Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 283

Author Topic: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)  (Read 435404 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)
« Reply #2925 on: September 27, 2011, 10:10:20 pm »

The lack of Pony Space and For Want of a Dawn updates is trying my patience...

Also, to anyone who has read the "related stories" to For Want of a Dawn, which are:
- My Little Muffin
- Clash of the Heavenly Titans
- The Reluctant Reunion of the Redoubtable Rabble-Rouser
What is the relation between these 3 and Sunset/For Want of a Dawn, anyway? I've not the time to read those three right now.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: September 27, 2011, 11:39:26 pm »

Reading all this fanfic is a bit depressing now, because of the constant reminders of Sturgeon's Revelation.  :-\

Also, read spiderses. It was absolutely beautiful.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: September 28, 2011, 12:22:35 am »

Weird revelation of the day:

I just realized my favorite movie and my favorite TV show both have the exact same message. The TV show is obviously ponies. The movie?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd suggest a crossover, but this has been crossed over more than ponies, and for like 65 years.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #2928 on: September 28, 2011, 02:48:52 am »

That quote.. I should have thought about that a few years ago, it could have helped to lift my spirits.
I need to watch that movie, I should have watched it back then, but its better late than never.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 02:54:05 am by Johuotar »
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: September 28, 2011, 02:53:43 am »

What movie is it, anyway?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #2930 on: September 28, 2011, 02:56:32 am »

It's a wonderful life, I just googled that phrase to find out.

An angel helps a compassionate but despairingly frustrated businessman by showing what life would have been like if he never existed.

Sounds like exactly what I should when I feel down.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: September 28, 2011, 08:29:08 am »

Actually, if done well, a IaWL/FiM crossover could be absolutely amazing, like some sort of massive nuclear weapon of heartwarming and cuteness that would give everyone in a two hundred kilometer radius diabetes.  :D

3. Run Resize Enable

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: September 28, 2011, 08:34:48 am »

Chapter 5 of For Want of a Dawn is out.

But school... Gah....

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: September 28, 2011, 09:44:10 am »

Sturgeon's Revelation. 

I get a much better ratio than 10% by reading only stories with 5 or 6 stars. Here is a convenient list. Also, searches for particular characters tend to give better than 50/50 good/bad results. Even if a story is not very clever, having focus on characters you definitely like often makes it a better read.

For some reason it seems like a lot of EQD fanfics are grimdark. I don't understand why. Sure...I read Cupcakes because it's notorious, but my interest in ponies isn't motivated by a desire for scary, mean unpleasantness. I much prefer stories about Pinkie Pie being Pinkie Pie and Luna being lovable.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: September 28, 2011, 10:04:36 am »

Damn, I get so excited every time I see that picture of Calamity on EqD. I think Fallout: Equestria has updated, when it in fact is Fallout: Equestria: Project Horizons (watch out for the creeping colon cancer), which I don't read.

I want that episode 40 of F:E so badly.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #2935 on: September 28, 2011, 10:32:26 am »

For some reason it seems like a lot of EQD fanfics are grimdark. I don't understand why. Sure...I read Cupcakes because it's notorious, but my interest in ponies isn't motivated by a desire for scary, mean unpleasantness. I much prefer stories about Pinkie Pie being Pinkie Pie and Luna being lovable.

Its because of the difficulty of creating conflict to the story and its also easy way to make reader experience emotion.
I think.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: September 28, 2011, 10:55:20 am »

That quote.. I should have thought about that a few years ago, it could have helped to lift my spirits.
I need to watch that movie, I should have watched it back then, but its better late than never.
It's an incredible film. Nothing really compares to the original, despite being mercilessly copied and remade.

Anywho there's probably a lot of grimdark for sake of contrast. Easiest way to make a ripple is put the characters in a completely different situation than usual.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: September 28, 2011, 11:18:40 am »

It's an incredible film. Nothing really compares to the original, despite being mercilessly copied and remade.

Anywho there's probably a lot of grimdark for sake of contrast. Easiest way to make a ripple is put the characters in a completely different situation than usual.

Remarkably enough, I agree wholeheartedly with both of those unrelated statements. But yeah, most of the motivation for writing grimdark fics seems to be rooted in the lighthearted nature of the show, in the same way that there are slice of life fics for absolutely horrific grimdark 'verses.

Sturgeon's Revelation. 

I get a much better ratio than 10% by reading only stories with 5 or 6 stars. Here is a convenient list. Also, searches for particular characters tend to give better than 50/50 good/bad results. Even if a story is not very clever, having focus on characters you definitely like often makes it a better read.

Oh, I do the same thing. It's just that I occasionally run across one that is not so good, and am reminded of it. Plus the fact that I'm a nitpicky bastard, so little things bug me, like what I see as poor word choice. Perfect example: Fallout: Equestria. Absolutely wonderful crossover fic, and it had one moment where the author used a word in a way that bugged me. They were describing a wound as having lost more "flesh than meat", IIRC, which bugged me, as those are practically synonyms, particularly in that context, and it would have been IMO much more descriptive to say "skin" or "hide" rather than flesh, as the author was basically saying that the wound looked really bad, but wasn't that deep. (For reference, it was inside one of the buildings in the zebra town under Canterlot, the one with the deep pool of water that Steelhooves fell into IIRC.)

That sort of thing really shouldn't bug me, especially considering that I make worse mistakes than that all the time, but it does. And little things like that add up so that when I eventually run into a genuinely bad fic I overreact and get sick of the whole thing for about ten seconds and then go back to reading.

On an unrelated note, is there a canon spelling for griffin/gryphon in the FiMverse? I know it isn't griffon (a breed of dog), and I don't recall ever seeing it in text, but I wanted to get it right.

Also, yays new ask Discord'd Octavia Scratch is out!  :D

3. Run Resize Enable

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: September 28, 2011, 11:30:24 am »

I believe the correct spelling is "griffin;" I used to spell it "gryphon," but Chrome autocorrects that and other sources (such as Wikipedia) also spell it griffin.

Also, my fanfiction strategy is to keep close tabs on EqD and read whatever pops up there :p Anything that looks interesting I'll read, even if it has low ratings.
One of my greatest pet peeves, things that throw me off fanfiction entirely, is bad grammar. Minor infringements of the rules of the English language annoy me; major mistakes make reading impossible for me.
Spoiler: RANT (click to show/hide)
So, my two cents.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: September 28, 2011, 11:34:02 am »

Its not that big of a deal.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 283