Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Misc. Religion Suggestions: Syncretism, Power Succession, and others...  (Read 2806 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Misc. Religion Suggestions: Syncretism, Power Succession, and others...
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 01:16:41 am »

Also, I find the fact that a big post on religious implementation being written by a Discordian to be obscurely hilarious.

The random god generator has Bulldada.

(BTW, which thing tipped you off that I was a Discordian? The personal text that mentions Discordia (while at the same time misquoting a line from a cartoon show :D), the screen name, and/or the fact that when you look closely my avatar is not the yellow sign of Hastur but in fact a heavily stylized Dobbshead*?...)

* From the closely related Church of the SubGenius
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:20:27 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 09:11:16 am »

On a related note, perhaps the religion generator could also incorporate something like this program foir generating random commandments.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:22:27 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 05:37:23 pm »

I like the related deities. I would also like it if, when you view a deity's info from a dwarf's relationship screen, it would show you all of the deity's relationships (eg deity's family, if implemented, or even current worshippers in your fort.)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 09:50:47 pm »

Just had another idea. To help the modders there could be an entity token that allows a civilization to ignore a designated religious sphere's preclusion or association lists (for other spheres that can be posessed by a deity with that sphere). Or a token to add preclusions or associations for a given sphere within a given entity.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 10:02:58 pm »

Just had another idea. To help the modders there could be an entity token that allows a civilization to ignore a designated religious sphere's preclusion or association lists (for other spheres that can be posessed by a deity with that sphere). Or a token to add preclusions or associations for a given sphere within a given entity.

... It took me about five reads to understand what you were talking about, here...

So what you're saying is that you want to have a way of modifying entity religion tokens in a way that lets you add both water and fire spheres to the possible religions at the same time, then?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 10:04:02 pm »

... It took me about five reads to understand what you were talking about, here...

So what you're saying is that you want to have a way of modifying entity religion tokens in a way that lets you add both water and fire spheres to the possible religions at the same time, then?

Yes.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 08:35:11 pm »

Yes.

BTW, Can you suggest a better way for me to word it on the first page?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2011, 09:34:29 pm »

7.) Moddable Sphere Preclusions/Associations: To help the modders there could be an entity token that allows a civilization to ignore a designated religious sphere's preclusion or association/'friend' lists (which control which other spheres can be presided over by a deity with a given sphere) and/or a token to add preclusions or associations for a given sphere within a given entity.

The reason it took me a while to get it before was that I didn't recall off the top of my head that the tags for one sphere have to be punched into an entity raw, and that having one sphere will preclude its opposing sphere.  Hence, I wasn't sure what you were talking about when you said "preclusions".  It just takes reminding people of this in a clear way.

7.) Moddable Sphere Preclusions/Associations: Currently, assigning spheres to an entity will have all associated spheres open up to the entity, and bar opposing spheres to that entity's religions.  To help modders customize their cultures, additional token options that allow for absolute inclusion or exclusion of spheres in an entity's religion, regardless of associations, can be made available to modders.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2011, 11:48:34 pm »

7.) Moddable Sphere Preclusions/Associations: To help the modders there could be an entity token that allows a civilization to ignore a designated religious sphere's preclusion or association/'friend' lists (which control which other spheres can be presided over by a deity with a given sphere) and/or a token to add preclusions or associations for a given sphere within a given entity.

The reason it took me a while to get it before was that I didn't recall off the top of my head that the tags for one sphere have to be punched into an entity raw, and that having one sphere will preclude its opposing sphere.  Hence, I wasn't sure what you were talking about when you said "preclusions".  It just takes reminding people of this in a clear way.

7.) Moddable Sphere Preclusions/Associations: Currently, assigning spheres to an entity will have all associated spheres open up to the entity, and bar opposing spheres to that entity's religions.  To help modders customize their cultures, additional token options that allow for absolute inclusion or exclusion of spheres in an entity's religion, regardless of associations, can be made available to modders.

Ok. I'm gonna use that revision.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 02:14:25 am »

Idea #8) Procedurally generated rituals: a deity's description could imclude a very brief description of one or two of the major rituals associated with it. These rituals could be procedurally generated based on the deity's portfolio, its compatability with the rest of the pantheon, and its civilization's ETHICs
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 09:03:27 am »

Procedural religion can be a little quirky.

I remember one of the things someone posted quotes of the game where a priest was extolling the virtues of children, and said stuff like, "Wake up with children!"

There there's stuff like monkey shafts and slut cactii.

That's not to say you shouldn't do that, but just keep in mind that it can make your cultures very silly to have them procedurally generate the Monkeyslut Festival.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2011, 09:47:02 am »

Procedural religion can be a little quirky.

I remember one of the things someone posted quotes of the game where a priest was extolling the virtues of children, and said stuff like, "Wake up with children!"

How is that unrealistic? Other than that he said it out loud?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2011, 10:34:50 am »

I probably shouldn't be posting in response to those last two, but...

How is that unrealistic? Other than that he said it out loud?

It's the total opposite of reality!

He was trying to entice people to join his religion because of the children...

But you have that lingering doubt from reading the news that he's probably just a filthy hypocritical adultophile.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:02:45 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2011, 11:57:06 am »

Yeah, no, I'm serious.  If you look at the different religions/beliefs throughout history, some of them are ridiculous, or would be if they weren't so deadly.  Part of it is understanding the culture they come from, but still.  We've got scientologists, mennonites, jainists and heaven's gate in the modern era.  Historically there's the templars, cults of hecate, assamites, whatever you want to call the Battle Creek crowd, etc.  Every form of animal has worshippers.  Egyptians preserved their bodies with huge fortunes, Indians practiced Sati, Norse were heathens for burning their dead because the couldn't rise on judgement day.

If you dig, I'm sure Rome had some spiritualism about it's man/boy 'mentoring', but I can't quote.

People believe weird, crazy shit.  I'll admit that my beliefs sound crazy to someone who doesn't have them.

Pages: 1 [2] 3