Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: "You Can't Torrent Your Game Copy, That's Illegal"  (Read 22337 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: "You Can't Torrent Your Game Copy, That's Illegal"
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2011, 10:24:14 pm »

They're not admitting it openly because that's not evidence.
Shoes...

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2011, 11:26:06 pm »

Hey Soulwynd (long time no see btw, how are you man? :P ) you can admit anything you want, in our country nothing will happen anyways.

Even if it would happen, they'd probably trace IPs in the wrong way giving us time to Kayak real far. (too lazy to find/make one from here)

My words are all a work of fiction and are being written in a joking tone, thus not being able to be used in court at all.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 11:27:47 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2011, 11:27:09 pm »

Hey Soulwynd (long time no see btw, how are you man? :P) you can admit anything you want, in our country nothing will happen anyways.

Even if it would happen, they'd probably trace IPs in the wrong way giving us time to Kayak real far. (too lazy to find/make one from here)

My words are all a work of fiction and are being written in a joking tone, thus not being able to be used in court at all.

I love the fine print legal clause to save your ass  :P

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2011, 11:37:22 pm »

My stance on piracy:

If you want to torrent something, go right on ahead. It's completely fine, probably most of us have done SOME kind of pirating over the years. However if you want to brag about it to everyone and announce practically with a megaphone on the internet that you are in fact torrenting things illegally, you are a horrible person.
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2011, 11:41:28 pm »

My stance on piracy:

If you want to torrent something, go right on ahead. It's completely fine, probably most of us have done SOME kind of pirating over the years. However if you want to brag about it to everyone and announce practically with a megaphone on the internet that you are in fact torrenting things illegally, you are a horrible person.

That means if you give *free candy*, as long as you don't tell anyone, it's alright?

I'm kidding, I actually got your point. heh.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2011, 11:43:21 pm »

... that... makes no sense. Or rather, it makes sense, but it's not a consistent position. It'd be okay, or at least less wrong, to rob a bank (mind, I'm not saying that physical thievery is the same as digital piracy) if you didn't tell anyone about it?

Or only if everyone else was robbing banks and staying mum? Then it'd be more wrong to actually be upfront about the bank robbery?

Deception as the morally upright position. I've seen that come up before, heh, but generally in more extreme situations :P

I do kinda' see what you're saying... it's just I'd get a failing grade in my ethics classes if I agreed with you, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2011, 11:49:34 pm »

Well I figure if politicians are allowed to why not me?
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2011, 11:50:50 pm »

Which is one of the reasons the politicians are allowed to get away with it :-\

Talk about derail, though. Howz about them backup copies, eh?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2011, 12:24:45 am »

... that... makes no sense. Or rather, it makes sense, but it's not a consistent position. It'd be okay, or at least less wrong, to rob a bank (mind, I'm not saying that physical thievery is the same as digital piracy) if you didn't tell anyone about it?

Or only if everyone else was robbing banks and staying mum? Then it'd be more wrong to actually be upfront about the bank robbery?

Deception as the morally upright position. I've seen that come up before, heh, but generally in more extreme situations :P

I do kinda' see what you're saying... it's just I'd get a failing grade in my ethics classes if I agreed with you, heh.

I would argue yes, actually. You wouldn't get a failing grade in ethics if you pointed out that bragging about robbing banks and being generally unrepentant is indeed worse than quietly going back to your usual business, not trying to make further public gain (social credit, fame, etc) beyond the money you stole.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2011, 12:59:13 am »

I'll also use an example. I purchased AFL Premiership Coach 2010 from EB Games and went through all of the proper procedures to activate it. So I registered my CD Key on the games website (that's their copy protection. Register the games CD Key then put in the code you receive) but when I tried to activate it, it couldn't get in contact with their IP Adress. I tried for a good week to get it working but decided "fuck it, I own a copy of the game so I'll just grab a cracked executable" since I purchased a legal copy and still have my registration details.

That's how it should go down for you buddy. You bought a copy that doesn't want to work so you deserve a working copy.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2011, 01:16:23 am »

My opinion follows:

The problem I see is these companies are going on about how we dont actually purchase the game, how we only "purchase the right to use the game". This would be fine, but than they (and others) go on about how pirating it is like stealing from a shop. Its not. You dont deprive anyone of anything they rightfully deserve. The dev and company get their money and you get to play the game.

There are issues with this, for example downloading off torrent (usually) means you are uploading to the (99.99%) people who are just 'stealing' the game. This is a point I fully understand, and can see the moral problems with.

If you download it privately for your own private use, after you paid for the right to use the game, I cant think of any moral (or financial) objections to that. You shouldnt have to pay for the right to use a game twice.

If I buy a car, I take ownership of that car. If I break it, It is fair that I buy a new one instead of demand a new one form the car company. But if I pay for a licence to use a software product and I break the disk, that agreement still stands and I still possess my right to use their software.

Yes im aware that 99% of people will be pirating the stuff when they havent earned the right to use it. But for the OP, I can't see a problem (not speaking legally here of course...)
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2011, 04:03:25 am »

You're not uploading "copyrighted material" when your client upload packets. You're uploading arbitrary numbers that are wholly divorced from the work itself. That with several thousand of these numbers someone can procedurally recover a copy of a copyrighted work is irrelevant. It would be like trying to claim that quoting the gibberish produced by feeding a movie script into a markov chain generator is copyright infringement.

Also, a couple of Ars Technica articles relevant to the thread.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2011, 05:01:48 am »

Lots of people are claiming that illegal downloading of software is not depriving the company of anything. That's just plain false.

If I want some software, and I have the choice of either paying for it or not, then I'm going to go for the not paying option. If the not paying option were to be unavailable, then I would pay for it. I've been in this situation many times, and if getting illegal copies of software was harder then I would be paying more.

If you want an analogy, then consider a movie theater with an arbitrarily high number of seats. Me sitting in one of those seats does not prevent anybody else from watching a movie, yet I doubt many people would support me if I tried to watch a movie without paying.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2011, 05:06:53 am »

You're not uploading "copyrighted material" when your client upload packets. You're uploading arbitrary numbers that are wholly divorced from the work itself. That with several thousand of these numbers someone can procedurally recover a copy of a copyrighted work is irrelevant. It would be like trying to claim that quoting the gibberish produced by feeding a movie script into a markov chain generator is copyright infringement.

Also, a couple of Ars Technica articles relevant to the thread.
But if you knowingly distribute "gibberish" who's only purpose could be to recreate copyrighted material, then you're knowingly aiding someone in breaking the law, no?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2011, 05:12:26 am »

Hey man if I like, see a movie and really love it and I make copies and everyone I give 'em to enjoys the movie but for different reasons, it's like, man, they're watching a different movie because, like, their personal perceptions color the experience.  Like, what if my blue is like, their green?

(Keep in mind like, the copies are just like, magnetic bubbles on a disc, or like, frames and whatnot lined up on a tape, it's not even like it's really the same thing at all.  Like, it's totally different atoms and it's like your mind is forming a gestalt experience out of the elements it percieves.  Even like a broadcast of a show is like, radio waves your TV picks up.   You can't ever watch the same show twice because like, the radio waves are totally different, man.  And your own neural pathways change between viewings, recreating your personality so you can never recreate that experience with true fidelity.   Think about it.)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 05:19:19 am by Capntastic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14