Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you feel is the primary goal of AI design in games? (Please expand on your vote.)

Immersion.
Challenge.
Complexity.
Ability to run on any system.
Undecided.
All are equally important.
Other.
Don't care.
View poll.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Goal of AI Design for Games?  (Read 2910 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goal of AI Design for Games?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2011, 07:15:46 pm »

A state machine with 1 state is still a finite state machine. ;)

The AI of that game met its design goals, that's all I'm saying.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2011, 07:19:50 pm »

I am not denying that the code works the way they want.

I am just denounce the use of AI to describe what it does.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2011, 07:27:28 pm »

I am not denying that the code works the way they want.

I am just denounce the use of AI to describe what it does.

And a page ago you were saying how well it matched the definition of "AI".

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 07:28:14 pm »

No I said the output matched what an AI could do. AI is not needed for a good opponent and I hate that its spread around so much that its what is used to describe a computer game opponent.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 07:30:11 pm »

Instead of an enemy saying "Man down" it could be his life support system calling for help. Or his ammo could just explode very loud. Would you still consider it AI?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 07:31:13 pm »

No I said the output matched what an AI could do. AI is not needed for a good opponent and I hate that its spread around so much that its what is used to describe a computer game opponent.

Well your initial post didn't carry that meaning very well.

Your post went, "Here's a good AI"
And I said, "Yes it is."
And then you said, "No it's not."

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 07:34:41 pm »

First post I started with:
    First of all calling what is used in games an AI is incorrectly describing it but only because we do not have the appropriate word to do so. The current best AI we have is below animal level thinking while saying AI conjures up thoughts of human level intelligence. Now that that's off of my chest let me answer the question asked in the original post.

Then second post I started with this meaning to use the example as a thing that is not AI yet does just as good a job as AI would do with less trouble.
    That is not a bad thing in and of itself really. The only thing about it is that its not AI. A game just needs the enemy's to be fun and seemingly smart. An example of this is in the Ascii Dreams articles:

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 08:17:37 pm »

In other words, "I'm going to talk about not-AIs in a thread about AIs and use a quote that references a system called an AI as my point."

Good way to be confusing.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 08:29:04 pm »

GAH!!! We are talking in circles and its mostly my fault! Here are my thoughts:
  • AI is a bad way to describe computer enemy's reactions
  • There is very little true AI Design in games that is new
  • The question that started it off while saying AI was actually more about how the computer reacts to you
  • The example is a state machine not AI
  • I like to rant about AI and such because I am a computer programmer and I get annoyed when 2 lines of code is called AI

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 11:23:08 pm »

First of all calling what is used in games an AI is incorrectly describing it but only because we do not have the appropriate word to do so. The current best AI we have is below animal level thinking while saying AI conjures up thoughts of human level intelligence. Now that that's off of my chest let me answer the question asked in the original post.

Well, I didn't say singularity level or strong AI, so I don't think most people got confused. :p We might not have a phrase to describe our current "weak AI", but we do have something to designate when it is of animal-like intelligence.

That is not a bad thing in and of itself really. The only thing about it is that its not AI. A game just needs the enemy's to be fun and seemingly smart. An example of this is in the Ascii Dreams articles:
<snip>
Its a simple thing to code and it adds a depth that otherwise would take a lot of coding to make work.

That's just a part of the hardcoded script. It gives the illusion of an AI action, but it is in fact not. I'm not following you here.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2011, 12:30:23 am »

I think if it looks like AI it doesn't matter to the player that it's not actually AI. It's like when your girlfriend surprises you in a policewoman's outfit. Just enjoy it and don't look for little inconsistencies because that's not why she went through all this trouble.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2011, 08:32:40 pm »

I think if it looks like AI it doesn't matter to the player that it's not actually AI. It's like when your girlfriend surprises you in a policewoman's outfit. Just enjoy it and don't look for little inconsistencies because that's not why she went through all this trouble.

once you were tortured and detained did your perspective change?

How does the AI on AIwar work, its a game i demoed and wasnt that impressed with, its had another years dev since then, maybe ill give it another crack.

When i played it last, i knew it was hard, but with the info supplyed to me in the game i couldnt see if it was hard because it was efficient, it cheated, or it was smart.

I get a kick of seeing (percieved) intellegence (or atleast a smart move) form an AI, its like in jurasic park when the old hunter gets taken down by the female raptor. However this has happended to me in along time, as ive got used to how most AIs work (i might be overestimating my self abit here).
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2011, 10:32:47 pm »

Wouldnt what we want from an AI depend on what the AI is?
-----
For instance, I wouldnt want my Pathfinding AI to be challenging, or immerisive.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2011, 04:23:24 am »

How does the AI on AIwar work, its a game i demoed and wasnt that impressed with, its had another years dev since then, maybe ill give it another crack.

When i played it last, i knew it was hard, but with the info supplyed to me in the game i couldnt see if it was hard because it was efficient, it cheated, or it was smart.

There's a couple of different tactics the AI uses based off what personality it's been assigned when it starts the game. It also has individiual parts to it that work differently.

Usually, though, it, at end game, slowly ramps up and starts pushing lots and lots of units at you.

There are things like the "hybrid hunters" (a mix of an alien race and the AI) go together in small groups apart from the main AI and rape the shit out of the player in random directions. And the AI has personalities like "Golemeer" where it'll search out the Golems in space and revive them to slaughter the player.

I don't know, it matters to me when I'm playing. And hardcoded behaviours are usually massively exploitable.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2011, 04:52:18 am »

The goal of an AI depends on the game in question.

Though it depends by what you mean by AI...

However I'll assume common use, I remember when AI meant something cooler, and usually it is challenge.

Since players are themselves disconnected from situations it is usually the goal of the AI to provide a challenge over acting realistically, because the Player's actions being without the usual drives and actions would easily triumph over most AIs.

Though there are games where the AI is more for emersion then challenge. Though these are exceptions that use AI specifically for that goal. The Civilisation AI for example originally was there for Emersion but they changed it when they noticed that players actually found it poor to fight realistic opponents (for example: Forcing surrender on Gangis Kahn).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4