Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Armouring Hunters  (Read 1186 times)

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Armouring Hunters
« on: January 16, 2011, 01:18:13 pm »

Is there any way to ensure that my hunter(s) are moderately protected against any sudden invasions while they are out hunting?

I tried inducting them into the military, and assigning armour to them from the equips menu, but they just went into a recursive dance of; "Pick up quiver, get bolts, put quiver back in stockpile, put bolts back into stockpile, goto start", and completely ignored the armour assigned to them while inactive.
Switching them to active makes them pick up the armour and assigned weapons, but they can no longer hunt while active - which defeats the purpose.

Is there any way I can give them armour while still allowing them to hunt animals for me?

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Armouring Hunters
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 01:27:08 pm »

Put them into a squad, make sure they are not active, but make them wear armor while off-duty.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 01:58:03 pm »

I've made my main hunter captain of his own squad, and made sure he is unactive with no assigned orders.
He still doesn't pick up any of the armour assigned to him, although he does now hunt, and still has his hunting weapons.
He is set to wear uniform while inactive.

Is it something to do with the equipment assignment? Does it have to be a uniform for him to wear it while off-duty?

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 02:00:59 pm »

The reason the above won't work is because Mining, Woodcutting, and Hunting (possibly others?) assign a "phantom uniform" to the dwarf that conflicts with any military uniforms.  So no, I don't think there's a way to keep your hunters from being skewered.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 02:23:50 pm »

Maybe putting them on active but making sure they have no scheduled training works?

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 02:42:54 pm »

How about a civilian defense program where all cloth is dumped and the only choices are armor or nudity?

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 02:48:17 pm »

How about a civilian defense program where all cloth is dumped and the only choices are armor or nudity?
Then they just go nude.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 02:52:22 pm »

Setting them to active just makes them into military, which means they don't hunt.
I've resigned myself to hoping no-one gets too upset when he gets skewered by invaders, and giving him metal bolts instead of bone, hoping he takes a few of them with him.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 03:47:12 pm »

Any reason you're not simply sending the military out to kill all the animals?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 03:48:57 pm »

Personally, I only put a unter on the job if they are at least proficient or higher. Then, I say to hell with bone and wood bolts, and go for pure steel bolts no matter the job.

Had a hunter spot a siege and proceed to kill them all himself with a few steel bolts to the face.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 04:05:15 pm »

Any reason you're not simply sending the military out to kill all the animals?

This.

Also, any reason you did not engineer the landscape to automatically drop wild animals into slaughter pits?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 04:12:28 pm »

As someone said, there is a hunting "uniform."  I think something that Toady wants to implement is civilian uniforms, but first he needs to fix the bug where they won't replace their clothing.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 04:27:48 pm »

Only using a hunter because he came as a migrant with Adept Ambusher and Marksdwarf skills. Thought I might as well use him.
He is now a legendary marksdwarf, archer and ambusher, hence why I want to stop him from getting instagibbed the moment invaders show up.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2011, 04:59:39 pm »

Just keep him in your fort. You probably don't need the meat he brings anyway.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2011, 05:03:35 pm »

Only using a hunter because he came as a migrant with Adept Ambusher and Marksdwarf skills. Thought I might as well use him.
He is now a legendary marksdwarf, archer and ambusher, hence why I want to stop him from getting instagibbed the moment invaders show up.

Have him and your other hunters (just put some useless migrant on hunting if he is your only hunter) in a squad that uses No uniform (Not archer) and trains two times a year.  Give them a barracks (you can just add them to an existing barracks, I haven't tested whether two squads will train together, but everyone will train) and let them level up their wrestling until they become good enough to spar.  Once they do that, they'll start getting better a dodging/fighting/etc. and hopefully he'll be able to dodge his way out of danger until help arrives.  That's the only solution I can think of for now.