Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Problem  (Read 1043 times)

Jome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem
« on: January 22, 2011, 01:20:21 pm »

Hello guys.

First of all, wonderfull game.
Second, I'm having troubles playing this game.
In short, whenever I select my embarking spot, ready up and such the game will almost always crash. The times that it doesn't do this it will allow me to play a bit then suddenly and without any reason to do so it will stop working. I wasn't sure where to post it but this ONLY happens in fortress mode so I figured I'd post here. Sorry if it is the wrong place.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 01:28:18 pm »

Hello and welcome to bay12 unofficial help desk. Please, take a seat right over there. Now, we need information. Would you kindly provide us with spec of your computer? You know, the stuff every help desks ask for. And we'd also need you to skim through error.txt and report anything unusual that might have shown up.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Jome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 01:36:51 pm »

I know what specs are, just not how to find out where I can find those.
And what would be unusual to show up in error.txt?

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 02:07:34 pm »

I know what specs are, just not how to find out where I can find those.
CPU speed, RAM and free HDD space, it all boil down to that.
And what would be unusual to show up in error.txt?
anything that's not some sort of recursive pathfinding
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Jome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 02:39:46 pm »

Nope, theres nothing in the error log, just some things saying that some dwarf cant do this and that.

1354 MB available ( thats a bit .. not much but whatev. )

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 02:42:32 pm »

you need more glue magma on your processor see when it gets to hot it comes unstuck so you need to put more glue magma on it to make it stick

edit fxd
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

Jome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 02:44:26 pm »

How about deleting my win32 whilst I am on it? No thank you.

Something else though; the game works ( although a bit slow .. ) when I am not on firefox the same time. If I AM though the maps sometimes dont even load. If I have youtube on and playing whilst playing it is even worse. So it might be because of the low amount of space.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 02:47:17 pm »

Might be a memory issue.  Try embarking on a minimum-size embark site and see if that helps.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Bererez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 02:47:52 pm »

How about deleting my win32 whilst I am on it? No thank you.

woah woah woah...

LET'S NOT GET CRAZY!!!
"ur ist... nein, ich will sagen 'es,' ur es"
Something you might type in a German language class if you were stupid and playing some kind of text tag, I guess.

urist

Jome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 02:52:04 pm »

Might be a memory issue.  Try embarking on a minimum-size embark site and see if that helps.

The thing is more that after I go to press e; Embark! the map will sometimes show up. I've done it with 2 blocks of map and still getting stuck whilst a large map ( I usually press 3 times U, 3 times K ) would practically work untill the game itself got stuck.

And adventure mode is working fine.

manicmoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 02:54:46 pm »

You can easily get system specs from a program called dxdiag, just click Start and type dxdiag into the Start Search bar and hit enter (or if WinXP go to Start Run, type it in there and hit enter)

On the first screen your processor and RAM are listed, on the display tab your video card is listed (probably not as crucial here though)

Your best bet is to choose a small embark with little flowing water and see if that helps

Here is a page from the wiki on maximizing FPS

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Maximizing_framerate

Hope this helps!

-Dave (manicmoose)

Jome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 02:59:20 pm »

Actually I did that with dxdiag, to find out my RAM.

Thing is, I'm Dutch so everything is listed as Dutch and I cant make out the things very well from what you say and what the screen says.

Intel pentium 4CPU 3.00GHZ

960 RAM

1017MB used, 1299 free ( I deleted some stuff, still busy )

Dirext X 9.0

this is all I can make out of it.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 03:55:08 pm »

I think it may be a memory issue, but then again your RAM is listed oddly. Usually RAM is measured in megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). I would assume that you have 960MB RAM, or about a gig, but clarification would help.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Jome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 04:21:04 pm »

I think I have 1299 RAM left, or something among that line.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 04:36:10 pm »

Welcome!

First idea:

DF only works on my Main Computer, which has 2 GB Ram. On my secondary one i have only 1 GB and there i have these loading Issues, just like you. If you can afford it buy another Stick with 1 GB (Which is never a bad idea, most of my games work better since i have more RAM).

Second Idea:

In another Thread a guy had an similiar problem, he found out that the volcano on his embarksite was Glitched. Did you try different Places? Might work.

Hope you get it fixed!
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.
Pages: [1] 2