Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Water replicator - would this work? [Answer: No, use Ice instead]  (Read 1463 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I havent done any !science! on this yet, byt maybe somebody did. Is it possible to replicate water? You can take 10 buckets out of a well before depleting it by 1/7, and each bucket of water can make 1/7 water area when spilled. Therefore my Idea for a water replicator is this:

Code: [Select]
+++++
+o+.+
+++++
+ - floor,
o - well,
. - "pour water here" zone channeled to water level.

Would this work the way I think, it would?
If not, would it work with 2 such sites, oscilsting (that is each site has either well or water collection zone enabled, and I switch them after one well runs dry)?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 04:39:38 pm by Maklak »
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: Water replicator - would this work?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 06:51:04 pm »

You can produce water easier by freezing and melting it. 3/7 water or higher freezes to an ice wall, which melts to 7/7 water.

That might work, though. Try it and report!
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 06:52:04 pm »

Try it.

But still, you can always use a screw pump. They turn 1/7 water into 7/7 all the time, and would need... less buckets?

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 06:54:57 pm »

You can produce water easier by freezing and melting it. 3/7 water or higher freezes to an ice wall, which melts to 7/7 water.

I already do, in my current fort I made a moat from murky pools, and now its full. Its jut that not every biome is freezing, and this method needs large channels on the surface for anything water-intensive, like obsidian. A replicator would be safer and "dwarfier".
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 06:56:05 pm »

Try it.

But still, you can always use a screw pump. They turn 1/7 water into 7/7 all the time, and would need... less buckets?
I'm pretty sure they do not.  As far as my experiments can tell, screw pumps won't pick up 1/7 water at all, and seem to perfectly conserve water quantity when pumping larger amounts of water.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 07:43:49 pm »

Try it.

You're thinking of a very old version (think 0.27.169.33g) - not even 40d's screw pumps behaved that way.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

morgoththegreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 09:18:42 pm »

Regarding the original subject, that isn't how it works, unfortunately. When the dwarf fills the bucket from the well it always drops the level by one.  I'm not sure how this jives with the "10 uses" thing, but it probably has to do with the fact that the bucket gets "water [10]" in it. When he dumps it out, you get one water back out. Try it yourself, I just did.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 11:20:09 pm »

In 40d I got a fully-automated water factory going on a freezing climate using magma to melt/unmelt water constantly. I know of no reason why it couldn't be extended to 2010.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 12:32:09 am »

With not every climate being freezing though, is there a reliable, biome-independent way to replicate water. Someone needs to do some serious !science! on the subject.

The best I can think of uses ice in some way. Is there any material with a low enough temperature to freeze water in a non-freezing climate? If so, you could make some kind of containment cell out of it, pour water in, freeze it, and melt again for delicious infinite water. That's the best I've got for now.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Teamwork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 01:18:24 am »

I already do, in my current fort I made a moat from murky pools, and now its full. Its jut that not every biome is freezing, and this method needs large channels on the surface for anything water-intensive, like obsidian. A replicator would be safer and "dwarfier".

I honestly don't think that moat is going to be any use during the winter.
Urist McUseless: Stop right there, criminal scum! Nobody defies mandates on MY watch!
Urist McInnocent: Bite me!

*CENSORED DUE TO EXTREMELY GRATUITOUS VIOLENCE*

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 11:55:11 am »

In one of my fortresses, I had a water section, in which I allowed it to rain in, and then as the room filled, floodgates would open, letting the water constantly expand into the other rooms. I then just could pump it out when I needed more.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 12:09:45 pm »

Unless you pipe magma beneath it while the enemy is walking over it. *SPLOOSH*
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 04:38:52 pm »

Well, it already killed 2 of my workers when it froze, but that was when it was still only half full.

Yeah, so I guessed my idea was too good to be true, or someone would figure it out by now. Ice replication it is. I've built floodgates to farm my moat for water.
On mining Organics
Dropbox referral

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Water replicator - would this work? [Answer: No, use Ice instead]
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 05:40:38 pm »

Instead of going into overly complicated arcane procedures to get free water, why not do something like, mod some random cheap yet reasonably uncommon gem to be an aquifer.  I did this with microcline once, and that was an interesting fort, but after playing with it a bit I started to get annoyed at the size of the clusters so was thinking about doing a gem instead next time.  This does mean your 'water generators' are in random places, but that sort of cancels out the cheatyness imo.   8)
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water replicator - would this work? [Answer: No, use Ice instead]
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 06:10:45 pm »

Aquifer stone isn't always aquifer. It's just aquifer-capable.
Pages: [1] 2