Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: "You Can't Torrent Your Game Copy, That's Illegal"  (Read 22353 times)

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "You Can't Torrent Your Game Copy, That's Illegal"
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2011, 05:29:24 pm »

Hey, whoever thinks you always seed when you use bittorrent or something similar, you can actually disable it.

You get throttled so the downloads slower when you do so, but you can do it. Just a heads up
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2011, 05:40:18 pm »

Yes, it's entirely possible to download via bittorrent without actually uploading.

Hilariously, that is literally my ISP's stance on downloading things like movies --- 'here are some instructions about how to disable uploading on a few of the more popular torrent clients, WHELP, WE DID OUR JOBS'.

Edit - To clarify, my ISP doesn't give a flying **** if you download movies, they just get annoyed when internet watchdog groups pester them about you uploading them.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 05:42:17 pm by Vel »

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2011, 05:58:34 pm »

By the way, if you get onto an ISP that has under 500,000 customers, they are not legally required to police their users usage. A lot of business quality lines are like this.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2011, 06:02:54 pm »

Don't talk about torrenting games on commercial websites. It's bad for business.
Hello Hunam

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2011, 06:17:56 pm »

Um, actually, hasn't torrent distribution increased profits in a number of cases, without getting into the issue of actual pirating? Haven't a number of business folks came out and outright said that pirating was good for business? We had a mention along those lines on the page of the discussion before this one, and the examples come up pretty regularly in this sort of discussion.

Obviously, torrent distribution in and of itself would most likely be a benefit, by cutting bandwidth costs for the distributing company in question.

Or are you holding the position that simply discussing torrent distribution on a commercially-backed forum impacts profits negatively? That'd be an interesting thing to test...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2011, 06:21:43 pm »

This may undermine my argument, but: The only reason I bought my Paradox games was, quite honestly, because I'd "tested" them beforehand. I would never have bought them if I hadn't played them and known they were quality games. I bought them off Steam during the winter sale.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2011, 06:24:54 pm »

Downloading a game you already own should be fine. Note the "should" because laws are never quite like they "should" be. As long as you are using the game yourself and not going out and spreading it to all your friends you should be fine. The Steam thing could be tricky but for a game you had on a CD what difference would there be in the installed game if you installed it from your CD or just happened to have an ISO of it lying around? Nothing, that's what as long as you use your key from the CD.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2011, 06:39:46 pm »

I remember when I downloaded a copy of Medieval total war (the first one) cause mine was destroyed.

I got an email from My ISP and some watchdog group...I replied by stating I wasn't uploading and I have every right to download said game cause I have a working CD key (downloading IS NOT illegal....uploading is)....never heard from em since and my ISP retracted there claim that I pirated....

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2011, 07:45:48 pm »

I've got a torrent of rock-raiders, as I can't be bothered to find my ancient disk.

(It crashes sometimes, but still works on windows xp!)

(but will I do when I no longer have a non-xp machine? torrent xp?)

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2011, 07:54:38 pm »

I've got a torrent of rock-raiders, as I can't be bothered to find my ancient disk.

Dear god, I remember that game. I think I've got the disc sitting on my desk at home. :p

Is it as good as I remember it?

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2011, 08:24:58 pm »

It was pretty fun to play again!

But the AI is very mediocre,
Does not take distance into account, rock raiders run across the map to clean up rubble, running across huge piles of ore-filled rubble nearby.

(a landslide has occured!)

You might need to do something to get it to run, I'm not sure.(possibly did this a long time ago)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:29:37 pm by eerr »

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2011, 08:48:25 pm »

Don't talk about torrenting games on commercial websites. It's bad for business.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My guess is that, like someone else said, it's more about ethics than anything else.
You already own the game, you don't need to feel bad about downloading the game because you already paid for it.
Also I'm not expert in this subject, but I'm really interested about it, and as long as you don't seed the game (as your intention is actually to get a working copy), it should be okay.

About posting on forums, they (and all other commercial forums) probably think talking about torrents will lead to links for pirated versions of the game, thus leading to less sales...."It's bad for business".

I personally think sharing is cool, because releasing broken games, not releasing demos at all (forgot this one), or saying that you don't have intentions to patch to a game you just released (sorry for poor sources) and all that crap seems to be a trending in the gaming world.

And I don't wanna sound like a fanboy, but Minecraft was (IS) my best game buying-experience of all time.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2011, 10:05:16 pm »

I'm sensing confusion about torrent technology and "downloading" a game. When you download something with a (non-hacked, standard) torrent client, you aren't just flipping bits on your hard drive; you're uploading while you're downloading.

That's the key. You're distributing copyright material, not simply downloading it. This is when the legal teams get hot and bothered, more than anything else.

Copyright enforcement is broken anyway. Huge waste of resources. Sue a grandma, sue a printer, sue a ten year-old, sue some dead people. Look like a douche in front of consumers everywhere. Piracy is the scapegoat of choice for failure and weak profits. The corporate phallus is immense, smug and uninformed. DOWN WITH THE MAN!

Sorry, I forget myself. Don't feel bad about grabbing the game somewhere else. Feel bad for the ludicrous line of thinking that goes into treating one of your paying customers like a criminal fringe element.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2011, 10:07:27 pm »

Hurray for another mostly biased anti-piracy article.

Despise all the good sharing did, they still wont admit it openly.

Cowards.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14