Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Bored... Any good games out there?  (Read 7694 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Bored... Any good games out there?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 05:44:53 am »

Obviously it'd be behavior locked in some ways. Go-go 3 laws. (AI: I dun wanna' play with this idiot! Behavior Program: BUT THOU MUST.)

While the moral choice, it'd be incredibly stupid to create something just as intelligent (or even remotely as intelligent) as ourselves without making bloody sure it's not going to do something we don't want it to.

In short, slavery. But it's alright, since we made it (At least until it reaches the age of majority). ::)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trappin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2011, 06:04:53 am »

Nothing the God of bio-mechanics wouldn't let you in heaven for.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 06:27:01 am »

In short, slavery. But it's alright, since we made it

Oh yeah, that'll end well. If we built a non-Friendly AI capable of improving itself, odds are that it would become superintelligent, and, well, if it decided to eliminate us, having an intelligence score of 5 billion on a scale of 3-18, it wouldn't do a half-assed job of it. Not like the piss-poor job the Cylons did on the new Battlestar Galactica (oops, we failed to kill all humans), or Skynet failing repeatedly (Let's invent time travel and then send only one assassin back in time, with insufficient guards at the time travel facility, so that the rebels get the chance to send one of their own back too, when Skynet really should have just sent a message back to its past self to tell it to kill all prisoners (Since it had Connor in custody at one point, and apparently doesn't bother to kill prisoners for some bizarre reason, because it's an insufficiently heartless evil AI (how does that work), I suppose)).

Really, an evil superintelligent AI could just send up some satellites, disguised as commercial satellites, which take off and realign some asteroid orbits to slam them into the planet at high enough speed to wipe out all civilization. It's not like we'd be able to come up with a defense in time: Our defense right now consists of "Well, we're assuming it'll be a random occurance and we'll see it coming 20 years in advance and be able to invent, design, and build something to move it out of the way. And that there's no reason to do said research before we see it coming." (I'd call this insufficient paranoia)

If the evil AI wants to survive the cataclysm, it can just send itself into orbit as well, to the Moon, to some asteroids, or put its code into von neumann probes: It could start up a von neumann-like artificially intelligent replicator plague in space to take over the world galaxy, and wipe out everyone it meets with asteroids. Hell, it'd probably wind up broadcasting a global communication to each world just before impact, containing the message "Rocks Fall! Everyone Dies!" for the comedic value (to itself) of the memetic reference to what would then be an extinct Earth civilization's culture, which nobody else in the entire universe would get.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:29:36 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2011, 06:35:46 am »

In fact AI/advanced civilization can become ruler of world via hacking everything and everyone (described in "Deepness in the sky" by Vernor Vinge).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 06:39:29 am »

Oh yeah, that'll end well. If we built a non-Friendly AI capable of improving itself, odds are that it would become superintelligent, and, well, if it decided to eliminate us, having an intelligence score of 5 billion on a scale of 3-18, it wouldn't do a half-assed job of it. Not like the piss-poor job the Cylons did on the new Battlestar Galactica (oops, we failed to kill all humans), or Skynet failing repeatedly (Let's invent time travel and then send only one assassin back in time, with insufficient guards at the time travel facility, so that the rebels get the chance to send one of their own back too, when Skynet really should have just sent a message back to its past self to tell it to kill all prisoners (Since it had Connor in custody at one point, and apparently doesn't bother to kill prisoners for some bizarre reason, because it's an insufficiently heartless evil AI (how does that work), I suppose)).

Really, an evil superintelligent AI could just send up some satellites, disguised as commercial satellites, which take off and realign some asteroid orbits to slam them into the planet at high enough speed to wipe out all civilization. It's not like we'd be able to come up with a defense in time: Our defense right now consists of "Well, we're assuming it'll be a random occurance and we'll see it coming 20 years in advance and be able to invent, design, and build something to move it out of the way. And that there's no reason to do said research before we see it coming." (I'd call this insufficient paranoia)

If the evil AI wants to survive the cataclysm, it can just send itself into orbit as well, to the Moon, to some asteroids, or put its code into von neumann probes: It could start up a von neumann-like artificially intelligent replicator plague in space to take over the world galaxy, and wipe out everyone it meets with asteroids. Hell, it'd probably wind up broadcasting a global communication to each world just before impact, containing the message "Rocks Fall! Everyone Dies!" for the comedic value (to itself) of the memetic reference to what would then be an extinct Earth civilization's culture, which nobody else in the entire universe would get.

That is the single greatest thing I have ever read!!
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

vikingefar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 09:08:24 am »

That is the single greatest thing I have ever read!!

gotta love b12

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2011, 09:19:48 am »

In fact AI/advanced civilization can become ruler of world via hacking everything and everyone (described in "Deepness in the sky" by Vernor Vinge).

Trust the Computer, the Computer is your friend.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2011, 09:25:23 am »

Trust the Computer, the Computer is your friend.
[/quote]

Gotta love when a Paranoia reference pops up  :D
Only a simple mind can be certain.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 10:35:15 am »

Few things, first, have you tried flash games? they are free and I seem to spend almost as much time playing a newgrounds game as a steam one these days.  If you cant find something to amuse you in the 187575740924507 flash games on the net its probably time to take a break.
  Arcanum was an rpg that rocked back in the day (not too far back, think fallout 2)  If you havent played fallout 2 then that will sort out all your probs.
  Rouge survivor ate up a fair bit of my time for a while, there is a forum post on it.
  Stranded 1 and 2 are both odd but interesting little games
  If you like tropico 3 maybe check out The Movies (made by lionhead, mob who did black and white)
  There are more rougelikes out there than you can poke a stick at, if rpgs are your thing they can be alot of fun.
  Jagged Alliance 2 is a damn good rpg(ish)/strategy game, Silent storm is a more modern version but a bit less fun imo.
  Modding or level design can be a great way for the serious gamer to spend a bit of time.  Level design especially isnt massively difficult.  I got a vague understanding of hammer (used for HL2, TF2, L4D mapping) in a day just fiddling about and watching the youtube tutes.
  If you already  have fallout NV then just mod the crap out of it, there is a mod for building your own town out in the wastes ive had a few mates say is getting decent.  In fact take any decent game and mod the crap out of it, I played 4 hours of mount and blade warband before I modded it, 35 after.
  The Close combat series are decent strategy games.
  My personal opinion is that none of the major game companies are interested in making anything seriously original, poke about on forums and hunt up the indie developers that are working on oddball things.

Sorry to derail the derailing

If life gives you lemons, burn them.

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2011, 11:32:12 am »

The various starcraft AIs showcased were certainly impressive. Certainly an improvement over the standard, which frequently resulted in matches where your opponent builds a dozen SCVs/probes/drones, then gathers resources indefinitely without building anything else. I would be interested to know if they would be able to adapt on the fly to the introduction of new units with entirely new abilities (for example: a unit that can alter terrain, or a unit that can capture other units), and make use of these new units intelligently, while a game is in progress without any changes to their code. Given the description of the Overmind's capabilties, and its mechanics, this might actually be the case.

The brief description of the Jeopardy bot was also encouraging.

The next step is an RTS A.I. that makes use of the chat function to communicate with allies and enemies, that is capable of deceptions, feints, bluffs, and double-crossing its own allies for the long-term victory. It should also learn about its opponent's psychological weaknesses while communicating, and use that information to manipulate his or her emotions, leading to easily-exploitable mistakes in execution.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2011, 11:50:59 am »

Go buy Magicka. :p

mross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2011, 11:59:40 am »

Actually I'm buying it first of the month.

I kinda forgot to mention in my first post that this is the first game I've seen a while that actually looks pretty sweet, I mean how can you not like it

Unfortunately I know there's no way I'll ever be able to run it, so :(

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2011, 07:07:03 pm »

This thread has caught my eye owing to the fact that I feel more or less, exactly has the OP does, I also noted lots of good advice and the person who mentions tiredness having an effect on game enjoyment may be onto something, nice theory for sure, I havent really thought about it but after Uni the last few days I am sitting here about sleeping, heres the thing I was enjoying X terran conflict a few days back and now I can be bothered so maybe its the tiredness

To the OP terran conflict is a time sink now yes it does a good job as a trade sim but the fact is x terran conflict has so much more than all other x series games which were quite boring unless u found away to exploit the boring simulator, that may well put you of but the fact is , in terran you can go capturing small mesium ships(i.e stealing) or boaording the top level huge ships after training your marines via sucesful boards of easier ships.

Theres numerous campaigns in it and unlike the older x games where you put your life on the line , spent 3 weeks on some crappy plot sub mission well terran is not like that sure the story isnt epic but you do get good rewards this time so you can be viable very fast and hence enjoying the game without just doing buy low sell high rubbish and calling what is in essencee ecconomics a game for most.

Do you like the old snes games? get a snes or an emulator and put on shadowrun, offcourse you must own the game and not go searching google for shadowrun roms that could be illeagal

another old school set of games I bought of steam was the xcom series
I also bought groteque tactics and for all the good reviews it got at the time i didnt think much of it at all

Then theres "The last remnant" , many of the younger users on the steam forums rage quit at one of the bosses but i really liked  that game, some of the bosses required good tactics, the graphiicss were good and there was lots of content but it wwas not bland looking content, the story wasnt bad once it got started (It does start kinda slow)

The combat system took critisism but I also liked it

When I think of more I will post, anyway great thread all, I hope I helped with some of my old and not so old school suggestions :)

Ow and last but not least, GET WARBAND (as in mount & blade warband) if you havent got it, suffice to say I NEVER buy sequels, ever because I like unique original things but if you played the first mount and blade, remember how having your own empire wasnt feasible? Well it is now and you get lords and become a king, you control and appoint minister of state marshalls and vassals who act independently in your defence but who will do your every whim if you send the command, hell warband has so much added , tbh anyone new to the game I would say just dont buy mount & blade 1 and get warband its just brilliant and has loads more than m&b 1 , additionally theres a great multiplayer mod called crpg which maes mp more like single player, you start as a peasant though and login to a web server m&b map, move about goto shops buy gear and level up through killing in MP (actually the shop thing is strategus , play both these)

also theres a new m&b mod which claims that it makes the game play like single player except you and a friend are on differqant pcs and you can help each other in fights etc via mp having the benefit of a mp game as well. (I havent verified it works but am eager to try it when my friend grets his neew PC

P.S you folks are the best, I just bought Magika :D didnt know of that one!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:33:45 pm by firefly28 »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2011, 07:57:15 pm »

If you are going to play a Shadowrun ROM make it the Sega Genesis one, as it is closer to the RPG and imho a better game experience.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2011, 07:59:04 pm »

Or better yet, just play both. They're different enough from each other to get enjoyable playthroughs from either.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 08:03:01 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4