Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Freelancer - Better late than never.  (Read 12312 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Freelancer - Better late than never.
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2011, 06:58:12 am »

Oh hey a freelancer thread... I have played it for so long I know a trick or two. First, remember to follow enemy patrols. They will lead you to !Fun! and warpholes. Two. Remember to use tab all the time.
Switch tab to mouse 4. Use it rarely in bursts, combined with engine kill. Why do you want to use it all the time? :)

Also, to add to that: you can dock almost immediately, you just need to position your ship in correct places near stations/gates before pressing F2.

P.S. That Crossfire server/mod is awesome. It has dynamically changing economy. Finally playing a trader is Fun.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 07:00:24 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2011, 11:02:59 am »

P.S. That Crossfire server/mod is awesome. It has dynamically changing economy. Finally playing a trader is Fun.
I may just have to try that out.

Also, in responce to the whole Windows Vista/7 thing... I'm running an XP machine right now.. So, I've not got full access to a testable Vista/7 installation. My girlfriend however, does have Vista and I asked her to install it to try it out.
Running in compatibility mode, she had absolutely no problems with the Discovery mod, except that she had to run DSUpdate before going into the game.
Also, Freelancer won't run Multiplayer without some configuration at all.
Either you install a third party mod, or you have to run direct IPs all the time. Or both!

As for widescreen.. I'm running the game in 16:10 (What really should be called 8:5, I don't get why it's 16:10...)
I just set it to the highest resolution I could find, and it's just working, like that.

Switch tab to mouse 4. Use it rarely in bursts, combined with engine kill.
Isn't that how we fly around space in RL?

And finally... Is anyone actually going to sign up for this race? I know the date's yet to be set, but I'm going to need some ideas on when people are free. Maybe next Saturday?
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2011, 12:05:17 pm »

I can do any day bar Sunday, really.

So.

AnalysisFailed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2011, 01:09:47 pm »

I'm definitely interested in the race if I can manage to get it working through wine. I really enjoyed the game back when I had it installed, never got to the multiplayer part of it, and the discovery mod looks fun. This Saturday is the last one I'll have available for a while though. Not meaning today.

Lethal Dosage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2011, 11:55:59 pm »

Does anyone else have the problem of being unable to install the game in W7? Whenever I try to install it, it reaches 100% then comes up with a "This installation was not successful, try clicking install on the main menu to start again".

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2011, 12:05:14 am »

Does anyone else have the problem of being unable to install the game in W7? Whenever I try to install it, it reaches 100% then comes up with a "This installation was not successful, try clicking install on the main menu to start again".
Did you check to make sure it's not lying to you about failing?
I notice that often enough that I'm pretty sure it comes up for most installations, even though I haven't had an installation fail ever. It has self-confidence issues.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2011, 12:15:16 pm »

Because I'm having a fair bit of fun on the singleplayer... even though it's kinda sucky, and because I'm thinking about branching off into multiplayer, I'm going to revive this.

I have to say, it's kinda got a "so bad it's good" thing going on. I mean it's starts out talking about how Space America is rotten to the bone, at which point you run to Space Britain, and then go to Space Japan, during which time Space Germany is beginning a conquest of the galaxy... It's always damn Space Germany isn't it?

Anyway, I love the control system, at least how it flies, there's a myriad of other issues with everything else... But I'm guessing there are mods for that, will have to try them out.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2011, 12:33:38 pm »

And Space Spaniards are pushing drigs and crime everywhere else. Don't forget that.

Lethal Dosage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2011, 01:05:27 pm »

Did you check to make sure it's not lying to you about failing?
I notice that often enough that I'm pretty sure it comes up for most installations, even though I haven't had an installation fail ever. It has self-confidence issues.

I'm pretty sure it failed, the exe does not execute as it should and it's not windows the one that tells me it failed - it's the game installer itself.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2011, 01:08:15 pm »

It's always damn Space Germany isn't it?

Except that Space Germany is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2011, 01:14:33 pm »

Massive spoiler is MASSIVE.
I probably shouldn't have clicked on that one myself.

Also, Lethal Dosage, if you're having trouble installing it, try running it in XP compatibility mode.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2011, 02:15:24 pm »

*shakes his head*
Looks like space germany has done it again!
Anyway finished the campaign, even though it really starts to break down towards the end. Now to figure out what mods etc. to play, I guess I'll take a look at the server mentioned before.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2011, 02:59:03 pm »

Now to figure out what mods etc. to play, I guess I'll take a look at the server mentioned before.
Aformentioned server runs the Discovery 4.85/Update3 mod. I should probably put bold around that on the first post.

Also, for the race, I'm thinking of having Artifacts as the cargo, running from Newcastle system to Planet Manhatten. Repchanges to Agira Tech and BMM both to hostile.
That should mean that you'll get chased down by and Agira/BMM ships, and any police/military ships that scan you.
Sounds like a decent challenge to me, what does everyone else think?

Lethal Dosage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2011, 04:26:06 pm »

Massive spoiler is MASSIVE.
I probably shouldn't have clicked on that one myself.

Also, Lethal Dosage, if you're having trouble installing it, try running it in XP compatibility mode.

The xp compability mode does not work, I think it has something to do with my computer.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2011, 04:38:17 pm »

The xp compability mode does not work, I think it has something to do with my computer.
What kind of computer are you running on?
I'm quite interested to know, since I should eventually get my Windows 7 computer fixed this year, and will probably want to install on that.
Are you running 64-bit?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9