Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mixed questions  (Read 555 times)

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
mixed questions
« on: January 26, 2011, 02:25:38 pm »

Hi,

Again a bunch of questions for veteran dorfes.

-Are the invasions on in 31.16? I did not get many of them. My last losng lasting fortress got "only" a bunch of kobold thieves and two megabeast assaults. No goblins at all.
-To get a siege to you need to be near a goblin civilization?
-My last fortress is near just one dorf civ. It means no onw will siege me apart the megabeast of opportunity?
-I embarked near a volcano (and also a river this time), can you give me some advise how to handle magma? How do you set up a magma furnace? If i dig the walls near the magma pool the magma is not going to invade the fortress?
-If I got a damp wall (so it means water after it) if I want to drain the area or use it as a water source what I need to do? Breach it from the superior z level?

Thanks for the responses.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: mixed questions
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 02:36:25 pm »

1. - Yes
2. - Yes
3. - If it's only a dwarf civ, noone at all but dwarves will come
4. - A magma furnace/forge needs a magma tile beneath one of it's outer tiles.
5. - You can breach it from any z-level, but have a better chance of your miner surviving if it's done from above.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 02:43:19 pm »

A damp wall can mean one of two things:
There's either water in a tile touching it (above/below and diagonally) or a tile touching it is an aquifer. Dig another shaft from above to find out what is the case. There are infinite water sources other than aquifers underground too so don't dig out a damp wall unless you know what's behind it or you've build a floodgate connected to a lever in the tunnel leading to the wall.

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 02:49:45 pm »

1. - Yes
2. - Yes
3. - If it's only a dwarf civ, noone at all but dwarves will come
4. - A magma furnace/forge needs a magma tile beneath one of it's outer tiles.
5. - You can breach it from any z-level, but have a better chance of your miner surviving if it's done from above.

Most unfortunate. I see this fortress will not have a large quantity of fun. Can I still hope in megabeasts and fire imps? Maybe some forgotten beasts on caves...

Reagarding the magma furnace, looks like that the best way to handle it it's to dig a pool of some zlevels than channel the magma into the pool and regulate the flux with a floodgate so it doesn't flow over the pool.
Is that right or I'm gonna face a lot of fun?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 02:55:28 pm »

Magma has no pressure, which means it will never naturally rise above the Z level it's on.  Unless it's pumped up and allowed to pressurize.  See the wiki article for Water Pressure for more info.

I think one tile of 7/7 magma would suffice, it doesn't need to be flowing, but if you want flows, then build a wall on the floor, and the workshop above it, since the center tile needs support (the dorf needs to stand somewhere!) and then floor to the hallway.  Allow magma to flow underneath.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 02:58:47 pm »

FB's are a HUGE quantity of fun. No, really. Get one with deadly something, could mean your dwarves explode the instant they touch it or it could make them get a headache for a few minutes. Also, fire imps are wildlife, so yes. All wildlife appropriate to your biome(s) will come. Megabeats will come if they have acces to your area. All you need to do with magma is dig a hole from the volcano/magma sea to where the magma forges/furnaces are gonna be. Although that gives the chance of a magma monster to come into your fortress. If you want to be safer use magma safe floodgates.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 03:02:20 pm »

Alternatively, build Vertical Bars or Fortifications to block creatures from moving through them, although apparently, flowing liquid will push a creature through either of these.

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 04:48:50 pm »

FB's are a HUGE quantity of fun. No, really. Get one with deadly something, could mean your dwarves explode the instant they touch it or it could make them get a headache for a few minutes. Also, fire imps are wildlife, so yes. All wildlife appropriate to your biome(s) will come. Megabeats will come if they have acces to your area. All you need to do with magma is dig a hole from the volcano/magma sea to where the magma forges/furnaces are gonna be. Although that gives the chance of a magma monster to come into your fortress. If you want to be safer use magma safe floodgates.

I can say a mud titan in one of my fortress managed to get killed by a unarmed farmer. I still wonder how.
I have a plan anyway for megabeasts. Flood their houses in rivers of magma.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 04:51:38 pm »

Most FB's (never played long enough to get anything else other than goblins) that are made of fire/water/steam are easy to kill. Imagine punching a walking beast of water/steam/fire/whatever.