Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giantess Just Kind of Stares my Fortress Down?  (Read 1944 times)

dieffenbachj

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Smiles
    • View Profile
Giantess Just Kind of Stares my Fortress Down?
« on: January 26, 2011, 11:43:11 am »

I don't have the save anymore, but it occurred to me to ask this so I understand maybe what happened.

I had a sizable fortress, decided to build some concentric walls outside with a single line of gates in a row--lined up conveniently for use with a ballista. Anyway, only the outermost gate had a door, for locking purposes.

Well, surprise, a giantess comes angrily up to my fortress and... stands outside the door.

Is she beating it down? I set my dwarves on alert, and wait... and wait... *quiet bored whistling* Doot de doo... is she done yet? I dismiss my dwarves, they're getting hungry.

Continue about my daily activities. Construct internal farmlands, tunnel out chambers, finish building the walls (the door isn't even locked!), build a siege workshop, build a ballista, outfit all of my dwarves with the latest in bone crossbow technology, and still she's just kind of... sitting outside my gate, waiting for a dwarf to walk out into her mouth I guess? I certainly can't attack her since she's at a choke point so my dwarves would have to go one at a time.

Several seasons go by, finally I get the message "A vile force of darkness has arrived!", dozens of goblins. They run up, and now I start getting scared because if she busts down my doors and traps, the goblins will be able to...

Huh. The goblins killed her, and she killed most of them, the siege has been broken and they run.

Anyway, why was the giantess just sitting outside of my fortress door? I even tried opening it by letting my pets pass through it, she didn't move an inch except to chase the animal once it had left the fortress, kill it, then run back to her sitting position.

I don't _MIND_ that she was just chilling out, but it sure would have been more interesting if she had rampaged through even a single door or something...

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giantess Just Kind of Stares my Fortress Down?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 12:28:36 pm »

Theres a bug/exploit that makes building destroyers to stand on door tiles if theres a item on it.

Was the giantess on the same tile of the door and was there something like 'hematite'?

dieffenbachj

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Smiles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 06:13:26 pm »

Theres a bug/exploit that makes building destroyers to stand on door tiles if theres a item on it.

Was the giantess on the same tile of the door and was there something like 'hematite'?

She was just in front if it, one square to the right and one square down (so next to it diagonally) and both her tile and the door tile was clear.

DaJonkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 08:15:08 pm »

Quite clearly she came to warn you about the incoming goblin invasion, she knocked and knocked on the door but no one ever answered it and ended up giving her life to protect your fortress as she would rather die than risk your dwarfs being unprepared and getting all slaughtered.

I find the idea that all giants in front of your fortress are there to cause trouble rather racially offensive.
- Protector of those who are always used in or are victim of dangerous experiments, random acts of violence, deliberate acts of unnecessary violence, unjust punishment by false blame of error, justed punishment by blame of trivial everyday stuff, oh and mythological species racism in general. (I help them with law stuff and filing basics forms, as claws, tentacles and whatnot can make that difficult... no forms no benefits, travel coverage, ect apparantly in this world *sigh*).

Unfrozen Caveman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 03:01:11 pm »

I find the idea that all giants in front of your fortress are there to cause trouble rather racially offensive.

:D

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 03:23:22 pm »

Quite clearly she came to warn you about the incoming goblin invasion, she knocked and knocked on the door but no one ever answered it and ended up giving her life to protect your fortress as she would rather die than risk your dwarfs being unprepared and getting all slaughtered.

Mystery solved!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 04:05:57 pm »

Press (t) and look at the door, and you'll probably find that it's XdamagedX - a while longer, and the door would've been completely destroyed.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 04:59:11 pm »

She was a FRIENDLY giant! And she went to all the trouble to run down and kill one of those !%!^ing pets for you, too.

But seriously. I bet if you'd examined her before she snuffed it, she had a hugely low strength score so her building destruction was really slooow.

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 01:57:53 pm »

I had a forbidden door set up in the first cavern layer. After a while, a troll showed up and starting bashing it down. I started freaking out because I had no military set up yet. Then, the troll breaks down the door and promptly runs away and off of the edge of the map instead of walking up the stairs into my base.

Shortly after, I had an Ettin stand at the map edge for a while before falling down a waterfall to its death. Not too much trouble from the baddies so far.

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 05:20:11 pm »

Shortly after, I had an Ettin stand at the map edge for a while before falling down a waterfall to its death. Not too much trouble from the baddies so far.

Emo Ettin comes to your fortress to die.