Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What self-limits do you use?  (Read 4250 times)

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What self-limits do you use?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 08:04:04 pm »

Gottcha, thank you.  Yea I suppose it could be luck but random chance makes the game more exciting to me (sometimes it helps, sometimes it hurts..).

-MB

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 08:04:33 pm »

A 4chan meme if I recall.  It's referring to Super Smash Brothers "pros" who demand to play on a small, flat stage with no havocs, no items, just you and your opponent.

I always hated Final Destination.  So boring. :\

PS edit:  And here I decided to be nice and type it out...

The full meme went something like:
Fox! (character generally agreed to be one of the best in the game) No items! (to prevent randomness) Final destination! (least random stage in the game).

then it expanded from there
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 08:06:03 pm »

Applying some realism can always be a limit.

If need be, build in a semi-realistic fashion with buildings or other projects (EX: Bloodfist's development; make skeleton and infrastructure before developing the rest of the structure. As well, work floor-by-floor).

If we want to apply this limit to more extremes, scaffolding is a necessity for large structures, but cannot be exclusively stairs everywhere (too easy), but are ramps and floors (more what scaffolding really looks like).

Distillation Plant: All water must be distilled first. IE- Treat all water as if were salinated or has potential for infection, even if not. Let's not risk our citizens' health just because the water was "just there". Especially relevant in haunted/evil/terrifying biomes. If possible, boil the water first, instead of using desalination pumps.

Stone quarries must be handled like quarries should be handled. Find pictures for reference.

Selective Harvesting (of trees): Especially if having a wood economy (lots of wooden structures or objects/items/buildings), preserve the environment in aesthetic, and income. Be selective with what trees you collect. Elvish it sounds, this can be a great help for island embarks. Especially if you can't collect stone due to aquifers.

Building Permits: Structures must follow a building code.

Guilds: Make use of those burrows to form guilds.

Sewers: All towns or large fortresses must have some sort of plumbing with flowing water. Pumps may or may not be required.

Aqueduct: Similar to sewers, embark a distance away from a water source (river/brook/aquifer), and make an aqueduct.
 -If you want, do similar with magma instead.

...Why do I sense that I might make another list of sorts?

Here's another (set of ideas):

Migrant Gauntlet: Make an alternating spike-strip repeater system (3x3 may work; can double as an anti-ambush/siege system as well.) for the entryway of your fortress. Of course, this only applies to new migrants, nobody else. (2 migrant burrows may be required. MigrantA and MigrantB. A=Gauntlet start, B=Gauntlet end.) Sort out the remaining migrants for their tasks. Lost someone potentially useful? Too bad. Alternatively, you can make an obstacle course for them; let's hope they survive it. You can deal with the migrant wave now, or stockpile migrants and feed them until you decide to overwhelm the gauntlet.

Warrior Proving Grounds: Similar to Migrant Gauntlet, but this is an annual test for all your warriors. The elite have to cross the migrant gauntlet as well in their test. Lost a really useful trooper? Too bad. Tantrum Spiral occur due to thick bonds between warrior and etc.? Have fun.

Capitalism Ho!: Start your economy as early as possible, and work deal with it.

Nobles, but No Bliss: You cannot commit regicide with any noble unit, no matter how much you hate them.

Carbon-Copy: Design your towns/fortresses in a similar manner to what you see in Adventure Mode (Old and New). Includes ill-planned bridges, huge farmlands, and hamlets and etc.

This Isn't Minecraft!: With only 1 dwarf, establish a settlement and survive. They'll be equipped with all the necessities and be assigned all tasks. Pre-Requisite: Terrifying biome (skeletal creatures and zombies abound. GCS is a bonus). Further bonus if it converts well into MC with the DF-to-MC converter.

More Elaborate City Infrastructure: Structures that can, and probably must be created in your town/city: Immigration office, Courthouse (complete with courtroom), Police station, Hospital/clinic, market/supermarket (all structures must be built to code).

Tourism Industry: Especially if you have a scenic view, or an island embark; make use of burrows and construct a tourism industry, and see if you can integrate tourists into becoming citizens of your town/city/fortress. (economy required)

Anthill SimAnt: Not all stone can be used for manufacturing. For every 5 stones found, 1 must be constructed atop an access point as a wall/ramp from the access point to underground. Look at ant colony structures for reference. (Prerequisites for additional challenge: GCS is a must. No stairways, only ramps.) (CAUTION: To ease up on the size of the hills, make multiple openings. It may compromise security however.) (Bonus points if: You can force castes via burrows (Breeders, workers, and warriors))... You know what? Let's just rename this limit/challenge to SimAnt.

SimTower: In the same vein of the above challenge/limit, we're essentially making a DF conversion of a classic. In this challenge, the prerequisite is that you must be working with the "Capitalism Ho!" limit; so early economy is a must. If you've played SimTower before, you know what to do and expect. If you haven't, just try the game out before you attempt to replicate it (and for a unique challenge: go for 100 floors, and also follow the star prerequisites as featured in-game). It's like the tower challenge, but you must have a working economy to build a tower upwards and onwards. Have fun with this one. At least you have the benefit of working on this in a 3-dimensional space/scale. Scoring is based on the value of the building. Obsidian-casting is allowed. Figure out how to make an elevator system (which BTW is a 30-floor limit, so place wisely). Lobbies cannot have anything inside (or at least, Floor 1 cannot have anything inside). Build them every 15 floors. Speaking of which, express elevators only go to other lobby floors (and can individually reach underground floors as well), and has no height limits. To make this one aggravatingly more challenging: Build it to code. Add cubicles as well if you must if it's an office. Restaurants/pubs must be built like restaurants/pubs. Security offices = Barracks. Oh, and with the Star requirements, 1 Dwarf = 100 people; for FPS reasons.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 09:15:15 pm by Itnetlolor »

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 08:24:56 pm »

Those are some cool ideas, particularly the migrant gauntlet..

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2010, 08:30:17 pm »

Capitalism Ho!: Start your economy as early as possible, and work deal with it.

I suppose you'd name that fortress ResetTear?
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

BaronVonBullshit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2010, 08:49:40 pm »

I never create a hospital or a military. I'm not a huge warmonger tbh, so I'm perfectly fine with having a completely inaccessible fort :D

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2010, 09:25:38 pm »

I only use traps when they are beside a wall and have a roof over them.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 09:31:17 pm »

I try to act as if all the little people are actually real. You know, not throw their lives away, treat them with respect, take their feelings into consideration.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 09:33:43 pm »

I try to act as if all the little people are actually real. You know, not throw their lives away, treat them with respect, take their feelings into consideration.
Except migrants. They have no feelings.

But anyway, nice to see somebody that feels the same way  :D

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 09:36:17 pm »

I like to put effort into not killing them. I save a life when ever possible... But I can't help but see the funny side when one does die, in a most benny hill type fashion.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 09:44:37 pm »

I'm sorta the same, I try very hard to keep them alive and happy, but sometimes they find such amusing (or heroic) ways to die.  I will say the few I do name (after friends and family, and myself of course) I try to protect with everything I have.

-MB

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling DFer, Legendary Lazy, Proficient Sleeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 09:58:31 pm »

I think I'm going to institute the following on my next fort [my current one is slugging along when I do play and I can't bear to quit it for a fresh start yet]:
1: Dwarves can only do what they are trained to do, they will have all skilled abilities [hauling and recovery/care of wounded exceptions] active and no untrained skills active. This includes Noble catagory skills such as manager, trading, and militia commander. Expedition leader is the exception [though 1 rank in leadership or a similar skill to a dwarf might be required later on]
2: Any and all Dwarves with any military skills [exception being seige operation/construction] will be militia'd at the first chance. they will be expected to do their normal tasks when not on duty.
3: Untrained dwarves with no military skills will not be removed, they will be an issue unless one were to run into something hostile and gain some wrestling skill inadvertantly from something...
4: No danger room. Conventional Training or trial by fire only
5: [unsure of this one] workshops will be limited to one dwarf and one dwarf only, and will not be deconstructed. this one I'm not sure of yet, as it requires a skilled manager to set up specific dwarves per shop period, but I'll probably keep it anyway.
6: when choosing skills and supplies for embark, each dwarf needs at least 3 skill points set to 3 different skills minimum, and can bring no more then 10 unique types of meats. Seeds and drinks can be brought in any quantity per type.

Now I just need to get off the 3@#$^%& minecraft... sigh, poor WoW, all these good alphas doing better then it and me with no time to play em all...

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....
The last.... 4+ pages.... all demons.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 10:01:51 pm »

I will usually try to save migrants and let them in, but if an ambush or a siege comes I will not think twice about locking them outside.

MythagoWoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware it's deadly sway!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 10:15:46 pm »

Which is why I use the, naked, trial by fire method.  Go into the militiary, go wrasslin', go RUSH THE AMBUSH/SIEGE/DRAGON!  Good job, those of you that survive get armor, weapons, and a place in my actual squads.  Gotten some good mlitary dwarves this way.
My cows are war trainable. BEWARE THE BATTLE CATTLE!

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 10:21:28 pm »

Which is why I use the, naked, trial by fire method.  Go into the militiary, go wrasslin', go RUSH THE AMBUSH/SIEGE/DRAGON!  Good job, those of you that survive get armor, weapons, and a place in my actual squads.  Gotten some good mlitary dwarves this way.

How very Dwarvinian of you!
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4