Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 283

Author Topic: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)  (Read 434740 times)

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
Re: When did ponies become awesome? What else have I missed? (take 2)
« Reply #630 on: June 15, 2011, 04:14:57 am »

I don't know, I don't mind either of those episodes.

Naturally, Pinkie Keen causes a "nyurrr science n' religion" orgy, but people interpret the message all over the place, so whatever.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 15, 2011, 04:54:18 am »

I don't think the Pinkie Keen aesop is bad per se (I think it's intended as a "don't be narrow minded" aesop). It's rather badly delivered, though, which makes it seem like a science vs. religion thing. It would have been better if Twilight hadn't been made to represent "science" so clearly with her stuff in the basement.

It's kind of ironically fun that the pony closely tied to magic gets to represent science, though. Not that there's anything wrong with that in the context of the setting, but it's still kind of fun.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 15, 2011, 06:47:33 am »

Feeling Pinkie Keen has this property that everyone will interpret it in the way they'll find the most offensive.

Also Faust said that she wasn't happy with it and that it could be interpreted in all sorts of bad ways she didn't intend and that she realized this to late, more or less.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 15, 2011, 08:53:47 am »

It's kind of ironically fun that the pony closely tied to magic gets to represent science, though.

Not really. Casters in MLP universe seem to use magic in more of an academic, analitical way, as seen with Twilight Sparkle and how she got her cutie mark.
Therefore, it would be the most logical thing to have one of these to represent science. (not that they were trying to do that.)

Also, stop having the same pony as me. :P

Also, for the episode itself:
"I am happy to report that I now realise there are wonderful things in the world you just can't explain, but that doesn't necessarily make them any less true."
-Twilight Sparkle at the episode end

So yeah, I don't see how this could mean anything supernatural. Could be interpreted either way though, so there is no real solution to this arguement.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 15, 2011, 08:59:41 am »

Twilight Sparkle wasn't even doing science. Pinky's abilities were consistently reproducible, which should lead one to curiosity, not closed-mindedness.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 15, 2011, 09:10:34 am »

Twilight Sparkle wasn't even doing science. Pinky's abilities were consistently reproducible, which should lead one to curiosity, not closed-mindedness.
It's kind of ironic that it's the scientist who's close-minded one in this situation, considering the stereotype of narrowminded theists.
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 15, 2011, 09:30:22 am »

I just watched it without analyzing it. I heard it was a rather divisive episode, so I just ignored them bits. Gotta say, that was not one of my favorites.

Oh, found a pony generator on Deviant Art. Anyone want a link?

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 15, 2011, 10:36:45 am »

It's kind of ironically fun that the pony closely tied to magic gets to represent science, though.

Not really. Casters in MLP universe seem to use magic in more of an academic, analitical way, as seen with Twilight Sparkle and how she got her cutie mark.
Therefore, it would be the most logical thing to have one of these to represent science. (not that they were trying to do that.)

Yes, I agree, which is why I put the second sentence in that paragraph, the one you removed from the quote. ;)

No u!

"I am happy to report that I now realise there are wonderful things in the world you just can't explain, but that doesn't necessarily make them any less true."

So yeah, I don't see how this could mean anything supernatural. Could be interpreted either way though, so there is no real solution to this arguement.

I think Twilight represented science in the common, stereotypical 'scientists are people with weird machines and blinky lights' way and not the proper 'scientific method' way.

I'm not saying the episode should be interpreted as science vs. religion, I'm saying that it's an easy interpretation to make. Finally, I agree, this argument is pointless and already explored.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 15, 2011, 10:56:22 am »

Plus another reasonable alternative is that Twilight is FAITH.

She knows whats "true" and is willing to ignore the evidence to show its the case! But she has no explanation for it! Heh.

So put me on the pile of people saying it might have just railed against closed-mindedness. It could just be a story of "trust the evidence rather than preconceived notions and beliefs, you don't know everything", which I think was closer to what was intended anyways. But whatever, yeah, wasn't the greatest episode.

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 15, 2011, 11:00:47 am »

Yes, I agree, which is why I put the second sentence in that paragraph, the one you removed from the quote. ;)
Whoops. Yeah, I can see now that you meant the same as me.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 15, 2011, 11:23:02 am »

In other news, animation of season two just started.

I'm certainly looking forward to it!

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 15, 2011, 12:03:07 pm »

Yeah, that's the Vancouver studio. Topdraw supposedly started animating last week.
Or at least that's the word on /co/.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 15, 2011, 01:19:29 pm »

TL; DR: FPK delivers a good message (love and tolerance, anyone?), but even Faust admits that the delivery of said message is slightly off. Move along, people.

I just squee'd and now my entire family is looking at me funny. Shit.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 15, 2011, 03:46:49 pm »

That's the problem when you get into the silliness of a "fantastic Aesop" (TM tvtropes?). The message as delivered isn't tolerance, or friendship, or it's ok if you don't understand, because it is consistent and reproducible. Literally the message is "don't doubt people with ticks predicting the future".

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: June 15, 2011, 04:09:28 pm »

As Larry Niven said  "Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology"
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 283