Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bug Food  (Read 2191 times)

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bug Food
« on: January 24, 2011, 04:25:43 pm »

Article on eating bugs due to the rising price of bovine meats
Spoiler: Article (click to show/hide)

What do you guys think of all this business? It seems very soylent green-ish to me, personally, but I don't think I'd have any trouble with eating insects on a regular basis. Every salad you eat is either coated with pesticides or coated in dead greenflies, anyway, so you're probably eat them nonetheless.

So, would you guys eat this stuff? :p

P.S. Does anyone know any stores where I can buy edible insects? I want to try them out. :p Preferably places that are legit and won't steal my credit card details.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Bug Food
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 04:32:11 pm »

Mmm, Nutty.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 04:49:25 pm »

I think the main issue for me about eating bugs would be the type of bugs and the environment their raised in.  I don't very much like the idea of eating feces-eating flies. Plus the fact that you generally can't pick off the good parts of a bug to eat, you have to eat the whole thing.  Though I thought I heard somewhere that in our sleep we typically end up eating a lot of bugs, so eh, maybe its just cultural taboo stopping us from eating them.

Ants would probably be a good food source I think, maybe finding a way to collect those hoards of army ants.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 04:50:20 pm »

It's unlikely to work in Europe and possibly the United States. Honestly, what people eat is not only determined by what is good for your body but by a ton of other, sometimes not very relevant, or seemingly irrelevant, factors. Like culture and tradition, what we consider healthy and what we consider not. And I can tell you, I work in the food industry, and having bugs in your food is not healthy ;)

I'd like to try but I'm not sure I'll eat insects on a daily basis. I'd rather go on a vegatarian diet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 04:57:18 pm »

Worm chocolate chip cookies, spider casserole....had all that stuff when I was a kid as part of a elementary school project.

The spider casserole was a little hard to get down, because I hate spiders. But the worm chocolate chip cookies....couldn't even tell they were there, and those cookies had about as much protein per serving as a piece of chicken.

Still, that's depression survival by western standards.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 04:58:18 pm »

What about brain flies? :P

Uh, I meant fly brains. Yeah, that makes more sense.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 06:20:07 pm »

I think the main issue for me about eating bugs would be the type of bugs and the environment their raised in.  I don't very much like the idea of eating feces-eating flies. Plus the fact that you generally can't pick off the good parts of a bug to eat, you have to eat the whole thing.  Though I thought I heard somewhere that in our sleep we typically end up eating a lot of bugs, so eh, maybe its just cultural taboo stopping us from eating them.

Ants would probably be a good food source I think, maybe finding a way to collect those hoards of army ants.

I don't think many cultures eat flies at all simply due to how hairy the little bastards are.

That sleep thing is a total myth. Go eat a slice of bread, though. You've probably eaten between 100-3000 little weevils there. Nom nom nom.

Ant fried rice, anyone? :p

It's unlikely to work in Europe and possibly the United States. Honestly, what people eat is not only determined by what is good for your body but by a ton of other, sometimes not very relevant, or seemingly irrelevant, factors. Like culture and tradition, what we consider healthy and what we consider not. And I can tell you, I work in the food industry, and having bugs in your food is not healthy ;)

I'd like to try but I'm not sure I'll eat insects on a daily basis. I'd rather go on a vegatarian diet.

Can't really deny any of that. I think a lot of people will change their minds when insects are inexpensive or rich people are eating them, though. And I don't think you realise quite how many bugs you eat per day. :p Like I said, green flies in salad, weevils in bread, various other insect bits in every single food you eat.

I want to find somewhere that sells insects. :(

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 03:28:10 am »

160 bucks for a Big Mac by 2020? Where the heck are they pulling these numbers from? Next thing you know, McDonalds'll catch a whiff of that and start calling their foods "gourmet."

Don't they already call their hilariously calorific salads that anyway?

Tangent aside, bugs do sound viable, they sound effective, but I can't see myself eating the things, support for the concept or no. I'd probably be less put off were they processed into protein powder or something, but I have trouble eating (mostly) whole organisms like shrimp as it is.

My only trouble with shrimp is that I forget to take the shells off the buggers, so I end up them with them on.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 03:31:37 am »

Hmm, well I guess I could go vegitarian. I eat little meat as it is, no big leap.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 03:40:44 am »

All processed foods are allowed a certain tolerance for unauthorized critter bits, so you've probably had some grasshopper in your peanut butter from time to time anyway.

Also hot dogs. They start putting bugs in those I'm not gonna be thrilled, but I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to complain.

That said, this seems fairly limited to processed foods. It's one thing when you cram biomatter in a tube and render it into a paste to mix with different paste, and another when you dump whole bugs on a plate and insist they be eaten whole. Given that most people don't really know or care what's in their tubed food to begin with, I'm not sure this is exactly a revolution.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 06:46:52 am »

All processed foods are allowed a certain tolerance for unauthorized critter bits, so you've probably had some grasshopper in your peanut butter from time to time anyway.

Nom nom nom.

Also hot dogs. They start putting bugs in those I'm not gonna be thrilled, but I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to complain.

Are you saying they've already started? :p

[urlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal#Dye]Never forget that one of the primary food colourings is made from crushed beetles.[/url]

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 10:31:46 am »

I just don't think they can replace meat's texture. If meat gets too expensive, I'll just raise my own. I live in a fairly rural location and I got a bit of empty land that would make good pasture, so it wouldn't be a problem.
"It is harder to eat a pig you have seen on a spit than a store-bought steak. This is similar."
Lolwut? I not only spit-roast pigs myself, I also slaughter them and clean the carcass. If anything, all the work I put into it makes it look and taste better.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 10:50:22 am »

We already eat bugs every time we eat anything with a red pigment. The red food coloring we use is made of ground-up beetles, from artificial strawberry flavor coloring to all kinda of candy.

I'm not against the idea so long as they make them taste good. Although I'm sure we'll be able to make decent synthetic meat before then.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 11:09:10 am »

We need to start growing Meat plants.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 11:12:22 am »

I'm not against the idea so long as they make them taste good. Although I'm sure we'll be able to make decent synthetic meat before then.
Spoiler: Synthetic you say? (click to show/hide)

Ant fried rice, anyone? :p
Could I just draw everyone's attention to the fact the price of rice is probably rising faster than the price of meat.
Couldn't find any direct comparison, but Wikipedia is always good.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."
Pages: [1] 2