Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Ecstasy  (Read 1528 times)

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
Dwarven Ecstasy
« on: January 18, 2011, 08:15:30 am »

So currently 39 of my 42 dwarves are ecstatic.

They have no rooms, no furniture, they sleep on the ground, and their diet consists of a lot of berries, some more meat recently since I had to butcher some cats and cows for a mood, but over all they're roughing it.

So why are they so happy?
What magical mushroom have they been eating?

Oh, no, I just have a meeting area next to the ocean. They spend their free time getting misted by the sea. And they love it.

This is actually making the game kinda easy. In my last fort I had this set up, someone died, and naturally, he was friends with everyone. And then HIS friend died, who was also friends with everyone. Did anyone care? Well, maybe a bit, but they were still content.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Ecstasy
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 08:18:19 am »

seems like the mist made them ecstasyc
Desu

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 09:06:17 am »

Ya it's very easy to keep people happy. The stories you read on the wiki or seldomly in the forum are extreme cases and unless you are doing something very very out of ordinary it wont ever occur. In example dwarves would be happy just from talking with each other even if they are starving, have no water and no where to sleep. Or if you atomsmash 5 out of your 7 initial dwarves which are all friends of each other, the chance of the remaining 2 surviving the miserable thought is actually above 50%
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 09:13:12 am »

Countless of pet cats and wardogs (I do have the door set so pets won't be able to open it, but they stalk the dwarves outside...) and some babies have died in my danger room, still nobody ever is unhappy.
Only time Canyonown has had more tha none unhappy dorf is when I ran out of booze. And this lasted only for couple of minutes, since a caravan came.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 09:29:55 am »

This is why people joke that dwarves are bi-polar:  they either are ecstatic or extremely unhappy, and very rarely anything in between.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 10:15:08 am »

I've never had a dwarf go beserk or melancholy. It's easy enough to keep them happy; just give them a huge dining room.

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 10:31:16 am »

I've never had a dwarf go beserk or melancholy. It's easy enough to keep them happy; just give them a huge dining room.
1 room meeting hall would fix that. 1 year and everyones best friends with everyone untill a couple die in a ambush. Instant FUN  :D

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 10:33:22 am »

And a variety of trash  for their moods. Had lost a few dorfs because of that.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 12:31:18 pm »

I tend to find that my forts are all pretty happy too.  About the only occasionally unhappy ones are the idiot cat hypnosis victims whose precious fluffy gets "accidentally" speared on the danger room's training spears.  And even they get over it pretty quick.  Danger rooms, incidentally, are great cat control since cats wander compulsively into any and every area they can.  Just be careful of your multi-cat owners; they really will get distraught if two of their fluffy brainwashers get skewered too closely to one another.
Sanity is for the weak.

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 03:30:50 pm »

Yeah, this is just the first time I've seen mass ecstasy in my dwarfs.
Probably because I usually replay the first 3-5 years, where they don't have beds or chairs or tables.
I just seem to really make double helix descending ramps.

But I mean, seriously? I have 40+ Dwarves with one THOUSAND happiness points each. That... just can't be right.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 03:32:53 pm »

I've only gotten one tantrum spiral, ever. And it took twenty dead in a siege, constant ghost sightings, and an overzealous fortress guard keeping it going.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 02:21:00 am »

I agree for the most part, but tantrum spirals do happen without doing anything unusual (atomsmashing dwarves etc.).  I weathered two in my current fortress--one initiated by a mother and two children catching a goblin raid while hunting (she was a good hunter...), the next by a F.B. plague that killed many many dwarves. Now they are all ecstatic again.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 07:29:54 am »

But I mean, seriously? I have 40+ Dwarves with one THOUSAND happiness points each. That... just can't be right.
Lots of romances, births and marriages? :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.