Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with soap making  (Read 1724 times)

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
Problem with soap making
« on: December 27, 2010, 08:46:30 am »

So I can't make any soap. This is the problem.

When I try to create lye, the dorfs take ashes and do something with it. When its time to make soap however, it says I don't have lye bearing barrels. When I look into the ashery, I see that it is filled with buckets; I think the lye is inside them.

How can I make the lye go into barrels?
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with soap making
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 08:50:55 am »

Lye-making is bugged now.
Buy it from caravan instead.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 09:01:03 am »

I see. Thanks for info.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 09:22:57 am »

its not hard, but takes some persistence.  Making a lot of lye, and then setting a lye-only stockpile, and then having extra barrels around will usually do the trick.  But yeah, caravan lye works easily.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 09:29:15 am »

Maybe, I tried several times and then gave up. They take bucket filled with water, ash and produce bucket with one unit of lye and others of water. And then they refuse to make anything with this mixture.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Hoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 09:52:05 am »

just so nobody repeats my mistake: if you make a costum stockpile for lye you have to allow the barrels in the submenu right after you (q)uery the pile. NOT barrels as a good. after realizing this soap works fine for me.

Soapalope

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Soaper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 11:53:03 am »

You can't make the real thing, i.e me.
FB: I was thinking Facebook. Oh well, I guess killing a Forgotten Beast is cool too.
Note to self: Devise methods of dropping Liaisons down pits during meetings. Yell, "THIS IS SPAARRTAAAAA..." at my monitor.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 12:31:13 pm »

just so nobody repeats my mistake: if you make a costum stockpile for lye you have to allow the barrels in the submenu right after you (q)uery the pile. NOT barrels as a good. after realizing this soap works fine for me.
Yup, Hoan is right.  I've done this and it works for me, as well. Usually there's a delay, since I have a bunch of barrels reserved for brewing, but my dwarves make soap eventually.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 04:25:46 pm »

huh, I managed to get stuck on this just last night as well.

I set up a food stock pile, 9/9 barrels allowed, locked everything then enabled lye under otehr liquids, and the ashery is sitting right next to it with five buckets of lye.  40 odd idle dwarfs (I'm not good at keeping dorfs busy, so sue me :P ) and none of them getting a 'store in stockpile' job for the lye.

ah well, it's just 10 wasted units of wood, may the elves cry themselves to sleep over it.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 05:32:39 pm »

I set up a food stock pile, 9/9 barrels allowed, (b)locked everything then enabled lye under otehr liquids, and the ashery is sitting right next to it with five buckets of lye.  40 odd idle dwarfs (I'm not good at keeping dorfs busy, so sue me :P ) and none of them getting a 'store in stockpile' job for the lye.

ah well, it's just 10 wasted units of wood, may the elves cry themselves to sleep over it.

For reference, you won't get a "store item in stockpile" job - you'll get "store item in barrel" once an empty barrel has been brought to the stockpile, just like you do when making milk.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 07:06:31 pm »

I set up a food stock pile, 9/9 barrels allowed, (b)locked everything then enabled lye under otehr liquids, and the ashery is sitting right next to it with five buckets of lye.  40 odd idle dwarfs (I'm not good at keeping dorfs busy, so sue me :P ) and none of them getting a 'store in stockpile' job for the lye.

For reference, you won't get a "store item in stockpile" job - you'll get "store item in barrel" once an empty barrel has been brought to the stockpile, just like you do when making milk.

The joke is on me, I have never made milk... there is one barrel in my stockpile, I will have to get home and double check hat it is empty, but it should be.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 10:55:39 pm »

I've had home made lye in barrel but the game still didn't recognise it. Grrr.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

CarbonNitride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 11:58:34 pm »

Weird, using the manager seems to work fine for me, I didn't need to intervene and I got my soap just fine.