Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Crowning moments of awesome while playing a game.  (Read 7769 times)

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Crowning moments of awesome while playing a game.
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 12:08:58 am »

This is about "crowning moments" not the last cool thing you did..the greatest thing you did in any game, not just in the game du jour
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2011, 12:17:34 am »

Hmmm, the only truly awesome one I can remember off the top of my head was the time I played toribash against this guy with a 10 win streak or so, don't remember the mod, think it was judo. So we both did our start moves with ended up sending both of us into the air. He ripped one of my arms off, and I kept twisting myself to avoid being DQ's by touching the floor. So anyway I ended up doing an awesome move with my severed arm and his head came off, though it also caused my severed arm's shoulder to come off. The shoulder was going to touch the ground before the head did, but it was close enough to my hand so I let the guy go, grabbed the head and shoved it into the floor a few frames before my shoulder did. It was pure awesome.

Makes me miss my toribashing days.

Alternatively, taking out a whole team towerdiving into me, while using mundo, with less then half my health. Olaf dived in and got an exhaust to the face, so the turret made him go poof. Sivir got cut down using Sadism and ashe was chased down with ghost and got hit pretty hard, almost excaped with flash but I hit a cleaver on her.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 12:22:07 am by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2011, 10:46:35 am »

EDIT:
Okay, does successfully flying a dodo in GTA3 around Liberty City's 3 islands, and doing laps around them count? While choppers are chasing you?
I think just flying the Dodo is enough.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2011, 01:34:38 pm »

Not exactly crowning, but awesome enough to me.

I headshot a smoker from far away with the Assault Rifle, last bullet in my clip, just as the tongue grabbed one of the other survivors...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 07:40:35 pm »

Just got one on demon souls. Invaded stonefang as a black phantom, the guy there was in full brushwood armor. He had magic, which I did not, and abused it. He also had a bow, which he used often whenever he had a distance.

I was in full melee and I only have miracles on my soul level 30 temple knight. I was using my +4 halberd and my +4 uchigatana + knight's shield. The fight lasted about 10 minutes due to him wearing brushwood but not being able to do any decent damage.

He almost killed me once, but died after 2 backstabs from my halberd, it was glorious.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 10:39:42 pm »

The thing I really loved about Monster Hunter (original for PS2) was that beating a mission was one of these on a regular basis.
I used solely Swords and Shields, which have great mobility and versitility but the lowest attack power of any melee weapons in the game. As a result, I commonly came within seconds of the 50 minute time limit for the quests.

After attacking continuously, desperately staying alive by dodging around/between the wyvern's feet, chasing it between areas and setting up traps and bombs to lure it into for 49 minutes, there's nothing at all like that last minute where you're just trying with all your might to make any of that count for anything. The stakes are enormous.

Bringing down Monoblos offline with literally 15 seconds to spare and carving a Monoblos Heart on the very first try was one of my most memorable CMoAs.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 10:54:41 pm »

So I was playing End War against my friend, right...

I was playing as the Russians and my back was against the wall basically, with him closing in with many riflemen, Transports and Tanks. All I had were some Expert Riflemen and about 2 Expert Engineers. I ordered them all to get behind a concrete barrier at the Spawn Point in the Kennedy Space Center. Wave after wave of Tanks, going down from the combined Rocket Fire. I literally saw a trooper get hit directly by a tank round and get back up to fire again. It was going fine...

Until he got desperate. He attacked with Artillery, but they were properly erased by a blind airstrike, and he finally got desperate when he charged with his Command Vehicle and a Kinetic Strike. My men got the Vehicles shields down, the Riflemen got evacuated and a Kinetic Strike closed in. Right when the Kinetic Strike hit, my troopers won the battle, with a nice image of a copter evacuating the riflemen.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 04:14:14 am »

I was playing Monopoly with my girlfriend and we used the "Free Parking" rule where whoever lands on it gets the money in the middle of the board. Payments caused by the two Tax spaces or a card are put in the middle instead of to the bank. She also convinced me that we should start the Free Parking kitty with a $500 bill every time so it's never empty.

She landed on Free Parking six times before we got to the point where we were negotiating for property trades and such. It was ridiculous. So I said, okay, as part of this deal we were doing, you have to leave the money there if you land on Free Parking next time. She agreed, and proceeded to land on it a couple turns later. And then, our deal satisfied, landed on it again one more time before the game ended.

The end! No moral.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 01:04:15 pm »

he end! No moral.

The moral: If your girlfriend picks the game, double-check that she didn't also pick loaded dice.  ;)

Edit to avoid double-post: Just had an amazing moment myself. Playing DoW II, campaign. Took on an optional mission to handle a Hive Tyrant. The mission intelligence commented on "enemy uses superior forces", a fact I stupidly ignored. I thought this'd be an easy mission.  ::)

So, we land on the planet, and spot a pair of Warriors in the ruins to the south. My Dreadnought makes an opening through the wall, and just as he's opening fire, a Carnifex approaches. Annoying, but no unexpected - the bloody things are practically bosses, but that's what the Assault Cannon is for, right? Well, except the Dreadnought's already a little busy. So fine, I tell Tarkus to taunt, and start running away, hoping to play ring-around-the-rosie with a Carnifex.

Which would've worked fine, except in the process Tarkus found a second Carnifex.  :o

So, now I've got one half-health boss, one full-health boss, several very powerful Warriors, and a horde of lesser beasts, ripping me to shreds not 10 steps from the drop pod. Several stimulant kits, a couple of manual revives, two of my three Tarantula turrets, and at least 1 invulerability later, we're alive, but with almost all our resources used up. Damn. Okay, fine - let's see if we can finish this.

We start moving towards the Tyrant's position. Midway along, we find a bunch of Tyrranids (gee, what a surprise!). There's a building nearby, and since most of the beasts are melee, I order Avitus into the structure. That was a mistake - he's promptly focus-fired by a couple of Warriors. So, I order him to leave the building - and just as he does so, he dies. Unfortunately, he died just as he was leaving, which means that his body fell smack dab in the centre of the structure, with no way to reach him to revive him. And, of course, he's the one with the Stimulant Kits, so there's no way to revive him remotely. I now have only 3 squads, no medkits. At about this point, I say, "Screw it, I've got a 0% chance of winning, so begin 'Operation Deal As Much Damage As We Can'". Off we go to the Hive Tyrant, fully expecting to die horribly.

So, we reach the beast himself. He opens the battle with an easily-dodged ranged attack. I think, "Well, this isn't so bad!" When his health reaches about 2/3rds remaining, he switches tactics to a shockwave attack instead... and summons reinforcements. Tarkus is caught out of position, so I order him to retreat. Then the Tyrant attacks the Dreadnought while he's trying to heal (why did I tell him to repair mid-battle, again?), and incapacitates him. I note on my HUD that Tarkus has recovered from his retreat and has got his squad back, so I order him to return to the battlefield, and continue to micro my leader. A minute later, Tarkus arrives... and he's brought another blasted Carnifex with him. Geez, Tarkus can't go anywhere without finding those things. I now have to deal with a full-health Carnifex and a half-health boss, I only have 3 squads, and the only one with a competent anti-Carnifex weapon is currently relaxing in the scrapheap.  ::)

Through some incredible circle-strafing, I successfully revive the Dreadnought (dodging both shockwave AoE attacks from the boss and the deadly melee of the Carnifex), and he almost kills the beast when he goes down again. Tarkus is forced to retreat, and my squad leader (who is armed with a powerful-yet-currently-useless melee weapon) is about to be rushed by a horde of extra enemies that joined into the fray. And so, my Commander calls in an artillery strike on his own position and retreats at the last second, finishing off the Carnifex along with several melee squads.

After that, it was just a matter of circling around the boss until I could cut him down. Took me 33 minutes, and not a single squad remained standing the whole time... but wow. I was sure I was screwed from the very beginning. I'm still not entirely certain how I beat that mission.  :D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 03:59:30 pm by Thexor »

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 04:41:37 pm »

Because you are SPESS MEHRENS.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 09:44:18 pm »

I just had a minor one when I set up a sort of artillery barrage in Cortex Command. I had one guy crouched with a revolver cannon and one guy standing above him with another cannon. One would fire all six shots, and while they were reloading, the other would step in. By the time one had fired all six shots, the other would always be fully loaded and ready to shoot.

It was going great, but it took so long that I commanded one of the robots to pick up my emergency pistol and destroy my brain, sort of like some future hara-kiri. The losses at the end of the game?

I lost 6 guys. The computer lost 1049.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 10:53:34 pm »

One that comes to my head was a game of Team Fortress 2, back when it first came out - So no special weapons and all that.

I had been trying the Spy class for the first time, and it was going fine.  It was a map where we had to defend our base while taking theirs.  These were also the days when stalemates were common, so while I was trying to give people free spinal exams, time ran out.

Sudden Death!

Well, dang.  I had already spawned, so I was with a class I was unfamiliar with and wouldn't be able to spawn if I were killed.

So I manage to disguise myself and hide near our spawn point, and then I do a shoulder check and I'm the last on alive on my team.  Dang.  I manage to cleverly stick myself in the middle of a Heavy, a Pyro, and an engineer while they were arriving to capture our point.  I carefully maintain my distance while keeping up, pretending to look around suspiciously for the last member of the Blue Team.  While everyone's capturing the point, I positioned myself in the middle of all of them and slowly pulled out my knife...

Three back stabs later, I'd won the round.  They hadn't even known what hit 'em.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, 11:02:12 pm »

This was pure and utter dumb luck to be completely honest and I'm sure I can try it again a million times and not get the same results, the RNG was just really really really nice to me.
I was playing DAO as a rogue, I was pumping as much dexterity as I could into my character and getting every skill possible that could help me avoid hits if I am infact attacked. I decide, once I'm near the end of the game, to take on the big ass high-dragon for the hell of it. I take morrigan as a damage mage, allister as my tank, and wynne as a healer. I manage to take about a forth of it's health before out of bloody nowhere it kills all three of my companions really freakin fast. So now I'm left alone against this thing, with about 3/4 of it's health left, and no allies to help me. I figure I'm doomed but I might as well fight as long as I can. Somehow it only manages to hit me a few times for the rest of the fight, which is easily cleared up with healing potions, and I actuilly manage to kill the thing.
A rogue,meant for backstabs even not the really powerful archer rogue, took down the high dragon with about 3/4 of it's health left by himself, that is most definately my CMOA.     Unless you count that one D&D game I've mentioned on here before, with my super-bluff powered sorceror.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2011, 11:16:20 pm »

MOO, I'm the Darloks on a large, six player map, average difficulty.

The game started well enough, with me having 3 ultra rich terran planets right next to me. Those were the ONLY planets  was able to settle for most of the game, since I had forgotten to set the galaxy size to medium.

Anyways, we wound up with three general factions in the galaxy:
My Darlock empire
The Silicoid Empire (At war with me)
The Human/Psilon/Bulrathi/Klackon alliance (At war with the silicoids and me)

Whilst this seems lopsided, the Silicoids at this point controlled roughly half the galaxy, and they were between me and the alliance. The war between me and the Silicoids consisted of both of us trying to out-spy and oue espionage one another, so I was on top and carefully maintaining the stalemate between the alliance and the Sils for as long as possible with revolutions and sabotage in key areas. Unfortunately, the alliance started to get the upper hand and finally closed to within striking distance of my outermost colony, Various Nonsense (yes, I did name all my colonies after the various B12 boards, with Bay12 being our homeworld). I rush my gaggle of numerous, but outdated fighters and frigates to the system hellbent on protecting the artifacts it contained (which gave me some sort of computer when I discovered them)

At this point, I was also desperately trying to destroy the alliance by framing the members when I stole tech. To my great frustration it wasn't working at all. I quickly made peace with the Silicoids who used the peace to relocate their ships to their former inner, now outer, colonies to counter the alliance's offensive. This worked for about ten turns, all of which I spent stealing tech and framing other alliance members. Unfortunately, none of it worked and the Silicoids were eventually destroyed, Taking a good chunk of the Alliance navy with their last four systems.

Finally, out of sheer desperation, I asked the psilons to attack the Humans, and I asked the Bulrathi to attack the Klackons.

They did. with great enthusiasm.

The Human fleet preparing to invade VN pulled back to defend their colonies and I used what breathing room I had acquired to start constructing a fleet that was actually worth a damn.

Fast forward toughly 20 turns, and I now control the remains of the Silicoid inner colonies, the Human outer colonies, and all of the former Klackon empire with enough allies who voted for me to become the ruler of the Universe after I killed the guardian with a zerg rush of roughly 1,000 fighters.

Damn, but that game made me feel Machiavellian.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4