Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyone else name their dwarfs after people they know?  (Read 1271 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else name their dwarfs after people they know?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 07:45:28 am »

I always name my militia commander after my username. In my current fort, I'm on Zaerosz XVII. Whoops, no, make that XVIII. Maybe I should give him some armour this time.
くコ:彡

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 11:14:35 am »

Yup. I named myself after a modest miner (before an fb blood related death) and almost all noble positions have names, which makes it even funnier when my mayor asks for stuff made out of unicorn hoof. Most notable is my dad as the military commander. 25 notable kills and a Master Swordsdwarf  :D.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:16:29 am by NotPete »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 11:51:50 am »

Generally not with real people, as it doesn't appeal to me. But the next stable fortress I make I'm totally going to bring along a surgeon and call them Dero. In their spare time they can dissect stuff instead of hanging around the hospital playing with a pair of scissors and grinning alarmingly at anyone wanders by.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

The11th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 08:22:12 pm »

Totally I do! My friends don't have very dwarfy names but I do it anyway. I usually name my miners because I love my miners.

*hugs her miners!*

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 08:25:11 pm »

Yeah but.....they last like 4 years until they die. It doesn't help that each one is in the military.

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 08:29:42 pm »

All the damn time. It gets especially funny when they shack up and make a baby.

Or when they get eaten by Sasquatches. Or tantrum and stab each other in their spines. Or bite a Giant Cave Swallow Man to death. I guess what I'm getting at is it's awesome.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 08:36:53 pm »

I'm doing an entire fort after my freinds.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 10:20:14 pm »

The only dorf I ever gave a custom name I named dumbass because he became possessed and then grabbed a bone along with most of my steel (only 3 bars but still) along with a star sapphire and then made a bone scepter or something with nothing on it.

Seanp888

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy *shrug*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 11:21:51 pm »

I pretty much just name One for my self then 1 each for my sisters After those its just me messing around like naming some guy that got is arms broken "Broken Bob".
\  I don't imagine them marching out there in a column and facing the enemy in a phalanx and using traditional footwork and precise blows to disable their target.  I figure they chug six beers, strap up and roll out with the intention of making something vomit.\

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 09:44:45 pm »

I named a particularly incompetent medical dwarf "dr. spaceman" after the 30 rock staff doctor.  He became my first of many chief medical/captain of the guards.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 10:15:29 pm »

Not like these were my pals or relatives but George Washington and Vladimir Lenin anyone?

However most of the time I just give then number, this way it's much easier to distinguish my dwarves and fps burden spawned by RNG. Heck, I really grow attached to them not that single death is unacceptable but I've savescumed an armorer fey mood recently beause I've lost full squad of massons chasing deer in the forest. (Seriously those deer killed all 7 of them and I've reverted)
Maybe I'll get a long lasting fortress one day and then if I get a message like: '17' weaponsmith died of old age I'll be like:'Dammit, he was a good guy. He came to this fort as useless potash maker, I remember placing additional coffin when he was hauled to a hospital after encountering siege, and so on and so on..'
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 10:17:26 pm »

Occasionally, yes. Not as often as I might should, though

I name my dwarves after MSPA characters, but only after they've proven to have their personalities.

I never want a dwarf in my fortress that acts like Viskra. *shudder*
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 10:25:14 pm »

I never want a dwarf in my fortress that acts like Viskra. *shudder*

She's my Baroness.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 10:38:49 pm »

I name dors after characters from books I have read. My first three masons are Cletus, Loftus and Longinus. My first champion with a masterwork obsidian sword is Anomander, weaponsmith is named Withal, armoursmith is Tandarion... Anyone catch where any of those are from?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 12:35:15 am »

I name Dorfs I really like. It's usually my username, but I don't really name many more. There is one legendary miner than I named "Kibbles n Bits" because she really likes to eat dog meat.
I hope I can find a really mean Militia Commander or Sheriff to name "Hitler".
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 12:36:51 am by NewsMuffin »
Pages: 1 [2]