Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crazy farmer is chasing grizzly bear  (Read 493 times)

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crazy farmer is chasing grizzly bear
« on: January 09, 2011, 02:25:17 pm »

Hi guys. I got a farmer wich was going to eat. It seems like the bear stole the food from him or from the stockpile, and now the farmer is chasing the bear until he can get the food. For being more realistic, until he dies. I've forbided the food, and I got 'Urist McFarmer cancels eat: Job item lost or destroyed.', but even after the annoucement, he keeps chasing the bear. It seems like him is faster than the bear, which will result in Fun. And him is my better Grower, I dont want to lose him.

...Help?  :D

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy farmer is chasing grizzly bear
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 02:36:01 pm »

try any or all of the following:
1) burrow him
2) put in into military and station him
3) go to 'u'nit list and try to remove his job
4) build a line of traps and hope that the bear will be caught.
5) just wait till the damn bear escape the embark.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 02:44:00 pm »

try any or all of the following:
1) burrow him
2) put in into military and station him
3) go to 'u'nit list and try to remove his job
4) build a line of traps and hope that the bear will be caught.
5) just wait till the damn bear escape the embark.
I'm a few nooby to know how burrows works D:

Javarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 02:54:22 pm »

I thought they worked by makeing your dwarf stay in them.
“When you cut pieces out of the truth to avoid looking like a fool you end up looking like a moron instead.”
― Robin Hobb, Assassin's Apprentice

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 02:55:23 pm »

Dwarven farmland is so ridiculously fertile that a grower is really one of the more expendable professions.  Even with a relatively low-level farmer, you only really need 1 tile of farmland for each dwarf in your fort.  Even less if you import food or have a meat or dairy industry.

That said, losing a dwarf is usually something you want to avoid, but with my knowledge of dwarven psychology, I think that if he wants to pick a fight with that bear, there's nothing you can do.  Prepare either a coffin or a butcher's shop, depending on how good of a brain-puncher your dwarf is.

If your fortress is already established, I recommend watching the mayhem for its entertainment value.  If he's one of your original 7 though, then 'w' for the burrows menu, 'enter' to define a burrows, 'enter' again to start making a rectangle, which you should do somewhere inside your fort, and then go back a menu and 'c' to add a citizen to the burrow.

Alternately, for more general use once you've crudely designated a burrow, go to your (m)ilitary screen, (a)lerts, 'c' to add an alert, and then assign your burrows to be linked to this alert.  'Enter' can be used to sset this as your "civilian alert" which will mean that ALL civilians will cancel whatever they're doing outside the confines of safety and head back to this burrow.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."