Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No cave fish available (bug?)  (Read 3917 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
No cave fish available (bug?)
« on: December 20, 2010, 05:03:49 pm »

I saved my embark profile (probably still lame, but better than original).
But I have to problems
- how can I load profile and modify it and later really embark?
- anyway, this problem is negated by next - "Embark preparations were not completed. No cave fish available."

But I have possibility to add 2 (identical, probably bug) types of cave fish.

So - what is happening?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 05:12:27 pm by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
Re: No cave fish available
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 05:18:56 pm »

The game is just warning you that some item in your embark list is not available in your current embark location - could be a bug if you really have identical cave phish available. ::)
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 05:27:14 pm »

Shouldn't the two types be male and female fish?

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 05:31:07 pm »

When you embark on a new fort, instead of just:
PLAY NOW!
PREPARE FOR THE JOURNEY CAREFULLY...

You'll also have under that:
WHATEVER YOU CALLED YOUR EMBARK PROFILE

Which when you pick it, will load up (as it appears to have done) and tell you of anything that can't be loaded because it doesn't exist in the new area. Add some more stuff (you also get the points back for whatever it was) and either save it as a new one (you can't replace them) or just embark with it.

The "Identical" cave fish are either gender, but because it has no ingame effect, it doesn't display the relevant icons. The fact that it was a 'problem' might just be because they were originally different types of fish. Not sure on that bit.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 05:35:20 pm »

The problem is that you are embarking under a different dwarven civ than does not provide cave fish at embark.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 05:39:43 pm »

@mrbaggins, shlorf, Illanair - thanks for help!
@FuzzyZergling "But I have possibility to add 2 (identical, probably bug) types of cave fish."
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

mrbaggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 08:34:42 pm »

IE: you've been told you can't take cave fish, but you can add cave fish as a new item...

Dunno. Just roll with it :P

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 08:35:26 pm »

The problem is that you are embarking under a -different dwarven civ- that has different cave fish.

Fixed.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 01:05:02 am »

The embark screen names them "cave fish" but there are several distinct kinds; take a look at the food you have when you actually embark, and it'll show what breed of fish you got.

Other warning messages like that are common but not a problem, such as your chosen civ not having a certain type of wood or meat.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: No cave fish available (explained)
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 08:47:26 am »

There is only a single species of cave fish defined in the raws.  It is called 'cave fish', shows up as 'cave fish' on your embark screen.  Other types of fish you see on your embark screen are not cave fish.  If you see cave fish listed twice as an option, it is because the game lists male and female cave fish as separate creatures.

The error in the OP is because the poster saved an embark profile that included cave fish, then loaded it with a civilization that did not have access to cave fish.  This can be corrected by going into the embark screen and selecting a different kind of meat instead of cave fish.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 12:39:54 pm »

No, that's not true: I have an embark profile that includes cave fish. Every time, the "No cave fish" message shows. Every time, the civ has cave fish (male and female). Every time, I apply some minor adjustments to the profile, add cave fish again and save the profile. I think the cave fish are bugged.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 02:41:19 pm »

Ditto with above, I think it's to do with different civs but it doesn't always happen when I switch civs so I'm not 100% sure. It'll tell me there's no cave fish and remove it from my list, but I add both cave fish back to my list. I think once there actually was no cave fish (but turtles :)) but that was only once.

Not sure what the problem is, but as per above just roll with.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Fancy Admiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 04:14:19 pm »

Right, so to summarize:

You have saved an embark profile which includes something called "cave fish" which, when you load the profile, reports a problem "No cave fish available."  You then go to the itemized list and add a [n]ew item, look up fish, and see two kinds of cave fish ready for you to choose.  Presumably these are male and female variants.

I've noticed the same bug, which it almost certainly is, and use it to great effect.  I get to name my group and fortress, or choose one of the pseudorandom ones which doesn't totally suck, and still use my custom profile.  I have no idea what causes it, though.

I do like the suggestion that when you embark they are called, simply, "cave fish", but when you actually look at "cave fish" locally (on site), they are called something specific for that site.  I somewhat doubt this, however.  But I'll need to test it out when I get home.