Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What self-limits do you use?  (Read 4246 times)

qoonpooka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What self-limits do you use?
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2010, 10:25:06 am »

These should have been challenge builds and put on the wiki!

Distillation Plant: All water must be distilled first. IE- Treat all water as if were salinated or has potential for infection, even if not. Let's not risk our citizens' health just because the water was "just there". Especially relevant in haunted/evil/terrifying biomes.
    BONUS: Boil the water first, instead of using desalination pumps.
    MEGABONUS: Make it rain.
Fixed!
Building Permits: Structures must follow a building code.
BONUS: Make it a succession game.  Former players become a 'city council' that may arbitrarily vote to change the code.
BONUS: Require teardowns on any buildings that remain off-code for longer than 5 years.
MEGABONUS: Mandatory demolition of off-code buildings, on the spot.
MEGA-MEGABONUS: Replace city council with five six year olds.

Sewers: All towns or large fortresses must have some sort of plumbing with flowing water. Pumps may or may not be required.
BONUS: Must drain downstream from drinking water source.

Anthill SimAnt: Not all stone can be used for manufacturing. For every 5 stones found, 1 must be constructed atop an access point as a wall/ramp from the access point to underground. Look at ant colony structures for reference. (Prerequisites for additional challenge: GCS is a must. No stairways, only ramps.) (CAUTION: To ease up on the size of the hills, make multiple openings. It may compromise security however.) (Bonus points if: You can force castes via burrows (Breeders, workers, and warriors))... You know what? Let's just rename this limit/challenge to SimAnt.
This is a thing of beauty.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2010, 10:28:53 am »

No weaponized drawbridges. Using them for garbage disposal is acceptable, smashing them over some poor fool's head is not.

No quantum stockpiles. Garbage dump zones are for garbage and to-be-smashed stone only.

Cage traps are acceptable, but only if they're out in the field - typically placed where wild animals path so I might get lucky and grab an elephant or something.

Hunters get metal bolts only. This is less an actual limit and more of a practicality, as I need those bone/wooden bolts for training and my hunters get sadistic and wasteful when using them instead of copper or iron bolts.

No danger rooms. Wooden spikes coming outta the floor at random intervals is not an accurate depiction of glorious, bloody battle.

No editing Raws to provide an advantage other than getting rid of Aquifers, and making certain animals Tamable (but NOT war-trainable).

No seizing goods (or stealing through other means) unless I'm trying to go to war. Pissing off the elves by offering wood products after I've concluded trading is, of course, fair game.

All dwarves get unique, reasonable accommodations at my earliest convenience for providing them. 2x2 room minimum, Bed, Cabinet, Coffer. The latter two are made of glass if possible simply because it kicks ass.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2010, 02:09:03 pm »

No danger rooms for me, either.  They were great to use a couple of times, but they also took quite a bit of the FUN away.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2010, 02:45:07 pm »

Wow, lots of good responses!

I was debating turning caverns off for a while as they offer up free water, underground farming and a variety of other things, but then I figured that might limit magma and certainly would limit FBs (I'd think..) so I turned them down to one (helps with FPS too).

Debating not using any kind of doorways in my next fort, we'll see how this one goes (Still getting practice with using a large military).

-MB

TheSummoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2010, 02:51:29 pm »

I tend to pick a theme for my fortress and go from there...

Maybe I want every wall (even those underground) to be made of constructed ice...

Maybe I want a fishing town on the side of a lake/ocean where everything is made of wood...

Maybe I want to make an actual underground city where I carve out a massive multi Z-level cavern and create an actual city inside with taverns, housing, etc...

That sort of thing.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2010, 04:30:32 pm »

Nobles are always treated well, provided multiple layers of security, and must absolutely be protected, safe, and have lavish throne rooms.

Dwarves are to be treated well, kept safe, healthy, well fed, and drunken at all times. Its okay if a dwarf occasionally drinks some water instead of booze until another still comes online, but the idea should be to have stills running continually.

All dwarves get large, 3x3 rooms. Enough rooms for the entire fortress is ideal, however as I run very large fortresses (250+ dwarves) the population often times outstrips living space, in which case there are slums scattered around the underbelly of the fortress until an apartment vacancy opens up.

All dwarves are put into a caste depending on their skills upon arrival to the fortress. At the top are the nobles, then forge lords, then stone lords, jewelers, scribes (mechanics + medics), merchants, and then the lower class woodsmen and finally the commoners. Upper class dwarves are not expendable. They are above hauling. Commoners make up 80%+ of the fortress and do all of the gruntwork as well as form the military.

All dwarves trying to move from one caste to another via strange mood will be dealt with, severely. Exception: possessed moods provide no experience, and so those dwarves are allowed to complete their artifacts. A fey mood peasant trying to join the merchant class by claiming a workshop will be put down.

No bone artifacts. Because they're bugged. All dwarves attempting to create a bone artifact are to be put down.

No excessive use of traps. Traps must be used in moderation. No drawbridge crushing traps, those are lame.

No killing of caravans. Caravans must be protected if at all possible.

No killing of migrants. All migrants are welcome. I can always use more commoners to haul things around or to join the military.

Steel weapons and arms only. No better, no worse. Masterworks only. Only steel. All military equipment failing to be masterworks are sent back and melted down.

All weapons and arms must be decorated with obscene levels of bling.

A plumbing, water purification, drainage, and ventilation system must be built. Safeguards must be built to ensure that should building destroyers run amok and destroy every single building object, water/magma will passively drain away to prevent fortress flooding, or to limit flooding only to small areas.

All important rooms must be more than one Z level tall. Preferably 4-5 Z levels tall.

Scraggletag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2010, 04:35:45 pm »

I'm playing around with the idea of setting CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX in the worldgen settings to 10 instead of 100.

In general, this means that most Dwarven civilizations will still have access to underground plants, but the caverns on any particular embarkation area will probably be barren. No underground shrubs or trees will grow when there isn't any water in your caverns (except Blood Thorns in the 3rd) but the cavern floors are still muddied.

Except for creatures which require water (like cave crocodiles or giant olms) you still get a wide variety of nasties down there.

Water still shows up rarely in the caverns and brings all sorts of plants along with it. I run reveal once just after embarking to make sure my caverns are plant free.

It effectively makes caverns more of a liability and less of an asset.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2010, 09:29:45 pm »

Good idea with the dry caverns... haven't really explored the new worldgen options yet.

Generally I try to be nice to my dwarves, within reason. (If the map needs a cleaning because they leave it dirty above ground and track sand all over the place and all over themselves, then out into the rain they go.) There might only be one bed in the dorm and one set of table and chairs, but since I don't go above 20 dwarves until I can handle moods that's not all that awful. There are always varied prepared meals available. Usually varied, anyway. Mmm, fatsup.

No wooden axes for woodcutting (wtf, that's as crazy as the minimalist embark where you build a forge from ashes).

No atomsmashing except for owned items of clothing, which I have an irrational hatred of.

No casual sacrifice of dwarves. Hold the bridge to buy time? Fine. Hold the bridge while I drop you into the underground for some impromptu spelunking? Nope.

No abandoning dwarves in danger. Unless they've already been beaten half to death by an ogre or something, in which case a civilian bumrush on the offending attacker would cause more harm. If you can't move after an accident, you get a hospital set up. (But if you can, you'd better get on with it even if you got your nose ripped off by a skeletal giant eagle or have numerous fractures.) No euthanasia for cripples.*

No danger rooms.

No killing nobles, and their rooms have to be separated instead of being a shared area with all their stuff contributing to the value. 'Course, without appointing a dwarf to dole out punishments, it doesn't really matter what they think about missed mandates.

No killing pets. Any cats that turn up will be neutered via raws.

No killing migrants.

Traps must either be made from scratch (ie. with mechanisms and power and bucket brigades) or used sparingly. No gauntlets of cage or weapon traps.

No relying on invader's crap for trading, no stealing from the caravans. I do sieze animals from elves if I've forgotten to mod in a liaison for them, because buying animals in an attempt to persuade them to bring more only results in more cloth. This is particularly hilarious in fortresses where my main exports are cloth and cloth goods, and of a quality that they can never match.

Caravans should be protected. This never happens. Needs more dwarves than I want to handle.

Liquids (hot or cold) are to be handled in as safe a manner as possible.

Modding: Tried making DM an appointable position, didn't really work out (regen required? DM announcement required by game?). Made the animals themselves non-exotic but kept the DM on anyway for verisimilitude. The position does regular labour and is not exempt from punishments, but otherwise the demands are the same and the DM should be appointed on embark to match the animals' breeding tags.

Most of these don't often come up as I'd rather play with invaders off and keep a low population than have to deal with the things on the list. I'm perfectly happy pottering around on a site and just watching my dwarves do stuff.

*Though there should be no such thing as I modded nerves to have a healing rate of 4000 and brains to have a healing rate of 8000. But they're still going to be bedridden for a long time.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2010, 10:58:54 pm »

No danger rooms ever.

No killing off migrants.  Even if they have the worst stats ever and no useful skills.  Sometimes I savescum, but since that costs months of lost progress, I feel it kind of evens out.

No culling cats or dogs unless starvation is imminent, leather and/or bones are needed for a mood, or a dog with particularly awful traits needs to be taken out of the breeding pool.

Unhappy dwarves get coddled if they have good reason to be unhappy.  Carp bit off a fisherwoman's toe and her kid just got kidnapped, AND she got rained on?  Build her a custom 3x3 zoo with a favored animal or something.

No killing the subterranean animal people.  (Especially not the local colony of antpeople, who have already disposed of two clowns.)
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]