Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Making a 'Dwarf Wash'?  (Read 3359 times)

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making a 'Dwarf Wash'?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 02:10:42 pm »

I have a big problem with the dwarf wash that I built in my fort.  It gets the water to where I want it to go, but it sends too much water too fast.  Currently my pump is tapping into a river and filling a 1-wide channel down to a flood gate.  After the floodgate, the channel goes 2 wide and flows to the stair wash and finally to the draining area.

What suggestions would you recommend to reduce the flow on the stairs?  Would a pressure release or two to a side stair work?
I play games of games inside games in my head.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 02:47:10 pm »

What I'm using for a dwarfwash/mist generator at the moment is a windmill-driven pump, whose output fans out through multiple diagonal passage divisions to about 8 endpoints.  The pump keeps the water at 7/7 at the output tile, and the water spreads out through the diagonals to produce intermittent 1/7 water falls at each output.  Water falls from that a few Z-levels to a corridor whose floor is made of floor grates over a drainage channel.  The falling water and mist washes the dwarves and makes them happy, and hardly ever knocks babies out of their mother's arms.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 04:48:35 pm »

What I'm using for a dwarfwash/mist generator at the moment is a windmill-driven pump, whose output fans out through multiple diagonal passage divisions to about 8 endpoints.  The pump keeps the water at 7/7 at the output tile, and the water spreads out through the diagonals to produce intermittent 1/7 water falls at each output.  Water falls from that a few Z-levels to a corridor whose floor is made of floor grates over a drainage channel.  The falling water and mist washes the dwarves and makes them happy, and hardly ever knocks babies out of their mother's arms.

Did you put a meeting area beneath it?  Those seem like a good way to wash the animals that too often spread contamination...
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 05:00:37 pm »

what happens to the contamination if it falls on lava?

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 05:12:58 pm »

Pictures, Please!

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 07:38:44 pm »

Why not just use a small dip with 2/7 water, and use the init option that stops contaminants from spreading onto the floor?

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 07:44:47 pm »

pics+engravings+ or it din't happen! Can you please give us some pictures, I'm interested with a mist generator but I have problems with the infinite loop thing.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 08:19:03 pm »

pics+engravings+ or it din't happen! Can you please give us some pictures, I'm interested with a mist generator but I have problems with the infinite loop thing.

My design is not a loop, I have an oceanside fortress as an infinite water source and map-edge drains as an infinite water drain.  I don't think this design would work as a water-conserving design, the water spreads out enough that I'm sure a fair amount evaporates.

Here's the upper level:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The two pumps on the right are powered by windmills built directly atop them.  The channels immediately at the pump outputs always have 7/7 water due to the pumps running non-stop, but the many diagonal passages in the water distribution system limit the water flow and spread the water out enough that the outputs only have 1/7 or 2/7 water at any time.

Two Z-levels down:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The main corridor on the right is directly under the water outflows from the distribution channels.  Pieces of 1/7 water fall down from above, make mist, wash dwarves, and then fall right through the grates to the drainage line underneath.  I never get dangerous terrain warnings from this design since the water is spread out enough to not scare dwarves.  The system is set up so that dwarves have to walk through it to get to the booze stockpile on the left side, which ensures that everyone gets washed sooner or later.

This design doesn't wash away the contaminates, they pile up on the grates until someone comes along and cleans them.  But the cleaning job never gets canceled by dangerous terrain because the water is spread out enough.  This design is also a major FPS hog, with all that flowing and falling water.  It's not perfect, but dows the job for this fortress.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 08:22:05 pm »

what happens to the contamination if it falls on lava?
If the contamination is being carried by water, the water and lava magma turn into obsidian.  I don't know of any other way to make contamination fall, it sticks to bridges and hatches so you can't open the floor under it and drop it.  If you pour magma onto blood or dust or forgotten beast extract, the magma destroys the contamination, so periodically rinsing your dwarf wash with magma will serve to keep it clean.
Pages: 1 [2]