Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cause of Colony Collapse Disorder found-Apparently they knew about it!  (Read 7143 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Cause of Colony Collapse Disorder found-Apparently they knew about it!
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 06:37:12 am »

While this pisses me off, I have to think:

Are there any major leaks on Aspartame? It seems related in that it'll make people billions at the cost of the environment (in aspartame's case, humans).
No correlation between aspartame and health problems was proven.
In fact, didn't I recently see a study that looked for a connection and didn't find any?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 07:10:22 pm »

It's being used in more places than just the US; Clothiandin and other neonictinoids have been in use since the turn of the century - around the same time Colony Collapse Disorder appeared to boot. The evidence is pretty damning and if Bayer didn't know for a fact that it was the cause, why do they so fervently avoid any form of proper, independent testing?
Risk management. Even if they know there is no effect, they are the big bad company killing the poor bees. A few poor-conducted studies show your product has negative effects on anything and your reputation is blown, and don't expect people to believe your research in such a case. Not that I am saying that that is the case here though, since it was their own report that got leaked...

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 07:35:17 pm »

I know this might just be me grasping at tenuous straws, but does anyone think that the pesticides that may be killing the bees have anything to do with the dead fish? If runoff makes the pesticide get into the water, could that affect fish habitats?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 01:51:06 pm »

Wait wait wait, wasn't Bayer the company responsible for the Bhopal incident?

EDIT: Nope, my mistake, that was Union Carbide... Never mind.

EDIT2: Now I remember, it wasn't the Bhopal incident, Bayer was one of the big Nazi chemical companies that developed the Auschwitz gas chambers... Also it was at least partially responsible for heroin. But that's all smearage, it's not really any shadier than most other chemical companies.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 02:11:49 pm by Pnx »

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 07:47:47 pm »

IBM made automatic carbines in World War II. Your computer is stained with the blood of innocents.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 07:49:32 pm »

Ford made tanks for the war, how come i can't buy a tank >:C

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 08:57:18 pm »

You can, actually. I believe some of them are even cheaper than run of the mill SUVs. They're just extremely fuel-inefficient, not road-legal (though there are road-legal armored vehicles, also purchasable), and have had all their weaponry removed for obvious reasons.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 09:23:49 pm »

Ford... Ford's a rather famous example, but not for the tanks...

But like I said that wasn't a point to really go against them... I was just thinking, if they were responsible for Bhopal and this... But yeah, I mixed up "the yes men fix the world" with something from a documentary I watched a few days ago.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2011, 12:37:19 am »

IBM made automatic carbines in World War II. Your computer is stained with the blood of innocents.

Guns are business machines?

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 12:41:26 am »

For serious business, yes.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2011, 08:47:28 am »

For serious business, yes.
Mechanical computers. IBM was in the business of making really fancy little mechanical parts that had to work flawlessly in hundreds of times per minute. Punch-card computing and whatnot. They were also calculating up all the range tables for artillery and bombsights.

Anyhow this is interesting. I should ask my father about this chemical and if he sells any of it. Quite possibly its an easily replaced pesticide so nobody has to actually choose between evil industrial corn and cuddly little honey bees, which is great, because frankly I have no idea what post-apocalyptic economic horror a cornless midwest would look like. And frankly, you do NOT want to know how much sugar would cost if HFCS were no longer on the market. Sweet Jesus you'd sooner put gold dust on your breakfast cereal if that happened.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2011, 09:18:31 am »

...I have no idea what post-apocalyptic economic horror a cornless midwest would look like. And frankly, you do NOT want to know how much sugar would cost if HFCS were no longer on the market. Sweet Jesus you'd sooner put gold dust on your breakfast cereal if that happened.

While a Road Warrior descent into chaos because all the corn dried up would be worth the watch, it begs the question.  Corn farming wasn't exactly on the decline before they started using this new bee-killing pesticide, so why don't they just go back to whatever they were doing before.  Corn syrup hasn't exactly gotten cheaper in the past few years, so it can't translate into that great an impact on the farming economics over some previous chemical.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 09:29:02 am »

And frankly, you do NOT want to know how much sugar would cost if HFCS were no longer on the market.
I'm no expert on the matter, but doesn't mass killing bees also put the price of sugar up insanely as well?
As well as the fact, you're basically killing off the one thing that procreates your crop.

No bees? No corn. Or wheat.
I can't say that looks good, economically.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 09:33:16 am »

Isn't Colony Collapse a global problem? This poison might make it worse for the bees but beehives are collapsing around the world and i dont think they sell clothianidin anywere but the US. I doubt that there is only one thing killing the bees, there probably is several things that are harming them.

Colony Collapse dissorder is a bit of a misnoma as a term. It has been used to describe pretty much anytime a bee colony dies, either fast or slow, when the owner or observer isnt quite sure of the cause. Globally bee populations are 'believed' (not sure what data this is based on) declining, but this does not mean theres one sinister global factor, more probably theres loads of more localised factors. I will have to read the 1st post article and link in more detail, but it would appear that this a local example.

Bees are a big deal because of their ecological role in plant fertilisation and genetic distribution.

also most importantly Hugo Bosch designed the german WW2 parade uniforms, which is why they look so damn good in the grey
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.
Pages: 1 [2] 3