Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engraving Workshop  (Read 2341 times)

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Engraving Workshop
« on: January 02, 2011, 03:12:28 am »

I realize that the idea of engraving constructed walls has been brought up repeatedly, however this is a twist and expansion to that idea.

The workshop would, at least in the beginning to keep it simple, take plain blocks and engrave them. Those engraved blocks could then get used in constructions to yield engraved walls, floors, etc. But, since I'm presenting the idea of an engraving workstation, engraving itself should get a larger expansion: engrave EVERYTHING. Cabinets, coffins, goblets, shields, and coffers. Even gems get engraved.

It should be brought to DF.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: Engraving Workshop
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 01:14:04 pm »

A good idea. would certainly make engraving more worhtwile when everythings already been dug out and done.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 04:48:30 pm »

i don't think magically generation additional tradable wealth out of nothing is a good idea. making engraved blocks is, though, because seriously, who's going to trade blocks?
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 04:55:01 pm »

if its a stone item, a nice little carving would add what, 5 dorf bucks? its not like it has to be very much at first, or even just 30 or 40 at masterwork, a mugs still a mug. it just looks pritty and elves are stupid enought to buy it because of such.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 11:04:02 pm »

because seriously, who's going to trade blocks?

That's like going to 4chan and posting "seriously, who's gonna post pr0n?". We sell mugs, glass windows, socks that menace with spikes, cats, etc.

Surely someone also sells blocks. Either way, i approve :3.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 03:56:31 am »

It would be kind of cool to have military objects like shields and uniforms have the same images on them, it would be nice if individual units had their own symbols like civilizations and forts do.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 05:01:46 am »

It would be kind of cool to have military objects like shields and uniforms have the same images on them, it would be nice if individual units had their own symbols like civilizations and forts do.
Coats of arms. Yeah, having some for individuals, squads, and the fortress itself would be a pretty sweet addition in and of itself. Other civilizations could have their own sets, too. And one member of a siege who is the designated flag-bearer. (Killing the flag-bearer or destroying the flag could enrage the siegers, which could really be Fun!)

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 10:41:11 am »

Enrage or fear the siege, depending on the circumstances.
A marksdwarf dropping the standard bearer with a shot to the cranium should strike atleast a little terror in their goblin/elfy minds.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 02:52:37 pm »

eather way. i would love to see engraving workshops, or at least the option added to craftworkshops/mason workshops.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 04:34:14 am »

Bumping to add a couple things.

Eggs, specifically their shells, should be added to the engraving workshop. The engraving workshop should have a new effect as well: chance of failure. Rookies will have an incredibly difficult time engraving fragile things without breaking them, while masters of the art will have incredible feats of beauty.

Also, bring in some of the elements of dwarven happiness. And make dwarven thoughts/feelings matter, too. Even if a dwarf is legendary, if they're goofballs and can't concentrate, they'll mess up more often. Especially in close proximity to loud and noisy places, like near a meeting hall or next to forges.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 09:25:05 am »

engraving should be combined with masonry imo, there is technically no difference in techniques between masonry and engraving stone besides for difficulty (so an expert mason should still have some trouble engraving a lot of stone walls)

i do like the block thing etc

Neowulf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 10:25:34 am »

Bumping to add a couple things.

Eggs, specifically their shells, should be added to the engraving workshop. The engraving workshop should have a new effect as well: chance of failure. Rookies will have an incredibly difficult time engraving fragile things without breaking them, while masters of the art will have incredible feats of beauty.

Also, bring in some of the elements of dwarven happiness. And make dwarven thoughts/feelings matter, too. Even if a dwarf is legendary, if they're goofballs and can't concentrate, they'll mess up more often. Especially in close proximity to loud and noisy places, like near a meeting hall or next to forges.
Hoping for a legendary engraver, Urist McFaberge?

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 11:09:51 am »

engraving stone besides for difficulty
Except that failure means even those high-quality items become essentially worthless. Getting chipped or the artwork was botched 'orribly, or something else. Carving a basic door out of a slab of rock can be pretty easy compared to masterful engravings on both sides of that door. If it gets too thin anywhere, the door could break under its own weight when it gets put up.

Hoping for a legendary engraver, Urist McFaberge?
I'd like to think that there are some gobbos out there that could appreciate the masterful engravings on a steel serrated disk that just cut them too pieces. :P

Would also be really, really cool to build a giant tower out of blocks that have been engraved with massacres of goblins, humans, elves, kobolds, and everything else out there.