Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 283

Author Topic: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)  (Read 434507 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)
« Reply #3825 on: October 18, 2011, 01:21:51 am »

Recursive fanfiction?

If the MLP-verse had television, you could do a show-within-a-show called something like "Star Trot" about the magical starship Equesterprise (eh, I suck at these names), whose crew happens upon a strange planet of upright-walking primates who consider Equestria nothing but fiction.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: October 18, 2011, 01:31:47 am »

Eventually it will turn out to be written by Derpy who is really a literary genius.
We have to go derper.

Now I fel so bad about writing this whole post just to male a lame deeper joke.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: October 18, 2011, 02:02:09 am »

Well, originally I was writing it for 40k-Hogwarts purge type fanfiction. I might even have the original start to it...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's it. The 'story' was written as a diary-style series of entries, and was being 'analysed' by the reader in the position of the Inquisitor the letter is addressed to. However, it would turn out that it was a fictional story being read, and that the whole thing was going to be written by someone else. Bleugh.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: October 18, 2011, 02:28:48 am »

Think about it: it was always cute watching Twilight overreact about every little detail trying to make Celestia happy, despite her being completely benign and gentle.

Well not quite, she's always had this faint aura of evil, IMO. I mean, she banished her own sister to the moon for a thousand years! C'mon! If I had a teacher who'd done such a thing, I'd be trying really really hard to please her too.

But now, Celestia's demonstrated that she can and will at any time magically appear in a ball of light over Twilight's head and start talking about punishment.

Well to be quite fair, she didn't. It was Twi and the rest of the mane six who started with the punishment talk.

That's not a good change.

Oh I disagree. It may be out of character and completely unintended by the writers of the show, but I do enjoy evil Celestia quite a lot. Admittedly that's probably because I'm a sick fuck and like to screw up other people's work, so finding an alternative interpretation like this allows me to go "neener neener" at the show's makers.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: October 18, 2011, 02:30:18 am »

Celestia has never been shown to be evil.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: October 18, 2011, 02:54:24 am »

I beg to differ.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: October 18, 2011, 03:05:03 am »

Sister feels unappreciated and is bringing the world to famine, wiping out all food supplies, but you know, the world will freeze first.

So you punish her appropriately.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: October 18, 2011, 03:11:51 am »

Sister feels unappreciated and is bringing the world to famine, wiping out all food supplies, but you know, the world will freeze first.

Pure conjecture. Given how in Equestria every single thing in the environment is under strict governmental control (including the changing of seasons), I'd say there's no reason to think any of that would occur.

Or you could resolve the situation peacefully, without hurting anyone, by just giving her a bit of the old attention and love. Just a thought.
But no, putting her into solitary confinement for a thousand years sounds like a much better idea overall.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: October 18, 2011, 03:16:16 am »

Pure conjecture. Given how in Equestria every single thing in the environment is under strict governmental control (including the changing of seasons), I'd say there's no reason to think any of that would occur.
Yes, and this control is being stopped. Which is why it's a danger.

Or you could resolve the situation peacefully, without hurting anyone, by just giving her a bit of the old attention and love. Just a thought.
But no, putting her into solitary confinement for a thousand years sounds like a much better idea overall.

Which appears to have been tried and failed. Just a thought.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: October 18, 2011, 03:20:21 am »

Yes, and this control is being stopped. Which is why it's a danger.

No it isn't. The only thing that's being changed is the figurehead. It's a coup, not an anarchist revolution.

Which appears to have been tried and failed. Just a thought.

And where does it say that, pray tell? The opening of the first episode says Celestia tried to reason with Luna. That's not the same thing at all.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: October 18, 2011, 03:36:29 am »

Pure conjecture. Given how in Equestria every single thing in the environment
is under strict governmental control there's no reason to think any of that would occur.

Season 1 episode 1, 45 seconds:
Narrator: "The younger sister refused to lower the moon to make way for the dawn."

Season 1 episode 1, 1 minute:
Narrator: "She vowed that she would shroud the land in eternal night

Season 1 episode 1, 21 minutes 26 seconds:
Nightmare Moon: "Remember this day little ponies, for it was your last. From this moment forth, the night...will last...FOREVER!!!"

Trivia question: what happens to crops when they get no sunlight forever?

Or you could resolve the situation peacefully, without hurting anyone,
by just giving her a bit of the old attention and love.

Well, if you need someone to help carry out that plan to deliver bucket-loads of love and snuggles to Luna, I volunteer.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: October 18, 2011, 03:41:58 am »

Quote authors are the wrong way around.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: October 18, 2011, 03:44:34 am »

Apparently, as long as she was Nightmare Moon, there was no way to properly communicate with her. Celestia resorted to the sheer power of the Elements of Harmony and did the only thing she (probably, at the time) thought she could do. Remember, she was a thousand years younger at that time, and whatever your maximum lifespan, that is a lot of time. She was probably as small then as Luna is now, perhaps only slightly older.

And yes, eternal night is about as bad as can be for every nonmagical pony in the land. Magically gifted unicorns might be able to create food, but all crops will eventually die and the ecosystems at large will be completely ruined. Society as it is will crumble.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: October 18, 2011, 04:00:53 am »

And as for Discord...

Only his immediate effects are noticed, but for example: he takes away people's free will, taking from some their very mind.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: October 18, 2011, 04:06:00 am »

Apparently, as long as she was Nightmare Moon, there was no way to properly communicate with her.

Again, based on what? It doesn't say that anywhere. The only thing it says is that Luna refused to listen because of "the bitterness in her heart". The problem with that is of course that this information comes from a book, which comes from Celestia's library. Not the most unbiased of sources, you have to admit.

And yes, eternal night is about as bad as can be for every nonmagical pony in the land. Magically gifted unicorns might be able to create food, but all crops will eventually die and the ecosystems at large will be completely ruined. Society as it is will crumble.

Again, that is based on the assumption that Equestria is governed by the same laws of physics as our world, but it's been shown numerous times that it isn't. The only thing that works the same as our world is the Everfree Forest, and most ponies would probably be quite glad to get rid of that.
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 283