Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Won't butcher the tame groundhogs  (Read 1514 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Won't butcher the tame groundhogs
« on: January 03, 2011, 09:22:14 pm »

Recently I "liberated" a couple of tame groundhogs from the elves. I've tried every way I can think of to mark them for death, and nothing works. They won't even appear on the "animals" tab under status. What am I overlooking?

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Won't butcher the tame groundhogs
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 09:25:10 pm »

Build their cages in front of a ballista, and let them out so that your siege operators can have some fun?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 09:28:47 pm »

Maybe it's related to another problem I have. Some of my dwarves aren't appearing on my military menu (one of which I want to add to a squad), and a lot of my military dwarves keep losing the names I gave them.

edit: the dwarf in question is a child. The names disappearing is still irritating, though.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 09:32:26 pm by Lagslayer »

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 09:38:22 pm »

Me too have the problem of the names reverting, it is very frustrating.
I think they do it when they achieve something (a strong kill, etc)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 10:40:20 pm »

yes names do change when they get notable kills but jobs wont.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 12:41:42 pm »

[PET_EXOTIC] creatures can't be butchered without a Dungeon Master.

Since there's no way to get a Dungeon Master, your only option is to change the raws to [PET].

Gzalzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Whisper Game Studios
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 01:02:46 pm »

yes names do change when they get notable kills but jobs wont.

They lose their nicknames and I'm fairly sure their job title changes back to default.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 02:35:06 pm »

[PET_EXOTIC] creatures can't be butchered without a Dungeon Master.

Since there's no way to get a Dungeon Master, your only option is to change the raws to [PET].

Are groundhogs exotic pets?
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 02:51:02 pm »

Elephants, Black/Grizzly Bears, Mountain Goats, Tigermen and anything you can embark with are the only non-exotics.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 05:43:44 pm »

Elephants, Black/Grizzly Bears, Mountain Goats, Tigermen and anything you can embark with are the only non-exotics.
...So, tigermen aren't exotic but tigers are? Weird.

It's hard to do stuff with animals from dead merchants. Due to a possible bug, you can't free critters from dead merchants. Try waiting a few months for them to become "tame," then releasing them; or simply kill them. (A floor tile to the head oughta work.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 06:56:54 pm »

Creatures which have PET:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Creatures which have PET_EXOTIC:

This according to a quick scan of a copy of my raws that I'm pretty sure I haven't modded.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

cbpye

• Bay Watcher
  • Nerd Harder
    • View Profile
    • cbpye.net
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 08:13:05 pm »

Here's hoping that the version that adds all these new sponsored animals will also re-introduce the dungeon master.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 09:46:05 pm »

I can't even butcher them unless I have a dungeon master? If I find another way to kill them, will it work then? I WANT MY GROUNDHOG BISCUITS!!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 09:51:14 pm »

I can't even butcher them unless I have a dungeon master? If I find another way to kill them, will it work then? I WANT MY GROUNDHOG BISCUITS!!
Tame creatures which die from any cause other than being deliberately slaughtered at a butcher's shop can't be butchered.  If you are so desperate for the taste of sweet, sweet groundhog flesh, you can always go and modify the raw files in your save game folder to change groundhogs to be [PET] instead of [PET_EXOTIC].
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 10:11:00 pm »

Creatures which have PET:

Creatures which have PET_EXOTIC:

This according to a quick scan of a copy of my raws that I'm pretty sure I haven't modded.

Hmm... do these tags affect training of animals into war beasts? Because I haven't done any modding, and recently trained a giant leopard into a war beast.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."
Pages: [1] 2