Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What do you look for when you choose an embark for your megaproject?  (Read 1384 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile

So let's say you want to build something great, would you be picky on material? Stone and/or wood and/or glass? Would you stick to obsidian cause they can be created ad infinitum? Share your view and inspire each other!!

In example I like my stuff white (Rock salt <3) or green (Olivine) I find white wall have nice contrast, easy to spot and look pretty decent on the tile set I use (phoebus) while green floors very easy on the eyes and is an excellent backdrop for other things, such as white furniture/decoration or living creatures.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 05:42:22 am by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you look for when you choose an embark for your megaproject?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 12:46:46 pm »

I only look for flat ground.
I make all my megaconstructs out of gold cause its gold. Sometimes I'll decorate with platinum or aluminum. Also, diamond windows.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 12:49:16 pm »

Alas, playing since late 40d days I have not started a megaproject. Although I did create a massive wall about 5 z-levels thick and 10 z-levels high made of solid iron running all the way across the map.

Lekegolo Khanid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 01:41:54 pm »

Alas, playing since late 40d days I have not started a megaproject. Although I did create a massive wall about 5 z-levels thick and 10 z-levels high made of solid iron running all the way across the map.

lol that would be x or y levels thick XD

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 01:43:46 pm »

Oh har har, aren't you so witty.

Gamer of Indie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 02:03:34 pm »

Mostly, I look for very flat terrain with a river, but not too many pools. Heavy vegetation is nice, especially if you plan to use lots of wood in your mega project. Right now I plan to build a sort of underwater fortress: exploit the infinite water of the river by digging a huge valley and building a fortress beneath it, then flooding it all. Of course, the fortress will be sealed up so that it in turn doesn't get flooded. Though the nobles' bedrooms will be specially designed with a "cleaning" system to flush out any mandates that tend to gunk up their rooms.
Everyone knows dwarves pass knowledge through a mass collective, fueled by alcohol. Hence their inability to sustain themselves over long periods with water; they lose the dwarven empathic connection, and become singular and... sane. Which in turn drives them crazy!

Schmlok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 05:57:58 pm »

Flat, sand, and a volcano.

I lucked out and found a flat/sand(only)/volcano/brook on a 5x5, but it's dying to spatter and pathfinding :(