Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: The Engineer Asylum [Community Engineering Game]  (Read 9727 times)

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Engineer Asylum [Community Engineering Game]
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2011, 02:26:50 pm »

Oh and Crocatowa, you said something about designs of a fit pit...

yea, im working on drawing it out
The only dye dwarfs should use is MAGMA. And the only thing dwarfs should dye is ELVES.

ottottott

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2011, 02:31:09 pm »

Fun stuff:
1.We locked to expedition leader on the roof of the apartments and she got pretty hungry and thirsty.
2. A groundhog dodged into the volcano.

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2011, 02:35:32 pm »

Awesome! Ill upload a picture of my fightpit design sometime tonight

Okay, we there are 4 levers,

the top left one controls the bottom bridge that works as the exit. the bridge is to raise in towards the fight pit when the pit is in use
the top right lever controls the other bridge which is also to raise in towards the fight pit
middle right lever releases the gobbos/criminals that we stick in the cages on the left side
bottom right lever releases the animals or opposing force.

Once an entire faction is defeated, lower the exit bridge to allow the creatures out and into the cage traps for reuse.

There is also a spectator area!

the bridges ARE 2 units wide, i just wanted to show that the channel should still be under them. this whole thing make sense? For bonus points make it all on a huge microcline vein or something so that the blue will contrast the red. Smooth and engrave the pit itself and engrave everywhere else
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 03:41:37 pm by Crocatowa »
The only dye dwarfs should use is MAGMA. And the only thing dwarfs should dye is ELVES.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2011, 04:06:00 pm »

Well it's good some info is confirmed...
Now we just need to know how quickly does a dwarf pull a lever and how fast water flows. Maybe we should play it safe and use floodgates? Why do we have the 2nd floor down there anyways? I remember that it would fall through the upper floor but how are we going to dig it out if we have no access to it? If we do then that would leave it vulnerable to building destroyers and flying creatures. So might as well only have 1 floor. I doubt we will have any practical use for it anyways.

Yes, use floodgates. They'll prevent jams. I'll add them to the plan.

The purpose of the otherwise empty second level is that the floor will prevent creatures from coming up through it, but not block the cave-in from killing the stuff below it. Also, it allows the cave-in to target the entire hallway - if the second level wasn't there, the hallway would need to be three tiles wide or the obsidian wouldn't fall.

Fun stuff:
1.We locked to expedition leader on the roof of the apartments and she got pretty hungry and thirsty.
2. A groundhog dodged into the volcano.

>:(

EDIT: Basically, the "proper" way to run it is:

Close floodgates
Activate pumps
Read "crushed under the collapsing ceiling" messages
Deactivate pumps (You'll probably be able to just queue the lever to be pulled twice)
Open floodgates to reload
Dig out tunnel, leaving obsidian floor above intact.

EDIT2: I'll test it out and post a video on the DFMA.

EDIT3: I'll upload the video in a while.
EDIT4: AARGH, SDL. Brb, downloading legacy and re-recording.

EDIT5: http://mkv25.net/dfma/movie-2299-cave-inguntest

It works... mostly. For some reason, the third tile from the top didn't obsidianize, although the water and magma were consumed. This also happened on the first test, except with the second tile. I don't know why. It's okay though - anything that could exploit that flaw would have to survive the full cave-in dusting action.The structure was minimalistic - I didn't bother with pumping the liquids into the chambers (thank you dfliquids) and the floodgates were just for show. The doors were simply for construction access, and should be replaced with walls in the final assembly.

EDIT6: Didn't even notice this:
Oh and where can I drain the magma from the volcano to make the glass entry? I can't alter the edges of the map so... Yeah... Wait... I could just drain some into the yin-yang sing but that still leaves a bunch... Any ideas?

Atom smasher.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 05:23:27 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2011, 05:20:20 pm »

I'll take the cook if he's open, as...

Name: Expendable Urist
Profession: Machine Tester
Job: Axedwarf/Mechanic

Project: Build a drop chute in the sky, landing cushioned by a puppy at the bottom, then personally test it.
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2011, 05:30:00 pm »

Project: Build a drop chute in the sky, landing cushioned by a puppy at the bottom, then personally test it.

How high do you want it? I sense a fun project by building it several layers high, each set of layers with a different color stone till we run out of colors. and to defy physics, we should have the lightest stone at the bottom and highest on the top!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2011, 05:51:34 pm »

No, I will not let you go down to Hell to pick up some slade for the top. And I doubt anyone will want to use adamantine for the bottom, unless there was a dining hall with the chute in the middle.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2011, 06:04:25 pm »

No, I will not let you go down to Hell to pick up some slade for the top. And I doubt anyone will want to use adamantine for the bottom, unless there was a dining hall with the chute in the middle.

Okay, you know you could have just been like: "be reasonable and leave the slade and adamantine alone" instead of crushing my already damaged hopes and dreams. ;p

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2011, 06:06:29 pm »

Well, the slade would be difficult to impossible anyway, and the adamantine could be worked into the value of a room while being used for this.

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2011, 06:09:55 pm »

Well, the slade would be difficult to impossible anyway, and the adamantine could be worked into the value of a room while being used for this.

Exactly. But that leaves like... EVERY OTHER TYPES OF STONE :D

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2011, 06:18:28 pm »

And metal. In fact, we would need to use metal for some colors, such as [3:0], which is unique to lay pewter.

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2011, 06:53:09 pm »

Does this mean that you want to do this?

@!!Crundle!! your idea was awesome

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2011, 07:03:32 pm »

Forgot to mention I'd like an above ground apartment. Preferably a few stories above ground zero level.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2011, 07:20:19 pm »

About your power demand, you could use this:

Aquifer is below, pumps are opposite oriented and not connected to network. To launch it tell dwarves to operate pumps, after few steps you can cancel pumping. Aquifer will yield power for some amount of time after that even without flowing water. Single waterwheel setup has been stopping within a week, this one is running for several months (I haven't seen it stop yet in my fort).
In case you don't have river this probably is second most fps friendly method after windmill.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Crocatowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2011, 10:33:37 pm »

Never thought of that design. Gotta give that a go
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13