Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Big Wooden Dump  (Read 529 times)

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
A Big Wooden Dump
« on: January 06, 2011, 07:21:21 pm »

Hey all,
I'm trying to do a mass designation for a ton of lumber. I have a dump tile set in my carpentry workshop, the logs are all designated (show up highlighted in purple), but the dwarfs aren't responding. Tried taking away and adding the designation again, but I'm stumped (heh).

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Big Wooden Dump
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 07:37:02 pm »

In all probability, that lumber is on the surface. That means that it's outdoors, and, since they're marked for dumping, considered refuse. You also likely have the (default) "Dwarves ignore outside refuse" order set, so your dwarves are ignoring the outdoor refuse that is your lumber. To fix the problem, use o-r-o to set dwarves to gathering outside refuse.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 08:49:29 pm »

Careful wiht that though, as if a cat kills a ray outside now, a dwarf will go to fetch it's corpse.

Just a heads up that you may (probably) want to remember to turn the order bak to ignoring it later

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 08:53:19 pm »

wouldn't that only happen if it is tagged to be dumped since the garbage dump is what is designated

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 09:12:56 pm »

wouldn't that only happen if it is tagged to be dumped since the garbage dump is what is designated

but if you have a refuse stockpile on the inside and the cat kill something and is not willing to transport it to his owner, the dwarf will collect it no matter how far and dangerous the mission is and will bring the dead dragonfly to your refuse stockpile

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 09:37:34 pm »

It is lumber on the surface. I never use the "o" menu. Thanks for the replies.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 10:18:20 pm »

You can tell dwarves to ignore vermin remains. It's in the refuse orders menu.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.