Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Games and DRM expand and discuss  (Read 6024 times)

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
Games and DRM expand and discuss
« on: January 06, 2011, 12:09:08 pm »

After reading rock paper shotguns article about how Homefront will be shipped with a DRM which only let's one player use the game (linky : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/01/06/editorial-thqs-online-pass-drm/ ), I'm just wondering what are your views on DRM's ?.

In my opinion DRM is ruining the gaming industry! I think when we fork out £30/$60 we should have the right to do what ever we like with the game we have just bought ( excluding copying the game and then selling the copies THAT is wrong!) cause I buy alot of games to then share out on My Own computers ( and my mates laptop if something is broken) so that I can then have LAN partys with my friends, but DRM's are makeing this so hard, In my opinion what I'm doing is not wrong all I'm doing us useing the game to play between my mates. I'm not selling it or makeing a profit or anything so Im not in the wrong!

Anyway I found a way past steams DRM on steam and still play LAN on MY games with my mate on his laptop.
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games and DRM expand and discuss
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 12:11:37 pm »

I just don't see the point in DRM.

The only people it harms are your customers. It doesn't harm the pirates except, maybe, for the game to take two weeks longer for someone to crack.

It'd be like having a seal on a loaf of bread that requires a password to open. If you input the wrong password or try to open it without a password, it releases cyanide on the loaf of bread.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 12:11:57 pm »

so they are doing the same shit Ubisoft did? Damnit of all of the worst DRMs, the internet one sucks becuase you are relying on a game server to let you play. most people had issues with that especially during the game when the servers suddenly drops you.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 12:12:55 pm »

DRM is in general a bad thing but its probably never going to go away.  I personally really like the way steam does things, and I think it (mostly) makes sense compared to some of the other horrid DRM schemes out there. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 12:16:17 pm »

DRM is in general a bad thing but its probably never going to go away.  I personally really like the way steam does things, and I think it (mostly) makes sense compared to some of the other horrid DRM schemes out there.

Yeah but if my mate does not have the same game as me then it's impossible to play against him cause you need to have the same account ( unless one of you logs into that account if offline mode then puts it back onto the Internet which gets past the problem )

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 12:21:33 pm »

Yeah but if my mate does not have the same game as me then it's impossible to play against him cause you need to have the same account ( unless one of you logs into that account if offline mode then puts it back onto the Internet which gets past the problem )

Yeah, I know.  Its a bit of a bummer compared to how things were in the old days, but there is a pretty good argument that your friend SHOULD have to buy a copy of the game to be able to play against you.   

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 12:27:45 pm »

It'd be like having a seal on a loaf of bread that requires a password to open. If you input the wrong password or try to open it without a password, it releases cyanide on the loaf of bread.

And the pirates are the people who engineer an autocracker for the seal so that they don't even have to bother with it. The only person that ends up harmed is the one that wants bread but lost the piece of paper with the password.

I think there's a certain portion of copyright protection necessary for a lot of things, just don't go overboard like most people do!

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 12:33:13 pm »

I remember spores DRM bloody hell it was shit >,> I just threw the game in the bin after smashing it into tiny bits cause of the frustration from the DRM, what the fuck where they thinking when they allowed the game to only be put on a computer 3 times!!! I reformat my machine a bit to keep it clean >,>.

And in reply to the steam awnser : yes but why should he buy it? When it's being run on My machines  why can't I run the game more then once at the same time >,>

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 12:42:36 pm »

And in reply to the steam awnser : yes but why should he buy it? When it's being run on My machines  why can't I run the game more then once at the same time >,>

You've got a point, but that is a lot harder for game companies to manage.  If steam added the functionality to let people register N computers as owned, what is to prevent me from giving N-1 copies of my entire steam collection to people.  I've got over 100 games on steam, and that would be a lot of lost profits for the developers.

I know its not perfect, but there are a lot worse ways for them to protect their sales.  (Like what they did with spore).

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 12:43:47 pm »

Ubisoft games are no longer shipping with DRM though :D.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 12:45:36 pm »

yea because they learn from their mistakes.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 12:50:47 pm »

Yeah, I know.  Its a bit of a bummer compared to how things were in the old days, but there is a pretty good argument that your friend SHOULD have to buy a copy of the game to be able to play against you.

Not really. If I go out and buy a new console, should every player have to buy a copy of the game we're going to play? No.

Total Annihilation and Dark Reign handled this wonderfully and they were made ages ago. TA lets you install multiplayer only version. DR only lets you play multiplayer if no cd is inserted.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 12:52:47 pm »

Drm are great :  they mean that paying customer get less than non buyer.
And that's also a point in favor of indie game and free software. I personally love them.
Can't wait for the day you have to hand over your comp for complete inspection before even installing a game. (Bonus point if a tsa style strip search is involved.)
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 12:54:48 pm »

I've not heard this, I know they patched and disabled that ridiculous always-on internet connection DRM, but I've not read anywhere that they're completely abandoning all forms of DRM. Got a link?

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 12:59:17 pm »

I think he was talking about that new DRM that required internet connection
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7