Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Economy completely broken?  (Read 1631 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Economy completely broken?
« on: January 21, 2011, 03:51:30 pm »

If I have Economy enabled is it at least partially working...or is it so far gone that it only creates massive bugs that make it not even worth having on?

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Economy completely broken?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:55:41 pm »

It doesn't trigger at all.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 03:57:38 pm »

To be honest, I don't even know what economy is. Now, killing elves, that I know.
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 03:57:51 pm »

It's just as well... even when it was working, the Dwarven Economy represented a real economy to about the same extent that a bowl of poison ivy represents a salad.
Never pet a burning dog.

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 04:01:21 pm »

The economy turned happy idlers into starving hobos. Since a handful of legendary dwarfs can easily provide for a 200+ sized fort, this wouldn't have changed in 3.18. Be happy that it's disabled until it's rewritten.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 04:04:42 pm »

lol fair enough. I wonder if the economy is gonna get any sort of revamp with this caravan/trade update (nothing serious of course but maybe enough to re implement it in some way)...I know Toady has mentioned needing to do something with the economy many times...Just seems like a very nice late game addition...as for the idlers = hobos...I RARELY rely on legendary dwarfs for anything but mining....I try and make everyone useful (even if it means just turning on all farming jobs for a group or all crafting jobs or whatever....no I dont care about quality all to much except in special circumstances)...I atleast make everyone carpenters (for wooden walls mostly), masons (for walls and blocks....I build with blocks), and stone smoothers (don't engrave to much)

Cydonian Monk

• Bay Watcher
  • Your robots are watching you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 04:11:03 pm »

It's just as well... even when it was working, the Dwarven Economy represented a real economy to about the same extent that a bowl of poison ivy represents a salad.

What economy do you live in?  To me it seemed just like America - everyone was buying useless things they couldn't use (you just bought 10 small dwarf-leather thongs? Really?), they spent way too much time counting their money (unless you went the virtual no-coin route), the prices of goods fluctuated with supply and demand (but mostly with the demands of the government/nobility), only the super-rich could afford their rent (it was a constant cycle of eviction), and the really good foods were way too expensive (so folks only ate the poor-quality crap that was just slapped out there by a 12-year-old chef).

What part of that wasn't realistic?

But no, I'm reasonably certain the economy doesn't work in DF2010.  DF2011 - you had better hope it works, or the entire world will die of starvation after year 1.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 04:17:54 pm »

...holy $h17 I just realized it is 2011

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 05:07:47 pm »

What part of that wasn't realistic?

There is a distinct lack of Platinum Credit Cards.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 05:10:33 pm »

Well those are only for fancy bastards that get approved for em (I am sure there are plenty out there that just say platinum to make you feel special)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 12:41:55 am »

Well those are only for fancy bastards that get approved for em (I am sure there are plenty out there that just say platinum to make you feel special)

My card says platinum and I'm a poor bastard. I've never been anything but.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 02:51:08 am »

You sure it isn't a plastinum credit card?  They're only good for keeping you a poor bastard... and pissing you off.

I think they're issued by Elves.  Or maybe Nobles.

I've tried writing my local political representative about it, but the magma keeps burning up the envelopes.   ::)
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 07:35:27 am »

"A thief has stolen a platinum credit card." Would sure bring up some Fun.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 10:41:18 am »

Idlers?  What are idlers?  I have workers, military, more military, even more military, and some masons to work on megaprojects.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 03:38:00 pm »

Yeah military is what everyone makes it into for me....and then when I get some huge sieges I let em loose and watch the pain and death...its great...
Pages: [1] 2