Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Once Again: Looking for a Free MMO  (Read 3781 times)

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
Once Again: Looking for a Free MMO
« on: January 17, 2011, 06:45:42 pm »

I really haven't posted here in a long time...

I just thought I'd come by to the perhaps one reliable source of advice on MMOs to play that remains available to me. You see, I'm looking for a free MMO. I don't care if you think it's good or fun, I'll decide that for myself. I don't care if it's browser-based or client-based, just as long as my computer can handle it. My specs are, as follows -

• Pentium 4 1.5 Ghz
  • ATI Radeon 9250 256 MB
  • CMedia Mixer Sound Card
  • WiFi, maximum speed 3 Mbps[/i]
Now, as for what's fun for me, I like games with a wide range of character customization options in regards to appearance, equipment, and class. Race and Gender don't matter, since I always play something female. Crafting is fine, open-ended play is fine, and PvP is entirely okay, as long as it's not a key selling point of the game. If there is a cash shop, it must not be what is entirely necessary to get all of the content, just only a few things that might make the game easier. I must be able to design a build that will allow me to solo pretty much anything, seeing as the f2p MMO communities usually end up being made of suck and fail.

Now, as for games that I've tried, the list goes on and on, seeing as I've been playing MMOs and MUDs since I was 14, if not sooner. They include Illarion, Haven and Hearth, Furcadia, Secret of Mirage, RPG World Online, MapleStory, Mabinogi, Asda Story, Wonderland Online, DarkOrbit, ForumWarz, Rumble Fighter, La Tale, Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine, Shaiya, NeoSteam, Dungeons and Dragons Online, and the latest one I quit, Cosmic Break. I also used to play Everquest II on an older machine back when it was p2p, and used to play WoW as well.

So, I humbly ask that the denziens of Bay12Games please suggest a MMO that my computer can handle, and that you think I would enjoy. Thank you.

Cannabust

• Bay Watcher
  • Prick with a pick
    • View Profile
Re: Once Again: Looking for a Free MMO
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 06:52:56 pm »

http://vindictus.nexon.net/

The only F2P MMO I've ever found fun, it's not turn based but action based, and you can do plenty of neat things in it!
Current Adventurer: Fel AXESEVER, the MOUNTAINOUS VIOLENCE
http://new-eggbert.myminicity.com/ind (WE NEED FACTORIES!)
Armok needs blood, I just do it with picks.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 06:59:02 pm »

My computer cannot handle Vindictus. Please only recommend games that my computer could handle. I have my specifications listed above in the first post.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 07:02:59 pm »

You might be able to handle anarchy online. I used to play it a lot. *shrugs*

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 07:07:16 pm »

My computer cannot handle Vindictus. Please only recommend games that my computer could handle. I have my specifications listed above in the first post.

To be fair, your specs aren't the greatest - the CPU, in particular, leaves a lot to be desired. In fact, I had to check the Blizzard Support page to confirm, much to my disbelief, that you could play WoW on that machine. And you technically don't meet the DD:O system requirements, missing the CPU minimum requirement by 0.1 GHz. That, coupled with the pretty impressive list of games you've already played, makes our job a heck of a lot tougher, you see!

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 07:24:54 pm »

@Soulwynd - Well, what is there you could tell me about Anarchy Online? I've heard very little about it, so I don't know if I'd like it.

@Thexor - I know my specs aren't the greatest. Unfortunately, I'm unable to work, and I have about $115 leftover after bills and food each month due to being on Social Security and having to pay $575 rent. I can't upgrade my computer even if I wanted to. But yeah, I'm sorry that I've made your job pretty hard. In fact, I actually left at least one or two games out of that list unintentionally. I've played so many MMOs in what is now the past decade, that I'm running out of ones I can play.

Well, either way, I hope you guys can come up with something. Until then, it's probably going to be a lot of Dwarf Fortress and eroge for me, seeing as I don't have that many games I can play. Plus, since I have not a single offline friend, I rely on MMOs for socialization, which kind of sucks. So, please try your best.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 08:08:53 pm »

Ultima Online free shards, right now I'm enjoying Excelsior, once I finish with that I'm gonna try out a few servers listed on ConnectUO. Very low system requirements.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 08:26:40 pm »

Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst. Of course, character creation is relatively limited, as is growth, but its an enjoyable game.

HellMOO. Its is technically an MMO.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 08:36:01 pm »

Well if you want something unconventional that offers great role-playing I offer Cantr! http://www.cantr.net/ Personally one of the few mmos I can stand. Apart from that try Wurm Online? Fun until it gets too tedious.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 08:37:57 pm »

Maplestory recently went through a huge update where the level curve is now a fifth of its previous size. If the grind got too much you could look back and get the feeling of blazing through the game for around five minutes.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 09:22:04 pm »

@Soulwynd - Well, what is there you could tell me about Anarchy Online? I've heard very little about it, so I don't know if I'd like it.
Well, it's a level & skill based mmo, very old school and the free version is hard to play, but well, it used to be the original paid version, so it's pretty complete and fulfilling.

The setting is futuristic, on another planet. There's no magic, but there are nanites you can control to do some effects. One of the classes can even summon ammo. And yes, most classes use guns instead of melee. There are random missions with random dungeons, where you can pick the reward you want.

I wont lie to you tho, the game, specially the free part, is very grindy, very much like old muds, but it's good fun, if you ask me.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 09:38:01 pm »

Battleground Europe just went free rifles. Not an RPG in any sense, but still a very good MMO. Not too too heavy requirements i don't think.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 12:34:42 am »

I heard whispering about this FPS MMO Mars Wars that kinda looks like a more ugly planetside but 1000 players on the map aint bad i guess.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 01:22:45 am »

I heard whispering about this FPS MMO Mars Wars that kinda looks like a more ugly planetside but 1000 players on the map aint bad i guess.

Don't think it's an MMO, from what I can find googling it's just a UT2004 mod, so I doubt the 1000 players on a map claim.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 01:32:23 am »

Dofus is free and the #1 mmo in France.
I got nothing
Pages: [1] 2 3