Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Supreme Commander (Bay12 MP) - Hosting Times Up  (Read 4879 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Supreme Commander (Bay12 MP) - Hosting Times Up
« on: January 13, 2011, 06:48:41 pm »

I know there already is another SC thread, but its quite old and mostly talked about the release of SC2. Supreme Commander, if you didn't know, is a "grand" RTS, having a larger scope and more units under your control than whats general of the genre. Its very similar to TA (Total Annihilation), and was made by the same person if I got my facts straight. Some (or most probably on this forum) will say TA is better, but nevertheless SC is in its own right is a very good game.

So anyway, I was hoping to have some online matches of Bay12ers.

My game is now updated because of some help from Kamina. You don't need Hamachi anymore.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 06:22:26 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Supreme Commander (Bay12 MP)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 06:54:58 pm »

TA (Tactical Annihilation)

Total. Total Annihilation. Not tactical. Warglefwarglefrothatmouth.

SC is indeed a sort of spiritual successor to TA, made with the aid at least one of the original BullCavedog* team.

Anyway. Have SC, can't play it. Barely runs (multiple-second stutters, constantly, and nearly unresponsive controls, all on the lowest settings, all while jacking my CPU usage to "electrical fire" level) on this computer. Wishing best of luck getting something together, 'cause SC's always sounded pretty interesting.

*Yes, I just momentarily combined Bullfrog and Cavedog. Whoops.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 06:58:26 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 06:57:58 pm »

Generally speaking I prefer to play TA spring(specifically balanced annihilation) to SC 1 or 2. I'd recommend to anyone trying out Balanced Annihilation if you haven't already...

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 07:01:56 pm »

TA (Tactical Annihilation)

Total. Total Annihilation. Not tactical. Warglefwarglefrothatmouth.

SC is indeed a sort of spiritual successor to TA, made with the aid at least one of the original BullCavedog team.

Anyway. Have SC, can't play it. Barely runs (multiple-second stutters, constantly, and nearly unresponsive controls, all on the lowest settings, all while jacking my CPU usage to "electrical fire" level) on this computer. Wishing best of luck getting something together, 'cause SC's always sounded pretty interesting.

How did I mess that up? Eh. Fixed anyway.

Have you tried it on the 1vs1 maps? There must be someway it can work, if it at least starts up.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 07:08:31 pm »

Oh, it works, it's just entirely too high spec (or poorly coded, more likely -- I've been able to run similar minspec games :-\) for it to function worth a flip. We're talking multi-second stutters and unresponsiveness in the bloody tutorial, with everything at the lowest settings possible. Just the freaking menu locked my CPU to 100%.

Mind, that happens with most things even remotely this-millennium, but most things do that and then function relatively well. SC... didn't. As I often say, it's too pretty for me to play ::)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 07:21:41 pm »

Oh, it works, it's just entirely too high spec (or poorly coded, more likely -- I've been able to run similar minspec games :-\) for it to function worth a flip. We're talking multi-second stutters and unresponsiveness in the bloody tutorial, with everything at the lowest settings possible. Just the freaking menu locked my CPU to 100%.

Mind, that happens with most things even remotely this-millennium, but most things do that and then function relatively well. SC... didn't. As I often say, it's too pretty for me to play ::)

Hmm. Well, have you tried SC2? Its better optimized, but at a price its not as pretty. They also made experimentals not epic, which ruined the game for me, imo.

So....I was thinking this map for the game tonight. Its 10x10, so it shouldn't break anyone's computer(at least for the first 30 minutes). It would be teams, and we could go against the AI if people wanted to.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Supreme Commander (Bay12 MP) - Server/Game currently up
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 07:33:09 pm »

Server is up. Game name is Bay12. Will start in 30 minutes from this post.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 08:00:18 pm »

I would love some games, but i need to get the game again, also, expansion or no?
Since the exp makes the game a lot more fun and balanced
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 08:03:44 pm »

I would love some games, but i need to get the game again, also, expansion or no?

Expantion.

Also, I'll leave the server up for a while to see if people float in. I'll try to host another game this weekend(with an updated game, hopefully).

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 08:07:10 pm »

this the regular version of SupCom or the FA expansion?

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 08:56:27 pm »

I'll play, though I'll probably suck terribly. :P  I've always been interested in SupCom multi, but never really tried it out.

Also I've heard that a lot of the (especially late game) lag is caused by AI, so take that into consideration.
Sorian's AI makes it better, but it's still pretty CPU intensive.  Since I have it installed, if we're going to play with AI, we'd all need it, or strange things will (probably) happen.
That is, if you haven't started yet.

Never mind, I'll wait until this weekend.  I just noticed you're playing unupdated.  I'm not going to reinstall again, mostly because if I do I'll end up reinstalling SecuRom, and I just don't feel up to uninstalling that terrible program again.  I never want that thing near my hard drive ever again.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Supreme Commander (Bay12 MP) - Hosting Friday at 9 PM GMT
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 09:00:16 pm »

this the regular version of SupCom or the FA expansion?

Expantion.

Also, I'll leave the server up for a while to see if people float in. I'll try to host another game this weekend(with an updated game, hopefully).

Hm. I suppose I should have made it a bit more obvious. I own the entire series (though Steam is giving me issues....so no SC2), but I can do the original if people prefer.

I'll host tomorrow at 9 PM GMT if I get updated. I think I figured out a way to update without updating the Gas Powered MP client or whatever. Means less of a download. Still means we have to go through Hamachi, however.

"Edit" Nope, the update link lead me to "no updates available".  Also, I wanted to mention that if you update Supreme Commander, I believe it removes SecuRom, so it shouldn't be hard to remove again. So after we have our games you can simply update it and its gone again.

2007-11-09 05:52:52

Forged Alliance Patch

We have released a patch for Forged Alliance. This patch only removes Secure-Rom. It will not invalidate existing replays.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 09:13:50 pm by Orb »

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 07:15:01 am »

I seem to be allergic to updates.   :-\

I wake up in the morning to find two pop-ups and the GPG lobby gone. They say its found updates and wants to download them. Problem is, is that my internet auto disconnected....but what bothered me was that it took well over 60 mb download just to find the updates. I hoped it was the actual updates, and it likely was, but since I missunderstood the instructions and started up FA, I think I screwed it up. GPG lobby really is screwed up, nothing wrong with the game though it seems. I'll reinstall it just in case.

So yah, we'll play unupdated again today.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 11:35:10 am »

We've been playing on Forged Alliance, on version 1.5.3599 (i think) and running the phantom mod. Great gamemode, http://supremecommander.filefront.com/file/PhantomN;93338.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 03:16:35 pm »

We've been playing on Forged Alliance, on version 1.5.3599 (i think) and running the phantom mod. Great gamemode, http://supremecommander.filefront.com/file/PhantomN;93338.
That does look like fun.  Is anyone still playing?
Also, I see patches on that site.  Maybe try them, Orb?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4