Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [spoiler]Another screwed up world gen  (Read 1382 times)

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[spoiler]Another screwed up world gen
« on: December 23, 2010, 01:35:42 am »

So I set out with one thing in mind and got distracted along the way. What I WANTED to do was make a new world and a new fort and come up somehow with a new design for things. I decided I wanted a challenge, so I took a page from this guy and made the max cavern water 10, and then I restricted the caverns to only one cavern. Still haven't decided what this new design is, (although if I can figure out how to do it, giant rings sounds fun. If anyone knows how to make HUGE circles through digging feel free to help me out here) however I got distracted onto trying to find a happy tent. So I picked a random region title and started making 8x8 embarks to find it. Third one found it, and a cave.

"You have located Ukassnustroeru The Cremated Fair Crevice" a cave"

Never seen this before but I've read about it in the advanced world gen. I drafted two random dwarves(who are now pretty good axedwarf-wrestler pair from fighting) and send them on their way. Now, the plan from the beginning was to use DFreveal and find the fortress. However, exploring the cave seemed like a good idea. So I explored all the way down the cave, which eventually lead to the cavern. So I started checking it out. First thing to note was the fact I had a metric crapton of magma pipes. And that a few of them were leaking out into the cavern. The first one I found was one z-level high and leaking the magma sea all over the caverns. Luckily, I found a way around them all. Second thing of interest was the strange formations of cotton candy. It was in pillars free floating. Nothing around them other than magma where they met the magma sea. There'd be a vertical column in the middle of my caverns. Finally I found the happy tent, except it was inverted. Instead of the last level being the level with the cotton candy masterwork weapon, it was the first level. The first level of the fort is -1, where I see the weapon, the smoothed black-unminable stuff(do we have a fun word for that yet?), and about 16 pages worth of local other civilization ___men, all stacked on one square, directly next to the masterwork weapon. Following below is what looks like it should be the bulk of the happy tent, which leads directly into the clown car, and opens wide for all clowns alike to visit.

:o Serious wtf

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [spoiler]Another screwed up world gen
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 01:49:59 am »

If you're looking for circles, this might help:
http://neil.fraser.name/news/2006/11/17/

It's set up to make spheres.  I'm sure you can just extrapolate circles from it easily enough though.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 01:56:28 am »

If you're looking for circles, this might help:
http://neil.fraser.name/news/2006/11/17/

It's set up to make spheres.  I'm sure you can just extrapolate circles from it easily enough though.

You're awesome, however to get the size circle I'll have to let it run for an hour or something, it's turning out every single layer of the sphere.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 04:40:16 am »

I've never heard of "Happy tent" used for the Masterwork Cotton Candy Sword and its surrounding Fun stuff. 

Anyway, this sounds interesting, if it isn't lagged to Armok's Domain by the flowing magma it may be an interesting site.  You'll have to find an alternate source of water though.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 04:46:49 am »

For circles, why not just open MS Paint (or whatever equivalent you have), zoom in as far as you can, turn on the gridlines and use the circle tool? I'll give you the boundaries you need for any 2D circle. I use it all the time because I love circles in my forts.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 06:36:05 am »

Somebody mentioned circles?

Have some autohotkey goodness.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

... Circles made so easy they're almost no fun any more. The script may take a few moments to run for huge ones.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 07:42:12 am »

Would you mind briefly explaining how to use that Kumquat?

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 08:09:03 am »

It has the small drawback of needing to keep the script open in text editor to make different radius circles with the scripts.

The needed stuff is in the bottom:
Code: [Select]

^o::
Circle(6,"d")   ; change number to the radius you want, the letter to the designation command you want, hit ctrl+alt+r to reload the script, switch to designate mode, pick center and ctrl-o to run.
return

^+o::
CircleThick(5,0,"d")     ; here the numbers are outer and inner radius, magic key is ctrl-shift-o.
return

^!o::
CircleConstruct(4, "w")  ; this builds a construct (or tries to, it is a little glitch-prone and needs clear area).
; Choose the radius, go to construct mode (bCw), ctrl-alt-o to go.
; Construct material is whatever happens to be nearest, same as the rewalling system in the wiki. caveat emptor.
return

Additionally there's ctrl-alt-r to reload the script so you don't need to fudge around with the tray.

Have fun.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 08:11:04 am »

could OP please post the map? it sounds fun!
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 02:38:16 pm »

I have been so kind as to provide THREE military dwarves with steel weapons and bronze armor, as well as being proficient in their weapon. If you want to fort up here, this is my standard "Imma build a fort with everything exactly how I want it" kit. Should have everything needed, although I wasn't exactly planning to embark on a glacier, so might be short some important stuff, but I don't think so. Obviously water is going to be a problem though so find one of those MANY magma pipes and melt the ice, only thing I can think of since there's no water in the caverns.

EDIT: Hit send too early.  :o 20% uploaded http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AUUP94OA
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 02:47:36 pm by Psychobones »