Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Blind dwarves  (Read 3985 times)

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blind dwarves
« on: January 03, 2011, 01:41:57 pm »

I had a bit of an accident involving breaching a cavern a second time, letting in a deadly dust forgotten beast and quite a lot of my population rotting to death with anyone affected by the rot and surviving have been left blind as well as being a bearded ball of scar tissue.

Now I've just noticed my blinded legendary metal crafter is only making from -goblet- to *goblet* now instead of his previous ≡goblet≡ and ☼goblet☼.  I'm assuming this is because of his blindness, I can't see anyone else in dwarf therapist having the metal crafting skill enabled anyway.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I couldn't see anything on the wiki but just thought it was pretty cool it was modelled in the game.  I changed the forge to only allow legendary dwarves but he then left to go do nothing, so there's maybe some invisible skill modifier to the dwarf, he's still showing as legendary in the game and on therapist as well. My blind legendary planter is also now only growing plants as one or two as well.

Might be time to find out how well a blind military can do.

DuckBoy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind dwarves
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 01:49:17 pm »

I highly recommend crossbowdwarves and large training rooms.  They shoot in random directions and bolts are sprayed every which way.  A couple legendary blind marksdwarves shooting down a gopher outside would block out the sun for any goblin sieges.

DuckBoy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 01:54:17 pm »

Further, you can make blind dwarf only areas by surrounding a goblin with windows (build cage surround, pull lever).  And blind masons will ignore danger, real or imagined. 

There's one test I'd like you to do though (or post a save). I want to know if a blind dwarf can pit hostiles/attach hostiles to leashes without running away in fear ever.  They just need animal caretaker ( or is it trainer) to take those jobs.

SlimyMarmot

• Bay Watcher
  • Mucous-y
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 02:17:33 pm »

What I'd like to see is an eyeless doctor performing a surgery. And the aftermath, of course. Bonus points for having him remove someone else's eyes.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 02:23:21 pm »

What I'd like to see is an eyeless doctor performing a surgery. And the aftermath, of course. Bonus points for having him remove someone else's eyes.
Had a blind surgeon once, and a jeweler  :D  Their work wasn't affected though.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 02:42:26 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: where blindness is only a flesh wound

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 02:49:52 pm »

It's not a disability, it's a dis-super power!
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 03:15:40 pm »

Had a blind surgeon once, and a jeweler  :D  Their work wasn't affected though.
"Lets see what the problem is."
*squick slurp slorp squoosh*
"Ah! Its your appendix! I think."

"Uh, about this ring you're selling?"
"Aye? Perfectly cut stone, that is. Polished smooth and fine."
"Yes, well... its rock salt."
"Fuuuuuu-"
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 04:16:39 pm »

Glad to see everyone shares my mental picture of the situation.  ;D
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 08:34:53 pm »

I highly recommend crossbowdwarves and large training rooms.  They shoot in random directions and bolts are sprayed every which way.  A couple legendary blind marksdwarves shooting down a gopher outside would block out the sun for any goblin sieges.
this.
every blind dwarf is given a crossbow and is renamed dare devil.

ch00beh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 09:29:32 pm »

The doctors are definitely using their sense of smell and taste to fix up patients.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 10:18:44 pm »

Now I've just noticed my blinded legendary metal crafter is only making from -goblet- to *goblet* now instead of his previous ≡goblet≡ and ☼goblet☼.  I'm assuming this is because of his blindness

Is it possible his skill became "very rusty" if/while he was hospitalized?  Just a thought, I've never actually dealt with this situation before.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 03:21:45 am »

Further, you can make blind dwarf only areas by surrounding a goblin with windows (build cage surround, pull lever).  And blind masons will ignore danger, real or imagined.
I like this 

They just need animal caretaker ( or is it trainer) to take those jobs.

Animal hauler I believe.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 05:15:04 am »

Now I've just noticed my blinded legendary metal crafter is only making from -goblet- to *goblet* now instead of his previous ≡goblet≡ and ☼goblet☼.  I'm assuming this is because of his blindness

Is it possible his skill became "very rusty" if/while he was hospitalized?  Just a thought, I've never actually dealt with this situation before.
It didn't show in his skills in DF and he'd made quite a lot of items before I randomly just checked the forge so any rust should have worn off. 

I did already have some blind marksdwarves and they weren't shooting at a sieging army at all, they were next to others of their squad who were shooting and had 25 bolts in their quiver so I'm not sure that blind marksdwarves work?  Unless Duckboy has had them before?  They were just one z-level above the siegers with fortifications in the way, the enemy weren't too far away at all, I think on the same screen.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 09:41:20 am »

Well blind dwarves seem to be ok doctors still, my chief medical dwarf still seemed to diagnose and suture alright but I think high skill only affects the speed at which the task is done.

Interestingly my blind broker can no longer tell me what traders think of me, he still had judge of intent but when I trade with anyone I can't see their reaction.  Come to think of it I did seem to end up trading 20 bins of gold crafts to the elves for a rare Norwegian blue parrot, which is currently sleeping in it's cage...  Might be time to get a new broker.

The blindness all makes sense, just pretty amazed so many things are affected by what must be a really rare condition for your dwarves.
Pages: [1] 2