Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dwarves wont stop training!  (Read 1375 times)

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dwarves wont stop training!
« on: January 07, 2011, 06:29:19 am »

i have had my millitary training for nearly 3 years now so its time for their first 2 months off. problem is they wont stop training, im lazy and will forget that they are not training and leave them off duty for a whole year if i just set time to inactive.

i have cleared 2 consecutive months on the squads scheduled but some of them are still training... what do i do?
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dwarves wont stop training!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:31:16 am »

Ignore schedules and set them to inactive?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 07:21:42 am »

Leave them to it? :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 08:23:39 am »

fun idea till they all tantrum from accumulated misery, it's an active military and we had a loss in the last ambush so i'm wanting to get them happy some time sooner then tantrum.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 08:46:09 am »

Sooner than tantrum? That sounds a bit hasty! Sit down, take beer, relax.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 09:45:29 am »

it's a play on words fool, i replaced 'later' with 'tantrum' because if it wait for later a tantrum is what im gonna get. and i have a fucking 1337 military so that could end very badly.

Fellhuhn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 10:06:47 am »

it's a play on words fool, i replaced 'later' with 'tantrum' because if it wait for later a tantrum is what im gonna get. and i have a fucking 1337 military so that could end very badly.
Sounds like fun. Sit down, relax, take a beer.  :)

EDIT: And you tried to simply set the squad to inactive?

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 10:29:54 am »

fun idea till they all tantrum from accumulated misery, it's an active military and we had a loss in the last ambush so i'm wanting to get them happy some time sooner then tantrum.
Stick stuff they like in their rooms. smooth them, engrave them. Plenty of ways to cheer them up.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 11:59:38 am »

i have cleared 2 consecutive months on the squads scheduled but some of them are still training... what do i do?

I had a similar problem except it was an individual dwarf (a legendary armoursmith who wasn't working on armour making when needed) who I wanted to cease his combat drill. My solution was to drop him from the squad but someone pointed out that I could have just taken away the squad's designated barracks and saved myself the trouble of drafting him again later. Having nowhere to train should have the desired effect for you too.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 12:40:30 pm »

If I understand it correctly, there is one piece of information left out of this discussion.  You say "some of them are still training": are they listed as doing the more complex "wait for dodging demonstration" etc., or the basic "individual combat drill"?  See here:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Combat_drills
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Soldier

I'm guessing that the dwarves are doing proper training when you tell them to get together and do so, and are doing individual drills the rest of the time because they want to.  It's not a problem.  If you want them to stop:

someone pointed out that I could have just taken away the squad's designated barracks and saved myself the trouble of drafting him again later. Having nowhere to train should have the desired effect for you too.

Indeed.

--Rexfelum
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 12:43:30 pm by Rexfelum »

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 12:57:55 pm »

my soldiers are quite happy, they enjoy sparring and like their barracks, thats all u need i think

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 02:32:23 pm »

The best way to make your soldiers happy again is to send them out and kill some poor random critters running around.  Crundles are perfect because they come in hordes.
I play games of games inside games in my head.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 07:21:17 pm »

I'm guessing that the dwarves are doing proper training when you tell them to get together and do so, and are doing individual drills the rest of the time because they want to.  It's not a problem.

so no unhappy thoughts form them being workaholics? just when they are told to work all day every day it makes them miserable?

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 09:07:52 pm »

I'm guessing that the dwarves are doing proper training when you tell them to get together and do so, and are doing individual drills the rest of the time because they want to.  It's not a problem.

so no unhappy thoughts form them being workaholics? just when they are told to work all day every day it makes them miserable?

That's my deduction; not a recorded fact.  If you search the wiki for bad thoughts about long patrol duty/being relieved from duty, it talks about the player's choices.  If you search for individual combat drills, it talks about dwarves choosing to do them even when off duty.  (Some people think the choice has to do with personality traits.)  One would hope the game is programmed so that dwarves don't make themselves miserable by simply being more dutiful.

You might check to see if the dwarves who keep training have any other labors to do.

--Rexfelum