Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A proposition for a game  (Read 1400 times)

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
A proposition for a game
« on: January 15, 2011, 08:37:37 pm »

I've posted this before and got no comments on it so I'm going to post this again. And I'm posting it here as this is not a suggestion for the game but a community game idea.

Tag-team fortress!

3 or more teams. One world. They can settle anywhere in the world. The goal? Outlast the other forts.

How it goes:

One person, the mod of the game, Gets all the players who want in, in. then gens a world by majority. The group, consisting of 6 or more people, are then split into teams of 2. They decide where to embark as teams, Then post where they are going to embark BEFORE actually embarking. The catch? no team may embark on another teams spot. I count as the middle area as a spot not the part where you choose to embark, on the left.

After all that is taken care of, Teams decide who goes first for them. It plays like a normal succession game then where one partner play a year deadline is a IRL week then passes off to the other partner and so on.

The point of this is not really winning, nor is it telling the story of one fort. It's telling the story of, in part, a world.

Additionally we can have a variation called Teach and learn fortress! So that a noob to the game can learn directly from a vet of the game while "competing" with the other forts.

Any thoughts/critiques/suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 09:32:07 pm by Kc_spot »
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A proposition for a game
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 09:09:08 pm »

Hey, Im a newb for Fortress mode, And everytime I make a new fortress I learn something new.

This time Around I learned about traps and Hospitals :D

Point being, That Teach and learn could really Steam line the the learning process.
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 09:15:57 pm »

So each group of players would be collaborating in a way to create a larger story that encompasses the entire world?  Like what happens in one fort might impact the story told by another one?

It sounds like it could create a pretty enjoyable story, especially with all the oneupsmanship that would inevitably occur.
The learning forts sound like it could be a good idea, but since most succession forts move more towards creating Fun than creating an impregnable and stable fortress newer players might not learn as much.  It would also only give them vague outlines of what to do and in what order due to the fact that most of the succession forts mostly give the generally summery of what they did, not how it was done.

Overall I like the idea of the multiple forts in the same world, a person dies in one fort and then they show up at another, or one fort "hears" of how one fort fell and swears vengeance on those that destroyed their sister-fort.  There would also end up being little contests to see if a person could create a more impressive mega-construction, deathtrap, tantrum spiral, than the other fort, or possibly try and outdo what they did in the first fort.  The only real problem I would see is that having multiple forts going on in the same thread would get confusing rather fast.  There would have to be a mother thread where the first fort begins and subsequent threads created for the other forts getting more and more unwieldy with the addition of each fort...

In the end though the best thing to do would be simply to try and start one up.  Start with a small two team world, the initial thread setting up the first teams and then maybe two new threads created, one for each fort, then watch the story unfold from there.

If something like this does get started than I'll definitely try and join in though, the potential here is impressive.
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 09:17:19 pm »

Hey, Im a newb for Fortress mode, And everytime I make a new fortress I learn something new.

Point being, That Teach and learn could really Steam line the the learning process.
Hi, Javarock. Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. A lot of people here are insane-sounding; it's not them, it's the dwarves. If you need help, the wiki has most of what you need and the forums have all you need, a lot you don't, and a lag time.

On the topic of the idea, it sounds interesting. I just might join. At least, if the time limit is removed; I'd get distracted with real life and my other forts.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 09:26:28 pm »

Hi, Javarock. Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. A lot of people here are insane-sounding; it's not them, it's the dwarves. If you need help, the wiki has most of what you need and the forums have all you need, a lot you don't, and a lag time.

On the topic of the idea, it sounds interesting. I just might join. At least, if the time limit is removed; I'd get distracted with real life and my other forts.

Well I suppose the time limit can be adjusted for the convenience of the players... the reason I went with a week deadline is well I wanted to adhere to the traditions around here.

As to everyone else understand: the telling of the world story wouldn't be handled by the game it would be handled by the forums, and subsequently the people playing.... though the mod could provide summaries... like "news" or something.

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 09:37:04 pm »

The only real problem I would see is that having multiple forts going on in the same thread would get confusing rather fast.  There would have to be a mother thread where the first fort begins and subsequent threads created for the other forts getting more and more unwieldy with the addition of each fort...

I first workaround I think of is make a entire nother board outside of bay12 for this but the stuff that has to go into that makes it a null choice. The next best thing and easiest idea is interlinking threads. where the mother thread links to the daughter threads, and vice versa. problem with that is the amount of work the mod is doing.

anyone else got ideas?

Also, sorry about the double post. :/

Oh look, A DF blog.

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 09:39:58 pm »

Nah Im only new to Fortress mode, I have played Adventure mode for over half a year so im used to the insane things....
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 09:58:45 pm »

I first workaround I think of is make a entire nother board outside of bay12 for this but the stuff that has to go into that makes it a null choice. The next best thing and easiest idea is interlinking threads. where the mother thread links to the daughter threads, and vice versa. problem with that is the amount of work the mod is doing.

anyone else got ideas?

Also, sorry about the double post. :/

Have the entire thing on another board entirely probably wouldn't be that good of an idea, there would have to be a thread alive on here with the sole purpose of telling people about some other board that they should go to in order to take part in some succession forts, that would probably turn away a lot of people.  I'm thinkin' that we would have to have a mother thread, that one would have the first fort and on it's first post would a list of links to other forts in the same world.  Other forts, and thus threads, could be started at any time by taking the mother threads most recent save, abandoning the fort, and starting a new fort.  This way there could end up being centuries of stories gotten from one world without too much deviation from the original world.  Although when the original fort ends would another fort be started in the same thread or would a new thread be created and made the new "hub" of the fortress network? In time the first post of the mother thread would contain all the previous mother threads, all the other forts that sprang form that world, and info on the current fort.  On the other hand just continuing on the first thread would create a titanic monstrosity that would seem impossible to join in with because it's the same thread on it's fifth fortress starting on page 258...
Another problem would be having forts take place in the same area, there would have to be a world map somewhere with each fort marked so that people coming in hoping to start a fort later wouldn't end up creating a fort in a spot that had been claimed earlier.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 10:24:43 pm »

^^ that seems a little complex. I'm thinking like a WORLD thread then all the forts in the daughter threads. It's a simultaneous start y'see, with the world being created, uploaded then the teams embark on that

Oh look, A DF blog.

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2011, 10:46:58 pm »

I see...
But then there would be a pretty good chance of the world thread slowly vanishing because no one visits it, they just visit the threads of the forts of the world...
Although after the forts have been started the mother thread could probably be done away with since it wouldn't have any other use.
It would be a good solution as long as the project isn't sustained over several forts.  Although if there were sequel forts than there's a good chance that they would be started on the premise of being a sequel and not on the premise of the multi-fort world.

Of course I'm just over thinking this...
again...

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2011, 11:11:00 pm »

...combine the two... have a max # of teams, say like five. if more people want to be in they go to a list and get paired off like that, and when one fort dies the next team comes in and either reclaims and moves on.

eh? eh?

Oh look, A DF blog.

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 08:32:37 am »

Sounds like it just might work!
Of course this is still all in theory, won't know for certain until this is tried at least once.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2011, 10:40:50 pm »

anyone else got comments about this?

Oh look, A DF blog.

Aner-Dyfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 07:22:04 am »

Since there isn't any interaction ingame between the forts even on the same worldgen if they are started together, I think it would be more interesting however to have all the forts at the same location. That way the differences can be monitored directly: see what each group of players does with the fort.

It may not make for such a good narrative though, which is always a nice bonus!

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 03:46:43 pm »

This is a good idea for a variation... The mod sets up the world and embark... and the teams deal with it.

"pure enduro tag team fortress"?

Oh look, A DF blog.

Pages: [1] 2