Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilian outfit  (Read 1134 times)

L0master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civilian outfit
« on: December 22, 2010, 04:39:16 pm »

Would you explain to me how civilians interract with worn items? Do they automatically change their clothes when they become torn? Can they wear jewelery (earrings, bracelets etc.)? Caps, mittens? I heard dwarves can have posessions. I've never made it past year 3, and I guess they'll have posessions only when economy kicks in. But there is no economy in 31.18 as far as i know.
Number of kills: 15
 dog: 1
 your mother: 14

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Civilian outfit
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 04:42:44 pm »

AFAIK they just stuff them into cupboards that they own and spam you with announcements.
*Hugs*

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 05:34:28 pm »

They pick up clothes and store them but never apparently put them on, producing a completely naked fort.  I think you can get around it by assigning military uniforms, but I'm not sure.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

L0master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 06:42:24 am »

It's year 4 now. And my dwarves' clothes are getting torn. And yes, they don't change them with tons of fresh, trendy, decorated and dyed apparels. =(

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 06:58:51 am »

You can indeed use the military screen, and assign whatever you want your dwarves to wear, to them.
Exception being, dwarves with mining / woodcutting / hunting(?) enabled. These jobs have an 'uniform' of their own (being: wear nothing at all except the tools you need for the job)
So what I do: all my civilians go into squads (I prefer squads of 5 dwarves, but that's up to personal taste), and are assigned armor (and/or clothes, and a weapon).
Note: change the 'over clothing' option to 'replace clothing' to have full control over what the dwarf wears.

All miners and woodcutters also go in a (single) squad, but are not assigned any uniform.

There are some reasons to do this. The first, obviously, being armor protection. Getting most of my dwarves into full steel armor plus some cloaks is my first priority on most forts now. Not only will this protect your dwarves from enemy attacks, but also from dwarven Justice.
The second is less obvious; dwarves without shoes will pick up contaminants when walking over them. The resulting long lists of guck clotted to your dwarves will put an extra strain on FPS. Or worse, shoeless dwarves are much more at risk of FB poison exposure.

All the info you'll need on what / how much / in what order dwarves can and will put on clothing/armor you can find here, at the wiki:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Armor

Edit: important note: in the military screen >> supplies, tell your squads to *not* take any food. It is currently bugged. Having them take 'any drink' is fine though. They will need waterskins or flasks for that.

In answer to your other questions: dwarves cannot wear jewelry and such in fortress mode. They can in adventure mode.
In previous versions, I've had dwarves stock up on lots and lots of worthless items in their personal chests. I think that was after the economy set in though.
In this version, I've not seen a dwarf own anything except clothing yet, but I haven't gotten to the economy in the current version.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 07:04:22 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 07:22:28 am »

They can also own vermin pets and wear them :). Clothing wearing was removed a few versions ago due to some balance issues and didn't make it back yet. Before that you'd get tantruming dwarves which were angry because they had no proper clothing and their pants were rotten, and your dungeon masters would wear 10 cloaks at once (and nothing else).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 07:33:42 am »

I just noticed deon's sig still read version 3.18b
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

L0master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 08:47:56 am »

Thanks martinuzz, that explains pretty much everything. But
Exception being, dwarves with mining / woodcutting / hunting(?) enabled. These jobs have an 'uniform' of their own (being: wear nothing at all except the tools you need for the job)
Does that mean that I can't give my legendary spearman a spear if he's a miner? Would switching a squad to Active/Training help?
Or can I simply disable mining/woodcutting/hunting labors for such dwarves?

Clothing wearing was removed a few versions ago due to some balance issues and didn't make it back yet.
I use 31.18 with Civilization Forge, and wearing is present.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 08:50:54 am by L0master »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 09:45:48 am »

You *can* equip your miner with a spear (and armor) if you like. But first, you will need to turn off his mining labor.
After that, you can equip him like any normal dwarf.

In 40d, and versions before that, miners and woodcutters were my initial fortress defense.
That has all changed with df2010. Miners and woodcutters are very vulnerable now, and I tend to restrict them to the inside of the fortress for safety.

And no, setting their alert state to active/training won't help at all.
Actually, I never use alerts anymore, except for civilian burrow restriction orders.
I manage all military matters by
a) not having a barracks
b) having a danger room
c) using the (s)quad commands directly from the main screen to control any military action
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 09:50:48 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479