya
« Reply #4545 on: September 09, 2013, 02:28:48 pm »

I'm not impressed. There will never be any real change in Iran until the Iranians tear down the theocracy.
Meh, some reform first would make the transition much smoother.
Any estimates for the Great Iranian Revolution? I'd say within the next thirty years, though I know next to nothing about the subject :P
You have a lingering hate for said theocracy, do you. All in all, the system is not much different than the US's Supreme court, except somewhat more influential.
All people who want rational and secular governance should hate theocracy.

And they system is most certainly not like the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court isn't explicitly charged with keeping the US a reactionary hellhole, and they don't determine who can and who can not run for office. The theocrats are the real power in Iran, and everyone knows it. What trappings of democracy that nation has can be overruled with but a word from them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4546 on: September 09, 2013, 02:31:07 pm »

-snip-

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: September 09, 2013, 02:35:34 pm »

Interesting. Politically, other then the Hawks collapsing under the weight of their own frustration, There hasn't been much discussion. The White House states that it is open to the proposal, but has serious reservations regarding the credibility of Assad or Russia on the matter.

My impression is Obama finds this a good idea, but is wary of the numerous potential pitfalls, and is weighing his options. He'd hate to be sen as copping out after painting them as the absolute worst people ever.

Also, 3 US representatives, including the notorious Michele Bachman, headed to egypt to tell the government What a good job they're doing.

The first quote from google news upon googling her name: "We are here as members of Congress to say, 'We are with you, and we encourage you,' ".
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 04:05:50 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: September 09, 2013, 03:57:26 pm »

Also, 3 US representatives, including the notorious Michele Bachman, headed to egypt to tellt eh government What a good job their doing.

The first quote from google news upon googling her name: "We are here as members of Congress to say, 'We are with you, and we encourage you,' ".
I don't even know...  do these people really believe that all Islamists = Terrorists?

@Syria, I'd be fine with Russia 'saving everyone else's political face'.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: September 09, 2013, 04:17:41 pm »

Bachman is a loony, right?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4550 on: September 09, 2013, 04:21:12 pm »

Signs point to yes.

She also flirts with the anti-vaccer crowd, though she's never openly endorsed them.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: September 09, 2013, 05:04:23 pm »

Wow. I was not even aware of the true depth of the crazy. Her Foreign Policy and War and Peace sections are particularly... enlightening.

At least she's consistent.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: September 09, 2013, 06:00:04 pm »

The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Hotfire90

« Reply #4553 on: September 10, 2013, 09:20:47 am »

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:54:19 pm by Hotfire90 »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: September 10, 2013, 09:24:04 am »

Hopefully that's just RT being RT. None of the rebel groups would benefit from dragging Israel into this, especially not the Islamist ones. Really, the only way this situation could plausibly get any worse is if Israel gets dragged in and enacts scorched earth against them.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: September 10, 2013, 09:34:06 am »

And then Tehran gets the nuke, the secular democratic Syrian rebels win (somehow), Iran nukes em, China decides to deal with North Korea's antics once and for all, Russia goes full theocrat with Putin as the super-patriarch, America starts detaining anyone who so much as mutters about the president or NSA, Scotland becomes a graveyard after the English don't allow a successful independence referendum and the Scots rebel, Turkey decides it actually quite liked being the Ottoman Empire and goes after Greece, and the Euro collapses.

... Did I miss anything? Any recent kerfuffle that I left out?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Hotfire90

« Reply #4556 on: September 10, 2013, 09:36:58 am »

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:55:39 pm by Hotfire90 »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: September 10, 2013, 09:40:15 am »

And then Tehran gets the nuke, the secular democratic Syrian rebels win (somehow), Iran nukes em, China decides to deal with North Korea's antics once and for all, Russia goes full theocrat with Putin as the super-patriarch, America starts detaining anyone who so much as mutters about the president or NSA, Scotland becomes a graveyard after the English don't allow a successful independence referendum and the Scots rebel, Turkey decides it actually quite liked being the Ottoman Empire and goes after Greece, and the Euro collapses.

... Did I miss anything? Any recent kerfuffle that I left out?
Don't be silly, Scotland has most of the UK's nuclear arsenal, they'd never lose in an armed conflict.
Actually the Rebels would benefit from the attacks because they will be done in Government controlled regions and  Assad will be blamed.
Plus the US and Israel are allies and this attack will most likely draw them both into a conflict with Syria.
I doubt Israel will just blindly blame Assad, the rebels possessing chemical weapons is a known thing. Hence my fear that Israel will take a "fuck them all" approach if they are hit with a saren attack.

The US will probably not be drawn into it. Not good for popularity ratings at this point.
No Gods, No Masters.

Hotfire90

« Reply #4558 on: September 10, 2013, 09:47:33 am »

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:55:29 pm by Hotfire90 »

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4559 on: September 10, 2013, 09:49:37 am »

You forgot Italy.
Italian politicians mutter about this and that, and end up doing nothing.
The government is toppled because of the debt and the people lynch the politicians, before chaos similar to the French Revolution swipes the land.
After that...well, every Italian for himself and may God have mercy.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: 1 ... 302 303 [304] 305 306 ... 416