Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Covert Action  (Read 6340 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Covert Action
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 04:57:11 pm »

Yeah, terminals are one of the most useful things in the buildings. When you need to find a suspect in a town, but don't know where he lives, break into somebody else's building and use their terminals to find an address.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 09:43:03 pm »

26MM ending

I'm not sure what's funnier, that only 62 people have ever watched that video, or that the last resolved case was composed entirely of bald dudes.

This is a great game. I love how you could put on the uniforms of downed enemies. Also what the heck do the terminals do?

Terminals give you part of a password. If you log onto a terminal and guess the correct password, you can search the computer's database to find information.

Say what?  I knew using the terminals gave you a password, but I never knew what it was for.  How do you log in to terminals?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 10:51:11 pm »

hacking them is easy since there only seems to be a handful of passwords and can be guessed after seeing just a couple of letters from others. My problem is knowing what to search them for.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 11:01:42 pm »

No, see, that's what I'm asking.  How do I log into them?  I didn't know they did anything except give you letters from a password.  What key do you press to access them?

And here I thought all you could do was take pictures and tape phones.  I've begun to suspect that bugging doesn't actually do anything.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 11:13:56 pm »

I believe you press enter while standing over/next to them, but am not sure.  It's in the manual or key sheet.

I'll see if I have it.

Yeah, one of my pet peeves is when people sidestep the actual question.

EDIT: Definitely not ENTER.  You can log into terminals by standing next to them and pressing F4.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2011, 01:16:30 am »

I loved this game, and still pick it up occasionally and play it.

Bugging will actually work the same as your headphones do within the room that is bugged, except there is no range limit. (I.E. You can be on the other side of the building and still see enemies in a bugged room.) They might also occasionally provide intel if you aren't noticed doing anything while you're inside the building. But I'm not entirely sure about that. I'm usually noticed or simply in there to arrest someone which is an automatic notice.

The key layout definitely wasn't the most friendly, but it did it's job. Driving required a few special keys as well. Also combat, beyond doing the basics requires a few too. Only ones that're pretty much straight forward are the decoding and the wire tapping.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2011, 01:38:11 am »

EDIT: Definitely not ENTER.  You can log into terminals by standing next to them and pressing F4.

Thanks, that's pretty useful.  Too bad you only get one use per building.

Now if I could just figure out how the driving sections work, the only hurdle in the game would be the magic, indefensible stun grenades I always get killed with.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2011, 02:16:32 am »

Thanks, that's pretty useful.  Too bad you only get one use per building.

Now if I could just figure out how the driving sections work, the only hurdle in the game would be the magic, indefensible stun grenades I always get killed with.
F10 or F11 allows you to plant traps with them. Gas grenades work wonders (especially if you find or equip a mask), especially if you gas 2-3 rooms at the same time while you're being pursuit. white nades are flash bombs, they can disorient everyone for a moment (teamed with a gas room, KOs them), red bombs are the real nades that take out in a small area, and green = gas. F6 through F8 (or is it F7 and F8) determine how far you toss the nade, and F5 or F9 switches the type of nade.

Suggestions for raids: Uzi, Safecracker, Motion Tracker, Camera. You can get nades from agents, and you might get lucky with safes and get a gas mask from them. If nabbing a target, and not info (primarily MMs, seeing as bodyguards swarm the place), I would advise the gas nades, gas mask, motion sensor, and uzi.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 02:18:32 am by Itnetlolor »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2011, 03:59:06 am »

I'm perfectly aware of storming strategies.  Gas grenades are some of my favorite things.  Although I usually just use the basic pistol and pack the gas mask, just in case.  While the uzi is supposed to be more effective, I honestly don't see much of a difference, since they run out of shots at the same speed.

The problem is, getting hit by stun grenades.  True to form, you're left helpless.  Totally helpless.  And sometimes, there's just no avoiding it.  I've botched up more cases because of getting shot up after stunning and being held prisoner than I have for any other reason.  I'd go so far as to say it's the one and only reason.

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 04:19:12 am »

This game!  >:(

I once broke into a random place in Washington, and found the mastermind!
Unfortunately, what I found was that his RANK was mastermind, role was still unknown.
So I had to break-in again to find out...

that his role was...

NOT INVOLVED!

ARGH!

and after that my game went buggy.

I broke into the STASSI in MADRID, only to find a dude, who had a random name, had ALL of the ROLES at the same time.
When captured, he would admit to ALL crimes there where.
"We know you involment in this case, you are the (lists all the ROLES)
The boss would congratulate me, and I would stand outside the CIAs office... IN MOSKA!

Broke into the KGBs office in MOSKA, left without doing anything, and I was left standing outside The JAMAICAN gangs hidout in LONDON!
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 04:45:25 am »

any remake?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 09:55:05 am »

This game!  >:(

I once broke into a random place in Washington, and found the mastermind!
Unfortunately, what I found was that his RANK was mastermind, role was still unknown.
So I had to break-in again to find out...

that his role was...

NOT INVOLVED!

ARGH!

"Sorry Mr. President."   8)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 06:18:41 pm »

I just found out something that could easily be abused. The game randomly determines the alliances and associates of all Organizations within the game. Usually, the CIA, Mossad, and MI6 are connected together in various ways, but sometimes, you get things like this...

If you are an alliance or an associate with someone, you get their Organization profile, allowing you to know their alliances or associates, and you know all their safehouses and all the safehouses of their allies and associates. Most of the time, the CIA, Mossad, and MI6 work together, so you only know the safehouses of Mossad and MI6, but if the game randomly gives you an alliance or an associate, you should clearly take advantage of it. I actually wonder of just reloading the game over and over just in the hopes of getting this again. 

However, this may be tied to difficulty level. I have gotten all this while playing in Local Disturbance, the lowest difficulty, so it could be then that the game may give mercy on you by giving these alliances out. I'll test this out on Global Crisis and see if this appears also over there.

EDIT: It appears it does not, but I admit, I have only done a few tests.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 06:57:42 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 06:29:29 pm »

I need to go play this game again...
Pages: 1 [2]