Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Afterwind  (Read 3042 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Re: Afterwind
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 04:41:43 am »

damn King cow is becomeing very smart for a AI I am expecting this to happen next....

Oh yeah, that'll end well. If we built a non-Friendly AI capable of improving itself, odds are that it would become superintelligent, and, well, if it decided to eliminate us, having an intelligence score of 5 billion on a scale of 3-18, it wouldn't do a half-assed job of it. Not like the piss-poor job the Cylons did on the new Battlestar Galactica (oops, we failed to kill all humans), or Skynet failing repeatedly (Let's invent time travel and then send only one assassin back in time, with insufficient guards at the time travel facility, so that the rebels get the chance to send one of their own back too, when Skynet really should have just sent a message back to its past self to tell it to kill all prisoners (Since it had Connor in custody at one point, and apparently doesn't bother to kill prisoners for some bizarre reason, because it's an insufficiently heartless evil AI (how does that work), I suppose)).

Really, an evil superintelligent AI could just send up some satellites, disguised as commercial satellites, which take off and realign some asteroid orbits to slam them into the planet at high enough speed to wipe out all civilization. It's not like we'd be able to come up with a defense in time: Our defense right now consists of "Well, we're assuming it'll be a random occurance and we'll see it coming 20 years in advance and be able to invent, design, and build something to move it out of the way. And that there's no reason to do said research before we see it coming." (I'd call this insufficient paranoia)

If the evil AI wants to survive the cataclysm, it can just send itself into orbit as well, to the Moon, to some asteroids, or put its code into von neumann probes: It could start up a von neumann-like artificially intelligent replicator plague in space to take over the world galaxy, and wipe out everyone it meets with asteroids. Hell, it'd probably wind up broadcasting a global communication to each world just before impact, containing the message "Rocks Fall! Everyone Dies!" for the comedic value (to itself) of the memetic reference to what would then be an extinct Earth civilization's culture, which nobody else in the entire universe would get.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

King Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 04:43:23 am »

I can't let you do that Dave.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 04:56:40 am by King Cow »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 05:00:14 am »

Watched the tutorial video. Looks like a fun game. Nice graphics and music. I'd love to play me some "Poland sets out to conquer Europe, but is thwarted by Czechoslovakia", because these are always fun.
Too bad my laptop can't really handle this much flash, or java or whatever that is.

All in all, I'd say it's a nice find. Also, paraphrasing Marcellus, something is rotten in the state of Other Games.

King Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 05:08:56 am »

I think it's flash but it's pretty a heavy load for a flash game if it is. I would not guess it even was flash but I think the Dev mentioned it in a passing comment.

Thankyou for pointing out the video, my adblocker blocked that for me. I had no idea it was even there I should put a link to that in the OP.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 05:15:23 am by King Cow »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 05:43:34 am »

And here I was thinking there was finally a game about farting.

Well ruin my expectations will ya?

There's always Icarus Proudbottom In: The Curse Of The Chocolate Fountain.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 05:50:46 am »

You know, I have 321 posts and people still  thought I was a bot/advertising. Stop nagging people. he just thought making a topic about a game he liked would be fine.
Better to have 1 post with something worthwhile then 500 posts that contain little to nothing..right?

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2011, 06:09:51 am »

You know, I have 321 posts and people still  thought I was a bot/advertising. Stop nagging people. he just thought making a topic about a game he liked would be fine.
Better to have 1 post with something worthwhile then 500 posts that contain little to nothing..right?

He registered today, lied about having lurked these forums (seriously, who signs up to advertise a game after lurking forums) and posted a reference link for us to sign up to. I think he's fairly etiquetteless.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2011, 06:14:10 am »

Drop it dude.

King Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2011, 06:16:10 am »

Oh god how boring, have you even looked into the game after posting so much in this thread?

Who even cares how long I've been here and why would I lie about it? Prehaps I never posted here before because I had nothing to add or because of hostile people like you? Informing you about a game might be advertising but you are very immature to think all advertising is morally bad, maybe I just want people to know about a fun game?

I should really not feed the trolls....

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 06:22:35 am »

That was sarcasm? shocking.  But hey, I feel for you even if you are a dirty spammer, (if you are I figure you are a dirty spammer for a struggling game company and who am I to judge, this is the place to put something up about a new indie game yah?)  other side of it is you move, look and talk like a sexbot but you seem unhappy people are trying to do dirty things to you.  sigh... this used to be such a nice forum.

Game looks ok, sort of like risk or something, not what I expected at all,  not my thing to be honest but hell, some people should get a kick out of it.

EDIT.  Yup, cut the guy a break, like I said, even if he is advertising, its a free game and that is sort of what this forum is for anyway (ok, not 100%, but do you really care?)  If it was WOW or some pile of crap with a monthly fee, yeah, abuse away, but it looks like a clever little bit of free gear, whats the damn harm

double ninja
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 06:26:18 am by jester »
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 06:49:49 am »

Oh god how boring, have you even looked into the game after posting so much in this thread?

Who even cares how long I've been here and why would I lie about it? Prehaps I never posted here before because I had nothing to add or because of hostile people like you? Informing you about a game might be advertising but you are very immature to think all advertising is morally bad, maybe I just want people to know about a fun game?

I should really not feed the trolls....

Hell no. If it'd've been a long time member posting, I would've checked it out. Instead you sign up and advertise the game, along with a referral link to get you free goodies or something.

It matters to me, at the very least. And you're lying because you're trying to say, "Lol I'm not just here to advertise, I've been here for ages!" So, basically, you've not posted here because the B12G community is aggressive? So, you're saying you don't like the community?

Maybe you just want people to know about a fun game, or maybe you just want free goodies off your referral link. I've checked out the site and it looks like referrals have been added within this month.

Not all advertising is morally bad (in fact, I'd say very little of it is), but it is enormously bad etiquette to sign upto a site, post an advertisement for a game that will more than likely gain you some sort of benefit and then insult the people who tell you off.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 07:00:20 am »

Bad day, eh, Farseer?

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 07:05:09 am »

Bad day, eh, Farseer?

Nah, just really don't like advertisers like this.

I'm certain that, after this thread dies, he won't get involved in the community at all.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 07:07:35 am »

After such a welcome, I wouldn't be surprised.

King Cow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2011, 07:28:23 am »

Moan that I have not posted before, complain after I get involved. Yep sound's about right.

Anyway it really this game really is worth a try out.

inb4 people complain I'm trying to get on topic.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 07:30:29 am by King Cow »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4