Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36

Author Topic: The questions, riddles and puzzles thread  (Read 37446 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: The questions, riddles and puzzles thread
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 07:56:04 pm »

Yes. I like this new thread.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 07:56:28 pm »

Via X of course. How would I know that the ball would have the initial velocity to overcome the hump in the first place?
Not a trick question.  The mass can overcome the slight hump.

EDIT: Uh, by the way, the main thing is to read the last sentence of the question carefully.  Make sure you know what you're answering.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:01:13 pm by Leafsnail »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 08:04:15 pm »

I think that it's X

Explanation:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Even the avatars expire eventually.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 08:18:45 pm »

Well, let's assume that going up a hill is V-1, and going down a hill is V+1. If the two humps are exactly equal in size but simply in inverse, then both balls would reach the end in the same amount of time. That is; if friction was still in play.

Since it's not, the ball from Y has increased velocity for a longer duration of time, so ball Y reaches the end first. I think. I really haven't taken physics yet so I don't know the mechanics of what would actually happen in a frictionless environment, but there's my rough stab at it, at least.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 08:23:02 pm »

Strife's answer is completely correct.  They both end at the same speed, but since X had a faster bit in the middle (while Y had a slower bit in the middle) X finishes earlier.

I don't think introduction of friction would change things much (except making it a bit more complicated).

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 08:23:45 pm »

I am very sure it's faster via X.

It will travel the same speed before and after the valley/hump no matter which path it takes.  But in X, its velocity will rise above its original velocity then slow back to normal, and in Y, its velocity will drop below its original velocity then raise back to normal.  Therefore it will cross the valley in less time than it will cross the hump.

...Wow, very ninja'd.  Also I'm slow while at work.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 08:26:59 pm »

I am very sure it's faster via X.

It will travel the same speed before and after the valley/hump no matter which path it takes.  But in X, its velocity will rise above its original velocity then slow back to normal, and in Y, its velocity will drop below its original velocity then raise back to normal.  Therefore it will cross the valley in less time than it will cross the hump.

...Wow, very ninja'd.  Also I'm slow while at work.
I didn't think of the accumulated drag from the initial rise. Turned out I was right initially, but for the wrong reasons.  :P

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 10:21:12 pm »

We need some more questions!

Here's my super number riddle all in one spot.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Suppose you go back in time and muck with history a bit. One thing leads to another and you eventually become your own parent. Weird, true, but the Guide tells us that it's a survivable thing in a relationship. How does your DNA work?

I could go get some Diabolic Cheesecake riddles from C&A if we want more . . .

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 10:27:42 pm »

Y! Because the extra momentum from coming down rthe other side makes it travel faster for longer to travel the distance to B! I think.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 10:45:28 pm »

Y! Because the extra momentum from coming down rthe other side makes it travel faster for longer to travel the distance to B! I think.

In a frictionless environment, the momentum gained from going down the far side of the hill is exactly equal to what is lost on the near side.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 11:01:39 pm »

In a frictionless environment, the momentum gained from going down the far side of the hill is exactly equal to what is lost on the near side.

It's D. Simple thermodynamics: In order to go up a certain elevation, you lose an amount of energy equal to the amount of energy you'd gain going down that same elevation. Unless some is being lost to friction or some other thing, which it isn't.

In one case, it goes up h centimeters and loses k joules of kinetic energy, then goes down h centimeters and gains that same amount k of kinetic energy. In the other case, the opposite thing happens, but in either case, after the hump/dip it has velocity v0 as there is no net gain or less in kinetic energy whatsoever.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 11:04:25 pm »

Actually, the kinetic energy of the mass is being converted to gravitational potential energy and vice-versa. The energy's not going anywhere, because nothing's doing work on it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 11:05:36 pm »

Shhh! I thought I was right! Then theoretically, they both take the same amount of time.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 11:06:17 pm »

Actually, the kinetic energy of the mass is being converted to gravitational potential energy and vice-versa. It's not going anywhere, because nothing's doing work on it.

Correct. When I refer to it "losing" kinetic energy, obviously that energy is going somewhere, and it's going into gravitational potential energy of the object (relative to whatever gravitational potential energy it already has).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2011, 11:09:38 pm »

Going through path X, the mass gains speed as it enters the dip, until it reaches the bottom. With Y, it loses speed. Then, both accelerations are reversed until the mass reaches its initial speed. There's no denying that the mass goes faster through X.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36