Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fate of dwarves in abandoned fort.  (Read 2468 times)

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fate of dwarves in abandoned fort.
« on: January 24, 2011, 03:48:24 pm »

I recently started my third fort in 0.31.18, and was surprised to find that one of the figurines my dwarves made depicted a dwarf running into the wilderness. Normally this wouldn't be unusual, but I noted that the date was late spring of the previous year, the same time I abandoned my second fort. Does the game keep track of these dwarves? Is it possible for them to appear again as migrants? I embarked my third fort near the second one, which was probably how I got the image in the first place.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Fate of dwarves in abandoned fort.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 03:52:28 pm »

No, they all die. I think. At least they do when there are enemies on the map.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 03:58:08 pm »

Migrants are randomly generated and only start existing from the moment they enter your map, unless they have some importance like the king and his court. Dwarfs you knew in a previous fortress never come back.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 03:58:35 pm »

Abandoning with enemies present = "Your strength has been broken" (or something) = "I give up, let's just let the goblins kill us" = dead dwarves.

Abandoning with no enemies present = "Your fortress has crumbled to its end" (or something) = "This place isn't worth it anymore, let's go" = still alive, but vanished, dwarves.

That's what I think, anyway.
くコ:彡

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 04:02:49 pm »

Indeed, these dwarves continue to live. If you check the Legends screen, you can track them down and see that they've fled to the countryside. I don't know if they eventually return to a city, from where you can maybe recruit them as an adventurer, but if you're willing to commit some !!SCIENCE!!...

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 04:04:42 pm »

Migrants are randomly generated and only start existing from the moment they enter your map, unless they have some importance like the king and his court. Dwarfs you knew in a previous fortress never come back.

That's a shame. It would be nice if they could become wandering dwarves (encountered in Adventure mode maybe) or try to make it to a friendly settlement (if any).

Well, I've just started a new fort so I won't be hitting Adventure Mode anytime soon. Maybe some engravings will tell their tales...

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 04:18:08 pm »

Actually, I believe its perfectly possible for an adventurer to come across groups of "refugees", or at least it was in 40d.
There was a bloodline fort thread once, where people used the save to abandon the fort and try to kill the forts champions with an adventurer.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 04:19:52 pm by Z1000000m »

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 04:36:31 pm »

Actually, I believe its perfectly possible for an adventurer to come across groups of "refugees", or at least it was in 40d.
There was a bloodline fort thread once, where people used the save to abandon the fort and try to kill the forts champions with an adventurer.

Headshoots. It was a successful attempt, too.

Also, there may be something in there which could be considered spoilers if someone hasn't read Headshoots. The solution, of course, is to read Headshoots.
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 04:37:17 pm »

I can confirm you meet your old fortress dwarves in adventurer mode.  All survivors cluster together and appear via the migrant marker on the world map. They do not appear to be going anywhere in particular, and as that particular adventurer learned; the militia keeps their blue weapons and armor and are still rather good with them.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 06:04:04 pm »

Abandoning with enemies present = "Your strength has been broken" (or something) = "I give up, let's just let the goblins kill us" = dead dwarves.

Abandoning with no enemies present = "Your fortress has crumbled to its end" (or something) = "This place isn't worth it anymore, let's go" = still alive, but vanished, dwarves.

That's what I think, anyway.

I've abandoned several fortresses with enemies still on the map, and then I've read about the dwarves escaping in legends mode. Dwarves may escape regardless of present enemies.