Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Small request  (Read 817 times)

devilleboi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Small request
« on: January 06, 2011, 07:06:35 am »

So im a relatively new dwarf fortress player, thanks to 5ippycup's videos on youtube making the game alot easier to comprehend. So anyway, after having tried a few fortresses, ive decided its time for a challenge. Previously all my forts were in calm areas with relatively nothing to do and little excitement except for the ocassional cyclops, dragon and forgotten beast. My biome (there was only one) had no wildlife except for gazelles which i couldnt train or do anything with due to the fact that my dungeon master was missing. (hadnt arrived even after 7 in game years)

So i was wondering if anyone could help me find (or generate) an embark location with these qualities:

Flux
LOTS of iron
Fuel (bituminous/lignite)
Volcano
Untamed Wilds (Hoping for some elephants and giant eagles and whatnot)
Sand
brook(preferable compared to rivers)
Warm Climate (im having difficulty dealing with ice)
any elevation will do but id prefer low

Thanks in advance!

P.S yes ive searched the seed/pregen databases already :o

STRIKE THE EARTH!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Small request
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 08:52:05 am »

The different ores are relativly easy to find in DF2010. You need a hot climate and atropical forest/shrubland for elephants, not untamed wilds. Flux is extremely hard to find with a volcanoe, except marble. Sand is generated when your dwarfs walk on the ground enough. So, you can pretty much increase the volcanoes in custom worldgen and be fine.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:00:52 am »

It's true.  I usually just turn Max Volcanoes up to 200 and look around every single one on the map until I find one that suits.  You may have to gen several worlds in this way, but you'll eventually find something.

My only complaint about this is that volcanoes always poke out of the landscape a lot.  I miss magma pools.  :'(
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 10:35:12 am »

Sand is generated when your dwarfs walk on the ground enough.

Is that a confirmed .31 thing?

I believe what he wants is a sand layer for glass, which requires, specifically, sand, white sand, red sand, or black sand.  When dwarves walk on the ground enough what you get is an exposed soil layer, but that could be loam, clay, silt, &c, none of which are sand.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 10:39:34 am »

The different ores are relativly easy to find in DF2010. You need a hot climate and atropical forest/shrubland for elephants, not untamed wilds. Flux is extremely hard to find with a volcanoe, except marble. Sand is generated when your dwarfs walk on the ground enough. So, you can pretty much increase the volcanoes in custom worldgen and be fine.
You don't need a hot climate. I've gotten elephants in warm.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

sicksock

• Bay Watcher
  • Incompetent Marksman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 11:03:30 am »

"I've been a bad, bad little Dwarf and I must simply be beaten. Oh don't use a weapon, use your bare hands and make me feel it"

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 12:02:13 pm »

Sand is generated when your dwarfs walk on the ground enough.

Is that a confirmed .31 thing?

I believe what he wants is a sand layer for glass, which requires, specifically, sand, white sand, red sand, or black sand.  When dwarves walk on the ground enough what you get is an exposed soil layer, but that could be loam, clay, silt, &c, none of which are sand.
Oh, I thought it was sand. I on't really pay attention to those things.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Makigall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2011, 03:09:13 pm »

I've found that the most reliable way to have elephants present is to embark in a Tropical Coniferous Forest.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2011, 03:30:54 pm »

Elephants only show up in Tropical Forest biomes and Tropical Shrublands (but not Tropical Grasslands or Tropical Savannas).

Also, getting sedimentary stone (iron ore, flux, and fuel) near a volcano is going to be somewhat difficult, because high volcanism forces the upper layers to be igneous extrusive. You don't really need a volcano, anyways - just dig down far enough until you hit the magma sea, then do all of your smelting and smithing down there (or at least until you pump some magma up by the rest of your fortress). Remember that vertical distances are equivalent to horizontal distances, so having to walk down 30 Z-levels of stairs to get to the magma sea is no worse than having to walk down a 30-tile hallway.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 03:45:14 pm »

Flux
LOTS of iron
Fuel (bituminous/lignite)
If you get a layer of flux, you'll probably have more coal and iron and flux than you ever need. Look for that.

Volcano
Not strictly required unless you just like them - there's magma at the bottom of the world. Just build your forges there. (I do.)

Untamed Wilds (Hoping for some elephants and giant eagles and whatnot)
Sand
brook(preferable compared to rivers)
Warm Climate (im having difficulty dealing with ice)
any elevation will do but id prefer low

You can get the warmth by setting the minimum temperature to 45+ in worldgen perameters. Modding out aquifers will make finding these items at low elevations more feasible. Increasing volcanism minimums (or variances) and increasing the minimum number of volcanoes will get you most of what you want.

Note that getting flux AND a volcano is often very challenging.

Aim for tropical forests, for elephants.they don't have to be warm/hot/scorching but they must be identified as "tropical X".